3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Nebraska pronghorns  (Read 990 times)

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
Nebraska pronghorns
« on: August 01, 2012, 02:46:00 PM »
Alright the 20th is coming up fast and I'll be on my first pronghorn hunt with a bow. Nebraska's website says this is supposed to be a 25 year high for herd count, and being a bad drought year I'm guessing that finding water is going to be the key to success. Is there another tactic I'll want to have in my head for a plan B?

Is there anyone around the Nebraska/Wyoming/South Dakota area able to give a first hand update on what they are seeing?
Thom

Offline PSUBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Nebraska pronghorns
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 03:13:00 PM »
What part of NE are you hunting? Public land or private?

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 03:21:00 PM »
Box Butte West on private land. I will be catching up with the rancher soon, but I was wondering what hunters were seeing across the area.
Thom

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 01:47:00 PM »
Not worthy of it's own thread, but I'd like to throw this out there for input:

One of the bows I'm thinking about taking is a osage selfbow, I got my arrows tuned and I did a round of testing on them today. Here are the results:
650 total grains
264 total grains up front (based on Grizzly 160gr)
19.9% FOC
11.0 gpp
136-139 fps

It all sounds great to me, except that arrow is going so slow. It hits where I aim, but I wonder if an antelope would still be around by the time it got there? Even though it's dead silent, I'm worried about the critter having time to see it coming and react.

Anyone shoot low speed arrows at pronghorns? If this is a recipe for disaster I could take this one off my packing list. Thanks.
Thom

Offline Kamm1004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 02:17:00 PM »
Water sounds like a good plan A. Plan B could be a wheat field, alfalfa field or something like that depending on how much agriculture is in your specific area because where I live at least the antelope seem to love those fields. You also said it was a ranch, if he has cattle and the antelope are accustomed to them a moo cow might be worth a try.
Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and your bow and go out into the open country to hunt some wild game for me.- Genesis 27:3

Offline Anointed Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 03:17:00 PM »
Hey Thom you engineers get way to techinical with your equipment and all those fancy statistics. Here is the bottom line, can you hit a coffee can lid at 40 yards   :D
For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation.

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 03:34:00 PM »
I know, I know, but it's what I do    :banghead:  

I'm just worried about an arrow that slow heading for a critter that can move that fast. Wondering if anyone else has done it. Probably a few hundred years of Sioux steak dinners by arrows going about this fast, probably should have put it in perspective first.

Bryce, I appreciate your thoughts. There are some alfalfa fields and cows are free ranging on parts of it too. I've heard pronghorns can travel corridors along the edges of these fields and they frequently use the same crossing points over and over. Good plan B stuff like I was asking for. Thank you!
Thom

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 03:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by sticksnstones:
I know, I know, but it's what I do     :banghead:  

I'm just worried about an arrow that slow heading for a critter that can move that fast. Wondering if anyone else has done it. Probably a few hundred years of Sioux steak dinners by arrows going about this fast, probably should have put it in perspective first.

Bryce, I appreciate your thoughts. There are some alfalfa fields and cows are free ranging on parts of it too. I've heard pronghorns can travel corridors along the edges of these fields and they frequently use the same crossing points over and over. Good plan B stuff like I was asking for. Thank you!
Thom
Thom, if you are THAT woried about it, I have a bow I would be happy to loan you for your hunt. Sends an 850 grain arrow at around 180fps.   :goldtooth:  

Seriously, I wish you all the best on your trip and hope you have fantastic time with lots of goats to choose from. Be sure to take lots of pics for those of us that can't tag along!!!

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 04:06:00 PM »
Your HH Crocodile at 73# is about as much as I feel comfortable bringing to anchor without eating a extra bowl of Wheaties first!

I'll have my Contour and will plan on mostly shooting video, but I'm sure I'll snap a few pictures along the way too.
Thom

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 04:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by sticksnstones:
Your HH Crocodile at 73# is about as much as I feel comfortable bringing to anchor without eating a extra bowl of Wheaties first!

I'll have my Contour and will plan on mostly shooting video, but I'm sure I'll snap a few pictures along the way too.
Thom
Awesome Thom, can't wait to see  the pics and video. I'll give you a shout perhaps over the weekend.

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 04:38:00 PM »
Thom, might give a shout out to Mike Yancey from Pine Hollow Longbows.  He's taken antelope with self bows. Enjoy your hunt and take lots of pictures.  We're rootin' for ya buddy!  :thumbsup:
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 07:26:00 PM »
im anxious to see pics from this trip! i 2nd the alfalfa if he has it, antelope love that stuff, and i love to eat antelope that have been eating that stuff!
is it September yet??

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 09:24:00 PM »
Steve, I'm off to a weekend of camping and shooting but will be unpacking Sunday afternoon/evening if that works for you.

Rick, I appreciate the tip and will check in with him. I was thinking about you the other day, I'm guessing you gotta be down to counting hours at this point! What's the last day again?     2013 Hog Heaven dates  are posted, hint hint.  

huntinmuleys, I'll be in your back yard! I'm guessing you'll know what the country will look like, but I'm really looking forward to posting them anyway!

I made a few tweaks with my gear, and those arrows are flying much flatter now. Will shoot my candidate bow/arrows this weekend at Elm Hall and see how it does. My hunting partner dropped in tonight and we worked on his arrow setup a little bit too.

Next step is to start sharpening these Grizzlys, wish me luck!    :help:
Thom

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 10:04:00 PM »
I'm bettin that bow is quiet as can be. The extra noise of being faster may be a wash!

Bro and I are thinkin on goin to NE , will see how he feels by then, he's having a little heart surgery to keep it in time proper.

If we go, will be up in NW corner of state to start out.

Good luck and hope to see a pic with you and  a lope from ya!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 10:22:00 PM »
That rattler backed, moose horn tipped, snaky bow sure is a looker Thom.  As quiet as you have it pushin' arras now I don't think you have anything to worry about.  Just don't drop the string when the goat's lookin' your way and you'll be fine.  I hope my widow puts the sting on one of them lopes.  One of God's most beautiful critters.  Huntin' trips like these remind me of bein' 8 years old and waitin' for Christmas morn!  Great stuff and a great life; kill or no!!

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 10:55:00 PM »
Hi Kenny, I wish him the best of luck with the ticker, got lots of friends and relations that have been through that and came out great. I wish the same for him! If you guys stumble into camp we'll put on a pot of coffee for ya.    :bigsmyl:   Maybe I'll post another video here once I get the string and arrow finalized for this bow.

Speaking of strings, I hope you are running my string on that widow when you get your shot Gary!  I'm thinking it's good and quiet as is with D97 and cat whiskers, but I'll make you a B50 for it if you want to try one out.

They are amazingly beautiful creatures indeed, the bucks and the does. To be completely honest, I'd be perfectly happy to be bow close to them even if I can't take a shot. We are preparing to embark on a great adventure!
Thom

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2012, 11:06:00 PM »
I wish I could be of more help to ya but I live in the complete opposite corner of the state, what I can tell ya is not to over look the center of the state from valentine southeast to Halsey and west of there along the HWY 2 corridor more and more goats showin up in those areas and there's a fair amount of public land that hold decent numbers. goodluck and keep us posted!

Steve

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2012, 03:20:00 PM »
Thanks for the info Steve, every bit of it is being tucked away!

I talked to the rancher today, he was out scouting around over the weekend and had some info.

Sounds like the overall numbers are very good, but the herds are broken into lots of little groups out ranging everywhere for forage. Makes sense with the drought.

Also even more of the water holes have dried up so these buggers are having a tough time. He's marked out some key crossing points as backup locations to the few water holes left out there. If a ton of rain comes in the next two weeks, we'll have some corridors to hunt.

How are you shooting Gary? Ready to do this?     :archer2:  
Thom

Offline camodadd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 03:32:00 PM »
them goats are over numerous 'round here (30 miles w. of valentine) ranchers want em thinned out, game comission is so stingy with the permits they think they are endangered or something, truble right now is its so dry a guy doesnt dare drive to much in the pastures. Me and my son are gonna try to score a couple goats hopefully this year. Findin the time and ambition in this heat is also an issue. Scott

Online Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2012, 07:04:00 PM »
Shootin' pretty good Thom.  Need to fletch up some more shafts, sharpen some broadheads and get my camping stuff down from the rafters in the garage.  Been many years since that stuff has been used.  Conditions out there sound promising and I'm ready to go!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©