3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Climber or hangon  (Read 884 times)

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Climber or hangon
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2012, 10:23:00 AM »
Get a good loc on and a woodpecker drill and a bunch of bolts. Take your stand and the bottom few bolts in and out with you or get a good climber. I have a lone wolf and 4 loc ons. I hunt any tree that will hold me and seldom hunt the same tree more than three times in a year.RC

Offline Adam S. Daugherty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2012, 10:46:00 AM »
Woodpecker and a fanny pack of bolts for getting up the tree.  Too much noise and too much scent associated with the sticks for slippin in and setting up.  Rubber gloves when sticking bolts in holes will help with some of the set up sent in the mornings.

For stand choice I would highly recommend Chippewa wedge loc.  It will come with 2 brackets when purchased but making additional brackets is simple.  5-6 foot chain, 1 s hook, and two tennis balls.  You can leave your brackets in the trees, take out first 4 bolts.  You can have multiple set ups ready and this system is far better than any stick and loc on set up.  Wedge locs are the easiest stand bar non to hang and hunt and take back out.  There are many great loc ons out there on the market, and I have used many of them.  The lone wolf stands are good, just as good as the chipewas, but their hanging system does not compare when slipping into a place climbing a tree with stand on your back, taking it off shoulder and placing in bracket and being sitting down in less than a minute and very very quietly.

As far as climbers.  You will want something that is open front.  IMHO climbers highly limit opportunities when shooting stickbows, because of their lengths and lack of cover.  Also, i just never liked or was tought to hang stands from light poles.  I like trees with cover for all the apparent and many other reasons.  Cover is critical when shooting critters with a stickbow.  We do not have the luxary to draw back and hold 10 lbs and wait 3 minutes for a deer to close the distance.  It is nice when that big ol slickhead is about 7 yards and i am nestled in a knarly cedar, and she never knows what hit her or where it came from.

I have a lone wolf hand climber.  Best climber on the market for ease of use, quietness, and stability.  Like a loc on with no cover when you get to desired elevation.  Down fall is it is not a very comfortable stand for long sits.  The open front summits are not as quiet and stable as the lone wolfs but they are far more comfortable.

If you get the chance to preset up your stands the woodpecker bit will fit in a cordless drill and you can knock out some stand sites effortlessly.  One thing I do if hunting an area where I am not worried about others is I will stick bright eyes directly below my woodpecker holes where they are easy to see in the dark.  Dont put them above the holes or you will tear them off with your boots.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2012, 11:22:00 AM »
Been using a LW and sticks for 16 years.  Even on private ground I never leave a stand up and every sit is a fresh set. You never educate deer. Takes me less than ten minutes to set up; one time up and pull up the bow. The LW and some modifications makes everything very quiet- have set up within 50 yds of deer without them knowing. A climber would limit me. Once you learn the style you may never go back! In recurring areas you develop trees year after year- there are times I go back to a tree I hunted a few years before.  Most guys who hunt with me have to learn this as it is how I hunt. I also wear a turkey vest with all my gear in the same pockets; a quick prune or saw is easy to grab and place back.  

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Adam S. Daugherty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2012, 12:05:00 PM »
KSdan.

What modifications did you make to your LW.  I have the same stand and use it regularly, just prefer the Chippewa when setting up and hunting if stand not already hung.  Then I have trees all over with brackets done hanging.  I only hunt private ground so I done got stand sites selected with woodpecker holes drilled and brackets mounted all over the place.  I end up with about $4 per bracket for my chippewa stand.

I have a set of the LW sticks and they are by far the most versitile and best sticks out there, but I still find trees every once in a while that have the small limbs down lower here or there that make them cumbersome to hang.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2012, 01:16:00 PM »
I use climbers most of the time and of the ones I have now I like the Lone Wolf Hand Climber best, then the Summit Open Shot. I also use a Loc-On Limit with the fold up type screw in steps (they go in fairly easy) for some spots.

I carry a Gerber folding saw and if I have to I'll saw a few limbs to use a climber. I use to think it would run all the deer off with the sound, but found out I still see deer anyway.

Offline twigflicker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2012, 03:08:00 PM »
KSDan,

I'd love to hear how you do it all in one trip... I used a LW hang on and sticks for a couple years and still have it but now use a LW Sit and Climb more...

Please share you system and how it works... I'd love to go back, because there are trees you can't hunt with a climber as many have mentioned...

Jonathan
TGMM - Family of the Bow
PBS Associate

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2012, 06:06:00 PM »
I have listed/explained my process before and stand modifications before. It has been some time though.  Would you guys want me to post here or start a new thread?
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline TimDougan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2012, 06:30:00 PM »
KSdan feel free to share. Thanks for the input guys. Screw in steps are not allowed on are public land here in Pa. I had a Lonewolf used it one time just wasn't for me not stable enough. Had flash backs of my Baker climber i just don't have the confidence in climbers. Thought some improvements may have been made since i last had one. Leaning towards Muddy sticks and a Chippewa Quest.This will be my carry in and out system i will still have some stands set where i don't have problems.Thanks again guys. TD.

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2012, 06:52:00 PM »
I sold two Summit RazorSS stands cause I couldnt climb anymore. The Razors climbing/shooting rail will fold down out of the way. The stand was very comfortable and quiet. I could stay in it from daylight till dark but I was wore out. If you are in good shape and have good dexterity I would get a lockon for the reasons stated above. Heck maybe have both a climber and a lockon and you would be covered. Take the climber when you want to walk in and hunt the same day and have the locons for those great trees with limb cover.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2012, 08:13:00 PM »
Climber for me. I'm a public land hunter and I move to much to bother with   ladders,steps etc. I used to hang stands for myself and my dad and I will climb any day.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2012, 08:36:00 PM »
There is a video on yout$%be. It shows how to climb up a tree in only one trip using Lone Wolf sticks and hang-on stand. Just google it and you should find it easy enough.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2012, 11:51:00 PM »
I would also concur that the Chippewa Quest or Chief would be just as good or maybe even better than the LW.  I am not sure why a guy would need more than one harness however. Setting a harness only takes 45 seconds.

Dan

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2012, 12:57:00 AM »
Here you all go:

Stand Prep (a few things I do to make it more affective and quiet)

Stand (this is the early model LW- some of this is probably not needed)
-   I attach a longer upright support for my long legs.
-   I extend the seat by attaching an extra seat that is more comfortable and moves you out further from the tree.
-   I replace the cables with adjustable poly ropes for leveling adjustment.
-   I use ethafoam blocks w grooves cut out to attach the sticks to the stand.  I also use a 4-stick block sometimes.  The sticks never touch one another and they lay flat on my back.
-   Though the pic does not show it, I have attached a backpack hip belt to the stand as well. There is no wt. on my shoulders.  I can shoot and easily scout and set-up anytime I find what I am looking for.  

Sticks
-   I file all the teeth with a round edge so they do not scrape the tree
-   I zip-tie the buckle end to the versa button so they cannot come off
-   I cut out a pattern for self-stick felt that I place over all the buckles. I also place this felt on the stick itself anywhere the buckle can possibly touch

My system when I arrive at the tree:

- I always wear a supreme turkey vest which has easy access to pruners, saw, a few screw in steps if needed, bow hangers etc. Everything has its same place year after year. (I really think this is a critical piece of my system)

-I remove the stand and take all the sticks off the foam blocks. The blocks go on the ground while I usually throw some leaves over top (I do wash them a few times each season).

-I undo the belts on sticks as they make no noise with buckles and sticks felted.

-Stand goes back on my back

-I pull bow tow rope from my vest and attach to bow and clip it on my vest ring.  I often attach my jacket/vest to the bow at this point.

Think now.  Turkey vest is always on and ready to go.  My safety harness is already on with the tether ready.  My bow is on the tow.  The stand is on my back with just the shoulder straps.  The three sticks (sometimes four) are leaning against the tree in front me with straps loosened up and free.  The steps are swiveled ahead of time so they alternate properly before I even start up.

-Take stick #3 with belt hanging and set it up on a limb (hanging by v-bracket works fine) as high as I can reach (if no limb is available I screw in a small bow hanger as high as I can reach; hang the stick there)

-Now attach stick #1 while standing on the ground (sometimes I will have two screw-in steps first if extra height is needed)

-While holding stick #2 I step up on stick #1 while leaning into the tree (or using a lineman attachment which I usually DO NOT- messing around with it seems more unsafe to me)

-I attach stick #2 by placing it on the tree and leaning my chest into.  I am hugging the tree with my left arm.  My right hand takes strap around backside of tree, where my left hand grabs it.  My right arm is now the hugging arm.  My left arm brings the strap around and attaches it to the versa strap. Cinch it down snug- it does not have to be super tight, as the pulling down action of the stick is what “wedges” it into the tree.  I always keep three points of contact with the tree.  

- I step up on stick #2 which secures it down tight.

-I then grab stick #3 off the limb (or hanger) and again lean into the tree and attach this stick just like I did #2

-I am now standing with both feet up on stick #2 while stick #3 is attached.  While one of my arms is still hugging the tree (or again using a lineman harness if you like)

-I now attach my safety harness rope above stick #3 (which is a loop rope like LW sells- mine is homemade w the prussic).  My feet are about ten feet up and I am harnessed in.  

- I now climb up to top of stick #3.

-I re-adjust safety rope higher on the tree.

-While hugging the tree with one arm I pull the stand from back swinging it between my chest and the tree.   I attach the strap just like I did with stick #2 and 3.

- I let the stand fold out quietly. Swiveling the stand around the tree where necessary. I step up on the stand nearest to the tree trunk making sure all is solid and snug.  All this time I have been harnessed in.

-I re-adjust safety rope.  Screw in 2 bow holders; one for my vest and one for my bow.  I remove my turkey vest and hang it.  I pull up the bow (which often has my jacket/vest attached to it).  

- Under ten minutes I am hunting- no noise and fresh stand. You do this 20-40X a season and you get really good.  

I do this every time in and out. Often AM and PM are different sets. I can even switch during the day if the wind, rut, or some other thing dictates.

Hope that helps. . .

Good hunting

Dan

Offline pbr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2014, 02:37:00 PM »
I use a tree umbrella as a portable blind, it is stowed on my Lone Wolf climber, along with a branch saw, to clear branches if needed on the way up, or to create a shooting lane. I have also put silent hide on all the square support arms. Upgraded to a new seat cushion, and installed the old one on the underside between upgraded carrying straps, it cushions the back when carrying and is much more comfortable. Also added a kwikee kwiver adapter to the side with one screw so I can carry in with quiver on the stand (don't like quiver on bow) and when in position swivel it vertical to have arrows right by side for easy access.

[/url] [/IMG]

Offline pbr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2014, 02:40:00 PM »
Forgot to mention if it starts to rain I just move the umbrella to the tree, so it has a dual purpose.

Offline pbr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2014, 02:42:00 PM »
Another view

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2014, 02:46:00 PM »
I've been looking hard @ the Hawk hang on stand and steps. They have an ultra lite model that looks really good.
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline pbr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2014, 02:52:00 PM »
Front view

Offline pbr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2014, 02:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Iowabowhunter:
I've been looking hard @ the Hawk hang on stand and steps. They have an ultra lite model that looks really good.
No offense but in my opinion the Lone Wolf product is way better than the Hawk. Hawk is less money but in this case you get what you pay for.

Offline pbr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2014, 03:52:00 PM »
In closing I find the climber faster quieter, and easier to carry, I like to move where the deer are and with the umbrella blind feel it makes up for the lack of natural cover. Needless to say I have not seen ANY climber that comes close to the Lone Wolf.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©