3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Of New Zealand Mountains & Alpine medows  (Read 4077 times)

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
Re: Of New Zealand Mountains & Alpine medows
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2007, 04:59:00 PM »
Thanks for all the kinds words lads. And yes New Zealand would have to rank as the most wonderfull country I've seen to date. A postcard in every direction. Friendly people too. I'm already planning on my next trip this time next year to take my wife back as we will be married 10 years next year. Not real sure if I should ask if I can hunt whilst we are there...  :help:  

Lord of The Rings is a good example on what the south isaland of NZ is like. Deep woods, clear mountain streams and tall rough mountains. Your a lucky man Jeff.

Just a small post today as I've been called into work today fellas but here is a mate of Terry's.

I was sitting glassing some deer when he walked up to me for a chat.

I'll post more as soon as I get work out of the way.....   "[dntthnk]"  

al
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2007, 05:14:00 PM »
WOW!

Man, ever since I saw the Lord of the Rings, I've wanted to see that country for myself. It's hard to believe there is such a beautiful, unspoiled place left on this earth. I can't wait to see more.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline j yenney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2007, 05:27:00 PM »
Nice pics, can't wait to move there (the 15th of may)
j yenney

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2007, 05:55:00 PM »
thanks bro but you should come to the north ILAND its just as good.LOL!!!
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2007, 06:06:00 PM »
Thanks Alan for the pics. and hope to hear more.

Alan, you live in quite a place yourself, I have seen some pics., just georgous, thanks. Alan.

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2007, 07:02:00 PM »
How could it be any more beautiful? I'd love to see that place!
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline j yenney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2007, 07:09:00 PM »
Hey Jeff,

I am moving to the north island, but plan on seeing all of it.
j yenney

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2007, 07:13:00 PM »
Awesome Aussie been wondering where you've been.Great shots there Bud keep them coming! Before I die I would love to see New Zealand I hear they've got trout as long as your leg in those streams too.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2007, 09:18:00 PM »
someones been pulling your leg me thinks  :goldtooth:    :biglaugh:   they are big but not that big LOL!!! yeah j yenney we spoke about that before.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline robslifts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2007, 09:52:00 PM »
this is gonna be a good one
St. Joe River Bows

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2007, 10:09:00 PM »
Beautiful arrows, Al.  You're quite a craftsman.    :thumbsup:     I'd be proud to splinter up a set of beautiful cedars in that country.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2007, 12:55:00 AM »
Thanks Mr knife river, by the looks of your web site you too have a craftsman way about you. Some of those heads... man.

But getting back to the story. As I stated before this was a semi guided hunt and the place we stayed @ catered for your rifle hunter more so than Bowhunters. I'd never in my life had to give an explaination on how my bow could kill.

You know the questions ... "Just how close do you have to be to kill an animal with a bow like that?" and after jumping a doe in the timber..."Quick .. shoot". It was only 70 odd yards away ...lol. But in all the lads were good to be with and had a wealth of hunting knowlage and yaers of Deer culling behind them. I just had to explain the way we Trad fellas like to do it. The best I could do was liken us to a FlyFisherman. That did the trick.

This is a pic of the 2nd morning out. Not ten minutes before, I was telling him all about Traditional archery when this shot happened. 32 yards downhill, ace hex blunt to the base of the skull = short blood trails and raised eyebrows.

Here endith the lesson.

Before my hunting mate and I started the hunt we spent 2 nights in Christchurch. Shopping for gifts, tasten the local beer and wines as well as the food. All top notch in my book, thats part of the reason I'm heading back... good tasting NZ red wines.

What we did find however, is a lot of shops selling New Zealand "Greenstone" or jade. Most of it is carved buy the locals and in some shops you can even find out, and read a wee bit on the person who actually carved your item.

I just loved the Greenstone. Here is what I bought for my family:

One can pay up to 2K NZD for a good greenstone carving item. But if you go, make sure it's New Zealand Greenstone. Some imports make it into the country I'm told. Wolfman Jeff could chime in here ?

This is mine that I wore hunting and as Green is my favorite colour I just felt very comfie with it on. I'll wear it when hunting from this day forward. Kinda my link to a top hunt and mother earth all in one.

Have to rush, be right back soon.

al
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2007, 01:01:00 AM »
Looks like a lot of fun, I am thinking that Ashley and me might just have to join you next year, then you would have an excuse to go hunting   :thumbsup:  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2007, 01:36:00 AM »
The four of us in Christchurch Jo-Jo, could mean only trouble...lol

Offline jindydiver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2007, 02:33:00 AM »
Great stuff Al

While you were tasting the reds did you save at least one night to get into the Marlborough Sound Sauvignon Blanc made just north of there? We like it so much we had a couple of cases shipped over for our wedding in 2001.

When do we get to the pics of the deer  :)

Mick

Offline 9 Mile Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2007, 02:40:00 AM »
Keep it coming we're loving the story.  p.s. as far as I'm concerned, both NZ and Oz have some of the most beautiful country and delightful people on earth.  I spent a month in Oz and 2 weeks in NZ back in 97 and have missed both countries since.  A good friend’s wife is from OZ and I've hosted her father and mother on many a fishing trip and stay at our ranch, I need to take him up on one of his many offers to come down and visit.
Andrew

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2007, 02:49:00 AM »
Awsome country, great pics. Can't wait for more. Hey, I've seen the guy with the white hair on TV.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2007, 02:50:00 AM »
G'day Mick,

Sorry mate, did not venture that far north. But I never tasted a bad one my whole time there.

This was the biggest hare I seen over there. And let me tell you the Ace Hex blunt was not a good option. I hit him 1/4 away and if I stalked another I'd reach for a Woodsman.

Have to really rush now.

al

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2007, 05:46:00 AM »
Great pics,  New Zealand looks to be amazing.

Offline Coachy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2007, 05:59:00 AM »
Looks like you were having fun over there    :)    I'm sure some Aussies would like to share in your adventure as well    :)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©