3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow cut off saw  (Read 614 times)

Online 1Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow cut off saw
« on: July 31, 2012, 08:42:00 PM »
Anyone using the Harbor Frieght cut off saw for arrows? Is there any blade wobble (uneven cut)? Are you using the metal blade or fiber blades for carbon. Thanks for all answers.

Offline Blue Tick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow cut off saw
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 08:48:00 PM »
I went through this process just a couple weeks ago. Some folks seem to like the HF saw with a few mods made to it, some don't like it at all. I went through and added up all the extras I would get with it to make it a little more user friendly and it was cheaper, actually even price wise to just buy a weston from bowhunters superstore. $100, got it late last week and it works like a champ.
Sarrels Blue Ridge SR "Autumn Hunter"
Lone Star Skull Works

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 08:52:00 PM »
I purchased one from HF and it was junk.  I would recommend NOT buying one.  You pay for what you get.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Rufus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 09:33:00 PM »
purchased one from HF and it was junk. I would recommend NOT buying one. You pay for what you get.

X2 Glad I could get my money back anyway.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 10:21:00 PM »
I use a fiber bladed cut off saw at work to cut my carbons to size. I get them all even in a tight bunch,tape them together,measure how much I need to remove,tape that area,then put a mark on the tape at that spot. Then I line it up,and hold them firmly,smooth even cut through all at once. rat'
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 10:59:00 PM »
Been useing one for years works great. There are the fiber blades for aluminumn and graphite and a wood blade also.  

I do not see any blade wobble or uneven cut.   :thumbsup:
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 11:11:00 PM »
I have a HF but it is too slow for wood. I went back to my 10" chop saw and can do a dozen shafts all at once.

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 11:23:00 PM »
I've been using a HF saw for quite a few years now, NO PROBLEMS.  I just bought the metal blades with it.

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 11:29:00 PM »
If you have a Dremel it will work better than the HF saw.  In fact I like it better than the Weston saw.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 11:37:00 PM »
I have a Harbor Freight mini chop saw,I use the fiber blade for cutting carbon and aluminum.It's has high speed but bogs down when you try to cut wood.I use my old Martin arrow saw for my wood arrows.The secret to get a good square cut is being able to rotate the arrow shaft as you cut.I mounted mine on a board and made an adjustable stop block for repeatable cuts.On the stop block I drilled a taper hole with a chamfer bit,this keeps the nock end center as you rotate.I'll just bring the blade into the shaft and rotate it as I cut,this gives you a squarer cut.Thats how the more expensive saws cut arrows,they only have a small portion of the blade exposed so you rotate the arrow as you cut.I've been using mine for last 3 years with no problems and only replacing the blade once.Because you only need to just cut into the shaft and not straight down through it.I've cut dozens of aluminum and carbons for myself and friends.When I bought mine it was only $19.95,I have less then $30 in my whole jig with the wood board and stop block.

Offline JMSmithy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 11:46:00 PM »
Hey Eflanders ( or any folks),

How do u go about using the Dremel?  One arrow at a time and hold steady I suppose or have u developed a different technique/jig?
" If you don't stand for something, you stand for nothing " - Me
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life Member UBNJ, NRA, SCI, TU, NAHC, SCI Chapter No American Handgun  Hunter Chapter, RGS

Offline DoubleB20

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 09:11:00 AM »
I use the Dremel too. One at a time, hold steady and cut. If it doesn't look exactly square, then you can touch it up. Works great for me.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 12:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by Blue Tick:
I went through this process just a couple weeks ago. Some folks seem to like the HF saw with a few mods made to it, some don't like it at all. I went through and added up all the extras I would get with it to make it a little more user friendly and it was cheaper, actually even price wise to just buy a weston from bowhunters superstore. $100, got it late last week and it works like a champ.
Exactly!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 12:42:00 PM »
No problems at all with my HF saw.  I use the fiber disks.  Its not like I cut more than 2-3 dozen shafts a year.   Plenty good and accurate for my use.

I cut my wood shafts on my band saw.
ChuckC

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 03:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by DoubleB20:
I use the Dremel too. One at a time, hold steady and cut. If it doesn't look exactly square, then you can touch it up. Works great for me.
ditto... I have used a Dremel for years.

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 05:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by creekwood:

Originally posted by DoubleB20:
ditto... I have used a Dremel for years. [/b]
Me three and the dremel is a valuable tool for other tasks when the arra cutting is done!

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2012, 09:13:00 AM »
another dremel guy....though I really need to make a jig for it.

I cut just short of the line, go all the way around the shaft, and than sand to the line on the disc sander before grinding the tip taper.  Works like a champ.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2012, 10:23:00 AM »
I just use my mitre saw with a metal "zip cut" blade in it.  I have to block up the bottom a bit to get the arrow close enough to the blade but it works well.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2012, 12:36:00 PM »
I use a dremel jigsaw. Mark the Arrows and cut carefully. They come out just fine.
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2012, 12:49:00 PM »
Never had a problem with my HF saw.  I only cut carbon and fiberglass shafts tho.  And I may only cut 18-36 shafts a year.  If I cut shafts for a business or made arrows up in bulk, Id buy a better foreign made, preferably European model.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©