3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bow and pop up ground blind  (Read 1863 times)

Offline Jreyna920

• Trad Bowhunter
bow and pop up ground blind
« on: January 17, 2007, 12:58:00 AM »
noticed alot of you guys hunt out of ground blinds(doublebull).... how do manuever you bow

what size is your blind and bow?

thanks
Jreyna920
Chek-mate HunterII 43#@28"@62" & Bob Lee stick 50#@28"@64"

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bow and pop up ground blind
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 01:08:00 AM »
I have used 62" bows in the Double Bull's and they can be a bit of a nuisance. You just need to make sure of your shooting position ahead of time for limb clearence.
 I also have a sweet 50" kempf little grizzly that is a dream to shoot out of blinds. Short bows and blinds go together like apple pie ans ice cream.
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline Leland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 05:49:00 AM »
Ameristep penthouse & 66" Dwyer longbow.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 07:08:00 AM »
For the last several years I've used the Ameristep Brickhouse blind. The 62" recurves that I prefer are borderline for being too long... at least for me. Just not enough overhead for my "vertical" style and the windows aren't low enough for me to get real low in it.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline cajuntec

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 07:20:00 AM »
I bought an Ameristep Doghouse - much too small to shoot a recurve / longbow in - I had a hard time even drawing my compound in it, which is a 32" A2A bow, so recurves / longbows are out of the question for that one.  It makes a good turkey blind for shooting with a shotgun, but bows are out of the question on that model.
All the best,
Glenn
If at first you don't succeed.... buy newer / better equipment!

Greywolf Custom Longbow  
Chek-Mate Custom Hunter 56 Recurve

Offline robslifts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 07:42:00 AM »
I shoot a 60" 50 lb  longbow out of my ameristep doghouse blind much easier to have the side windows closed with the shoot through screens on it and the front window unzipped so you can keep your arrow tip out the window when you draw...
St. Joe River Bows

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 08:02:00 AM »
Ameristep Penthouse blind is plenty tall enough. I can stand and cant my longbow. Wish it was a hub design but oh well.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline gwhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 08:08:00 AM »
I have an Underbrush Bowhunter blind.  It is big enough to shoot my 55" Pyramid bow, but to small to shoot my 66" flatbow.  I would go with the biggest blind that you can afford.  You will not regret it.
Jesus died for us!  Following him brings us closer to God.  Think about it!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 08:08:00 AM »
If you buy the Double Bull spend the little extra to get the recurve model.  The extra inches in height make all the difference in the world.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 08:14:00 AM »
I've got a ground max blind, I think the extreme model.  I can shoot my 60" bob lee form it pretty comfortably.  Just have to make sure I am against the back of it for clearance of the top limb.  This is my first year with it and took a nice doe in late season.  Really looking forward to turkey hunting out of it this spring.
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 08:27:00 AM »
What Joe says, get the double bull and order the recurve model. Then practice shooting out of it alot prior to turkey season.
hunt it

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007, 08:39:00 AM »
I have two of the DB recurve models and shoot bows to 66" out of the easily.  I do like the 58" BushWacker bow for blind hunting though.  You don't have to think as much and with me that's a good thing.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Archer 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2007, 01:17:00 PM »
I have the Ameristep Bighouse, which is a hub style blind, and have plenty of room to shoot my 68" Howard Hill longbow from it. With any blind shorter, I have to watch the limb tips to much to make for comfortable shooting.
May Your Feet Always Make Happy Tracks.

Offline Red

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 01:51:00 PM »
Ameristep Penthouse works great, only caution is to be real familiar with the height because when it gets dark in the blind you can't see if the top limb is getting close when you go to draw. I hit the top on one of my misses this year.

Offline yleecoyote23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 02:19:00 PM »
Double Bull Matrix (recurve model)....

It's a little snug when I have my 66" limbs on my Mentor, but not bad with 64" limbs....

No problems at all with 60-62" bows....
In the beautiful Davis Mountains and lovin' every minute - Danny

Offline BrianfromTulsa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2007, 02:25:00 PM »
I've tried several blinds with my 62" recurve not yet including a double bull.  The best I've found so far is an Ameristep "Stackhouse".  The Stackhouse is kind of a pain to put up in a hurry tho because of the additional tent-style poles that you have to add.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2007, 08:33:00 AM »
Had a Stackhouse too. The are nice for room, but a pain in the butt to set up.
 I recently went to an Ameristep Grizzly G-30. Hub-style goes up in a couple minutes. Great for bows under 60 inches. I'm using a 58 inch recurve with room to spare. Hub style seems to hold up better in the rain and snow too. Can't wait to try it out on turkey!
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Naphtali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2007, 11:58:00 AM »
Those who use a significantly shorter bow for ground blinds, what happens to the usability of that bow? I anticipate you sacrifice some stored energy, but what about smoothness, forgiveness, stacking, hand shock -- general orneriness?
It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©