3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Favorite On Stand Food  (Read 1136 times)

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Favorite On Stand Food
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2012, 10:53:00 PM »
P&J and apple cider/juice to washing down with
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline NEB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2012, 11:03:00 PM »
During hot weather I like pb&j, chocolate banana marshmello creme, and dried fruit & nuts. When its cold I like biscuits with grilled cubed venison kept warm in my shirt pockets w/ a handwarmer. Water and coffee and electrolyte packets.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2012, 11:16:00 PM »
I usually buy the chewy granola bars with chocolate chips. Helen buys some really good bars at the health food store, the name brand is "kind bars" they are really good... but not cheap. I always take a bottle of water with me too.

Offline manitou1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2012, 11:24:00 PM »
Hard salami sandwiches, fruit chews, mini Milky Way bars, jerky.  Peanut butter/cheese crackers.
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.
--Thomas Jefferson--

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2012, 11:24:00 PM »
Sandwich jerky trail mix

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2012, 12:18:00 AM »
I don't eat on stand in bow season, but for firearms opener somehow my camp has had about a 20 year tradition of a couple buckets of cold KFC and a bunch of Subway seafood and crab subs w/lots of jalapeno peppers. I have no idea how we settled on the seafood and crab, but I think it had to do with some successful sits and the myth that somehow the sub had something to do with it.

In bow season, hunting trails on the ground at very close range, there's no eating until the hunt is over. Between movement, time delay, scent and noise, with the way I hunt, it's no place for eating.

Offline JMSmithy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2012, 12:19:00 AM »
Ok, I apologize if anyone grossed out but here goes.... Snack on all kinds of things though I tend to stay away from anything too smelly OR in a noisy wrapper....

Hydration is key, which leads me to my question...on a LONG SIT, when "nature calls", how do you answer    :dunno:
" If you don't stand for something, you stand for nothing " - Me
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life Member UBNJ, NRA, SCI, TU, NAHC, SCI Chapter No American Handgun  Hunter Chapter, RGS

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2012, 12:33:00 AM »
Home catheter kits.  You aint a real hunter until you can cath yourself in the dark.

Offline mooseman1967

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2012, 12:45:00 AM »
Laugh if ya want, but one of my favs is peanut butter, dill pickle and butter sandwich. Grew up on those as a kid quail hunting with my dad. Every time I have one it makes me think of dad who can no longer hunt. When I get home I call him to tell him how the hunt was and thank him for all the memories in the field.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2012, 01:22:00 AM »
Micky D's double cheese.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2012, 01:53:00 AM »
Lots.I do not stay on a stand that long and like to hit about ten a day chassing coyotes .Big ice chest in the back of the truck.Depends what I grab in the mornning.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2012, 06:18:00 AM »
a nice freshly rolled PA(Prince Albert)does the trick with maybe a little snort of JFG coffee with lots of grounds in it.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2012, 06:36:00 AM »
I usually don't eat on stand. Maybe a snickers bar. Sometimes I take a thermos of coffee
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2012, 07:10:00 AM »
Prefer to hunt all day, unless it's over before that!
A meat sandwich, bag o'nuts, protein bar, 2 apples/pears - "graze" throughout the day as needed.
ALWAYS a water bottle and some sugar free gum to keep hydrated. A few pieces of "hunt candy" to munch on as well.
The bladder relief question is not fully figured out yet. If on the move, no problem, but if on stand, that's usually the time to get down and get on the move.
Never sat all day, but some sort of bottle would be required, I guess. Clearly marked as to contents!
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2012, 07:44:00 AM »
I usually eat whatever's handy.  Probably pb&j and clif bars mostly.  I have always just peed from stand.  Urine smells like urine regardless of who/what it came out of.  Never seemed to effect anything.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2012, 09:11:00 AM »
Originally posted by Tree Killer:
I like protein bars, mixed roasted and unsalted nuts from the bulk food isle, and dried mangoes from Costco.
I could tell you're from OR by just looking at your lunch menu.   :goldtooth:

Offline beauleyse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2012, 09:11:00 AM »
It use to be a pb&j on all day sits but a few years ago I was eating one and I had a doe being chased by a decent buck come in around one in the afternoon while I was stuffing my face...I didn't get a shot at the deer and to add insult to injury I dropped my sandwich twenty feet below me into a puddle of water, so I was angry and hungry for the rest of the day ha ha   :mad:   ... Now I usually eat a little beef jerky or power bar....anything that I can eat with one hand and be ready to go in a moments notice ha ha
There is more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow and arrow, than hunting with the sureness of the gun. -Fred Bear

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2012, 09:34:00 AM »
Little Debbie always hunts with Kook.   :goldtooth:

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2012, 09:35:00 AM »
"Laugh if ya want, but one of my favs is peanut butter, dill pickle and butter sandwich."

mooseman1967,

I just ate one of those for lunch yesterday! We call it a "Garrett Sandwich". My Dad grew up on them and so did I. My girls won't touch it so I guess the tradition dies with my generation.

By the way, adding butter is just gross. LOL

As for eating on stand, I never take anything into the woods to eat. Last time I tried my apple was frozen and dealing with a sandwich was just too much hassle and motion.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2012, 02:46:00 PM »
A couple of apples & a bottle of water & I'm good to go.
LAST year, I would've listed Snickers, M&Ms, PB&J sammich, jerky & trailmix at least for an all day stint.
Since then I've been a LOT more concsious of my diet, dropped 40 pounds & re-educated myself to the fact that I don't actually need to eat as much.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©