3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Treestand in " my blind spot "  (Read 324 times)

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
Treestand in " my blind spot "
« on: July 30, 2012, 05:38:00 PM »
Over the last 10 years or so I had a blind location that I've been using. My newphew built it and shoot his frist deer from it. It's one of those spots that produces lots of shoot opportunitys on 2 to 3 year old bucks. It's like my back up when I need some meat. I think between my newphew and I we have taken 6 deer form it. Two years ago I found that someone had used my blind a few times( I didnt mind). Then last year I didn't draw a deer tag and I didn't hunt it but I did see a treestand there. I didn't pay much attention to it until this year when I went to freshen up the ground blind. Now the treestand is back with a big trophy rock block to boot. The old blind should have stood out but I guess that don't matter to some. I've never killed a big one from the blind but it is a place I do like to hunt from time to time. I will just have to find another better spot to sit this year I guess.

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Treestand in " my blind spot "
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 05:53:00 PM »
Happens to the best of us, especially on public land. Some "hunters" see a decent spot and nobody's there once or twice and BOOM, it's taken over. Public land hunting for me is a constant struggle every season to find good hunting. You could hunt it still, but when was the other guy there last, spreading scent and spooking game? Gotta be quite mobile nowadays to avoid frustration and disappointment...I feel your pain.

Good luck to you and your nephew this year, sometimes it can be a blessing in disguise...
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 05:58:00 PM »
ditto above.
I've lost more hunting spots the week before rifle than I care to remember.

Problem is I really dislike finding a "new" spot only to find out I was encroaching on someone else's spot...
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 06:12:00 PM »
you could always go to barber shop and collect a garbage bag of human hair and spread it around the blind before you leave...  :)
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 06:20:00 PM »
i wouldnt give up my spot to easily, i would just keep hunting it and maybe meet up with the intruder, and find out what his shcedule is for hunting. some guys just dont hunt much. you never know. but i would let him know i was there first.

Offline Glunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 06:54:00 PM »
I would leave a note.   Explain that you have hunted this spot for years from the ground blind, would like to continue hunting it but you don't want to mess up other folks, and would like to know when they are hunting.  Leave your number or email.  Nothing to lose and you might find you get your spot back or meet a new friend.

If that doesn't work, leave another note a couple weeks later apologizing for accidently choosing his tree for firewood. :^)

Online Chumster

• BOEUF 2019
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 07:17:00 PM »
I would agree with Glunt, only the note would be handed to them as I walked to my blind around 7:00a.m. as I walked into my blind, late.
Never wait too long!

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 07:24:00 PM »
Are trophy rocks legal where this land is located?

If not, avoid it.

Glunt's note idea is good otherwise.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 07:33:00 PM »
In many states, stands on public land are first come first serve, even if they are privatly owned stands.  Therefor, you could hunt from his stand if you are so inclined.  I never have, but public land policies being what they are, it's an idea.
Silence is golden.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »
I've lived in FL, LA, AZ, and WA and to my knowledge permanent stands are illegal in all of those states on public land as are salt blocks.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 09:47:00 PM »
If you want to be a jerk, install a couple more stands in the same tree as his but just below his, then sit your stand.  Technically is the same thing he did to you.  

It drives me nuts seeing tree stands on public property.  If it were me, I would hunt the spot but also look for other spots.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 07:43:00 AM »
Lately there has been a fair amount of talk of paying attention to old tree stands.. (The thought is that there was a reason for it being there then, probably still good today)
Well some of us hunters probably don't worry too much about the "old" aspect of it.
That being said I always try and keep my stand sights, approach lanes etc as inconspicuous as possible.

Things like trimmed branches etc shout of my presence to both the prey and other hunters.

I feel if I can hide for other hunters I am half way home from hiding.

The "conspicuous" aspect of your blind may have just been a beacon for the new hunter a a possible hot spot and the fact your blind was not hunted out of last year may have in his mind said it was vacated..

Just get a hold of him and talk it out.

Probably work for both of you.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 09:22:00 AM »
I may have mis-read the post -- but if you didn't hunt it at all last year...I wouldn't say the guy is in the wrong as many here have suggested  

Public land is just that -- public.  Hanging a stand or putting a blind up indefinately doesn't make it yours for infinity.  To be honest, he has the same right to hunt that area as you do.  Make no mistake -- I would be frustrated if I were you -- we've all been there.  But if you didn't hunt a stand site for a full season, are all other hunters just supposed to avoid it indefinately because someone had hunted there before?  How is that hunter supposed to know that the spot is not vacated?

If you can run into him, then chat with him and he may be very understanding, who knows.  On the other hand, he could be one of those that hangs 10 stands a year on public ground and thinks those spots are then his exclusively.  

Permanent stands and blinds are not the same as property deeds.  I grew up hunting national forest and took a stand in and brought it out each sit simply because in my area where I grew up -- that was the thought process, "if I hang a stand or a blind here, then this is my property".  That's simply not true.  

If I were you, and you really like this spot, I'd continue to hunt it just as you always have.  It's always been public land so more than likely, there has always been some people moving through there when you weren't in your blind.  This shouldn't change deer patterns.  Good luck!!!!!
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 09:44:00 AM »
It's really ok that this has happened guys. I have more places that I will want to hunt than time anyways. I guess it would be hard to tell that I had a ground blind in there in the past. It's more of a ground nest tuck under an old tree that made a natural blind almost by it self. Yes bait is legal here but he will have his hands full if they move the sheep in that canyon, which happens about every other year. Those range magots sure love that salt and it will be hard to keep them off of it.
I do agree with you Earl E. I scout other hunters as much as I do the game and keep my foot print low. I have to drive my wife blazer if I'm hunting a few of my elk spots other wise people that know me will think I'm on elk even if they are not in there.

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 09:51:00 AM »
Originally posted by J. Cook:
I may have mis-read the post -- but if you didn't hunt it at all last year...I wouldn't say the guy is in the wrong as many here have suggested  

Public land is just that -- public.  Hanging a stand or putting a blind up indefinately doesn't make it yours for infinity.  To be honest, he has the same right to hunt that area as you do.  Make no mistake -- I would be frustrated if I were you -- we've all been there.  But if you didn't hunt a stand site for a full season, are all other hunters just supposed to avoid it indefinately because someone had hunted there before?  How is that hunter supposed to know that the spot is not vacated?

If you can run into him, then chat with him and he may be very understanding, who knows.  On the other hand, he could be one of those that hangs 10 stands a year on public ground and thinks those spots are then his exclusively.  

Permanent stands and blinds are not the same as property deeds.  I grew up hunting national forest and took a stand in and brought it out each sit simply because in my area where I grew up -- that was the thought process, "if I hang a stand or a blind here, then this is my property".  That's simply not true.  

If I were you, and you really like this spot, I'd continue to hunt it just as you always have.  It's always been public land so more than likely, there has always been some people moving through there when you weren't in your blind.  This shouldn't change deer patterns.  Good luck!!!!!
I agree with this 100%.  Public land is just that, public.  Leaving a stand up overnight or for the season is nothing more than staking a claim on a piece of public land.  

Even if a person hangs a stand and has no intention of keeping others out and has the attitude that "I don't care if others hunt it when I'm not there", the end result is the same.  Most people will avoid your stand out of courtesy and the fact that they don't know you or your intent.  

Your blind is actually the same as the treestand that was left there.  A little less visible unless it's a very extravagant blind, and less convenient to set up or remove, but in essence has the same effect of the treestand.  You have the attitude that you don't care if others use it when you aren't there, but what if they are in your blind before you?  Is that ok?  Do you move on or confront the person in your blind on public land?  Most people will avoid and not use your blind or stand out of respect and the desire to avoid a confrontation in the woods.  They are in effect "honoring" your claim on that spot.

Bottom line is it's public land and it should be first come first served.  Leaving stands and blinds up on   public land just complicates things.

Good luck, hope it works out for you.  Hunting public land comes with it's own complications, getting along with other hunters is one of them.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 10:13:00 AM »
This is really a touchy subject for hard core public land hunters..like myself and a lot of people have different views on what's right.

I've hunted places that would have ladder stands every 100yds around clearings and uncountable numbers in the woods. Known some people who would just lean them against trees and never hunt them just to try and keep people out of an area.

Metal stands last a long time and who knows how many get used a few times and just left...same with climbers and loc-ons, not to mention permanent stands and blinds.

I've hunted with people who think that just because they hunt areas..and they hunt lots of areas..that no one else is suppose to hunt any of them and if you do you are no longer a friend.

I just don't hunt around other people if at all possible and so far it has been for quiet a few yrs.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2012, 11:28:00 AM »
I had scouted an area and set up a little ground blind, not much just some branches arranged to help break up my outline against a big oak.  First time the wind was right and I had the time I snuck in.  As I approached I saw a funny black smudge on the forest floor.  I thought some funky fungus, until I got right on it and it was a ton of maggots and black gook.  Realized it was a gut pile.  I looked up and 10 yards to the right of my ground blind was a tree stand.  Since I don't own the land all I could do was mentally curse and congratulate the owner and sit anyway hoping another deer would use the same trail. That is how it is if you hunt public ground.  I don't think the guy even knew my ground blind was that.  I also hung a climber 50 yards from his stand once some scrapes opened up.  He was not in the stand or I would have headed somewhere else.  I won't intrude if I know someone is hunting an area, but I also won't keep myself from taking advantage of fresh sign if an area is not being used by another hunter.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2012, 02:56:00 PM »
Two years ago I built a nice blind with natural stuff and dead branches and put my homemade Torges seat on the tree. We had some wheelie boys from Texas show up. One put in a tree stand on the tree that I had my Grizzly tree seat tied to a quarter mile north of my blind and the other put a tree stand on the tree 4 yards from my blind, he kicked my blind apart and tossed my Torges seat into a nearby creek bottom. I no longer like out of staters coming here and I have a thing for land hogs that think that their tree stands have dominance over anything close to the ground.  I am disabled and I cannot hunt out of tree stands, I wouldn't even if I could anymore, but I do put up two sections of a lander stand.  I use it to tie my wife's blind to, since it is connected to a tree stand the wheelie boys leave it alone.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2012, 04:11:00 PM »
Sorry to hear it Jimmy. I know of several places like that, and it's unfortunate for sure.

Pavan be careful about saying you do not like any out of staters hunting in your area, especially if you seek info in the future about any other state but your own  :)  Not all out of state guys act like them.

It's a shame that there is not much respect for others anymore, that's for sure.

Jimmy what are you worrying about deer for anyways  :)  You should be looking at other critters higher on the mountain  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2012, 04:52:00 PM »
You know, I have never lost a place that I didn't find a better one to replace it.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©