3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Climber or hangon  (Read 882 times)

Offline TimDougan

• Trad Bowhunter
Climber or hangon
« on: August 01, 2012, 09:14:00 PM »
I need to come up with a mobile stand system.I have been using hangons but i can't leave them up any more. Can't keep losing good stand locations. Seems like if i hang a stand in the same location for a few seasons some one cuts me off and hangs one 50 to 75 yards in front of me. Its public land so i have to learn to deal with it. I always check for stands in the area so i don't intrude on some one.I think leaving the stands up is the problem.So i need a mobile treestand what are you guys using hang on and steps or climber and why? Thanks. TD.

Offline TimDougan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Climber or hangon
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 09:20:00 PM »
I forgot to mention that i will be taking the stand in and out with me so as not to give away my spot. Need some thing light and quiet. Any suggestions? Thanks. TD.

Offline Longbowlogan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 09:22:00 PM »
I use a muddy stand and sticks, this setup is awesome! The sticks stack on the stand and the whole thing only weighs around 22-23lbs. Its easy, quiet, and can use it on and tree you can wrap the ropes around. When I use this setup I walk in, set it up, hunt then pull down. Its faster, easier, and quieter than a climber imo. Check them out, well worth the money.
Big Stick Assassin LB 60" 51@29
Big Stick Assassin LB 62" 60@28
Schafer Silvertip RC 60" 54@28, 57@27, 76@29

PBS Associate member

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 09:46:00 PM »
I got rid of all my sticks and hang ons. I now split my time between ground and climber. Much more mobile and convenient for the way I hunt. Plus your harness is connected all the way up. Mine is less 20lbs and comfortable enough for all day hunts.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 09:54:00 PM »
Hang on and sticks for me..
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline UrbanDeerSlayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 10:46:00 PM »
Brand new TimberTall Baby Lite Climber!  Super lite, and easy to set up and climb with.
Shoot Straight, Feel Great!

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 01:24:00 AM »
Depends on what type of woods your hunting, I like cedar trees or any tree with some low limbs for cover to break up and hide my movement.  Let's me stay a little closer to the ground for shot angle too.  So the climbers out when you gotta pass major limbs on the way up. I like the Chippewa sticks & Chip Quest stand.

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 03:25:00 AM »
Summit open shot for me
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 05:23:00 AM »
Get back in the woods more.......
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 07:28:00 AM »
the rail on some  climbers (sit down climbers)can get in the way of your lower limb if you're not carefull. For trad I like a hang-on,  but it's hard to beat fast and easy climbers
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 08:06:00 AM »
Personally, I believe that a decent hang on will do everything a climber will do (OK. . except climb) plus.  You can't "climb half or more of the trees I hunt.  Learn how to put it up well and go slowly (quietly).  

Also.  Look outside of the box.  Invest in a decent ghillie suit.  I have and use the Rancho Safari ultralite model and have had many good experiences.  With that, you don't even NEED a tree.
ChuckC

Offline TimDougan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 08:51:00 PM »
Thanks for the input guys i looked at the Timbertall at the ETAR. Not sure about the rail getting in the way Urbandeerslayer let me know how you like it. Vter the woods are not real big 500 to 2500 acres so out walking some one is tough. Good advise though and has worked for me in other locations.I am leaning towards a hang on and muddy steps. Thanks. TD.

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 09:09:00 PM »
I am fortunate enought to hunt private land so I can leave all my locking up all year. I do not have a problem with them getting stolen. But if I was in your case I would use a good climber. Bc u are wanting to carry it in and out of the woods.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 09:22:00 PM »
Most all of the climbing sticks, (Lone wolf, Rapid Rails, Muddy, etc) are all in the same weight range, so find the one you prefer and go with it. I use rapid rails and a Loc On Limit stand, The combination wieghts about 20# but I can get up any tree and be comfortable.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 10:01:00 PM »
if you have all our spots picked already and they are climber friendly then get a summit viper, they are extremely comfortable.

if you dont do not get a climber because they are the biggest pain in the butt IMO.  Ill find the spot I want to be in and know is good but there will be no perfect climber trees and by the time I find one its getting bright and im not where I want to be.     In this case by some lone wolf sticks and a hang on or your choice.

I eventually want to get 2 sets of lone wolf sticks and a gorilla scout  and ditch the climber.  just makes since
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline UrbanDeerSlayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 10:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by TimDougan:
Thanks for the input guys i looked at the Timbertall at the ETAR. Not sure about the rail getting in the way Urbandeerslayer let me know how you like it. Vter the woods are not real big 500 to 2500 acres so out walking some one is tough. Good advise though and has worked for me in other locations.I am leaning towards a hang on and muddy steps. Thanks. TD.
I may give the TimberTall a test run this weekend to see how I shoot with climbing rail obstruction.  I'll post it up once I give it a go.
Shoot Straight, Feel Great!

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2012, 08:01:00 AM »
The versatility of light sticks or rapid rails plus a light hang on stand has tons of advantages over a climber.

The Ameristep rapid rails and hang on stand are good. So is the lone wolf sticks and hang on stand. They both let you hunt out of trees with far more cover to conceal yourself.

That said, I use a Summit Open shot climber. I don't use the sticks and hang on stand for one reason only. I get nervous I might slip on the sticks or rails if it is wet or snowy. Even with a lineman's belt, those steps hurt if you fall even a few inches into one. The rapid rails would eliminate that problem though.

So..... as always, go with your preference. If it was a climber you are interested in, then Lone Wolf is excellent and the Summit Openshot is pretty good too. Summit having a far lower price. If you want a good sticks and hang on combo, my preference would be the Ameristep rapid rails and hang on.

Good luck!

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2012, 09:03:00 AM »
I'll always take a climber if I can, I feel safer in one.  I hate hanging sticks and a strap on.  The strap on will go into any tree though, so for versatility it's tough to beat.

I have both Lone Wolf hand climber and and Alpha hang on with LW sticks.  Both are great, but like I said, the climber for me if at all possible.

A neat thing about the hand climber is that you can leave the platform home and take just the seat portion if you are hunting from the ground.  Strap it too a tree and it makes a great little seat.  I use it that way a lot for run and gun scouting trips.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2012, 09:36:00 AM »
Hang on and sticks.  Nothing worse than finding "the tree" and not being able to climb the darn thing because it isn't climber friendly.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Mike Burch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2012, 10:12:00 AM »
Tim,

I've had multible brands and types. I take mine in and out everytime and the best setup I've found is a Lone Wolf Assault hang on and Muddy Sticks.

It's quicker, easier, and quieter than everything else I've tried.

Mike

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©