3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Which arrow combination would you rather have?  (Read 544 times)

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
Which arrow combination would you rather have?
« on: August 01, 2012, 10:17:00 PM »
Which would you rather have from a 50lb R/D longbow?

2016 shafts with 125gr points
or
2315 shafts with 250gr points

Only major downside to 2315's is that there aren't any 250gr Judo's out there but you can make 260gr Judos by gluing the glue on points into a 125gr screw in adapter.

Also, for what it's worth, my bow is shooting 2016's with 125gr points at 172 fps.  Based on that, I'd expect it to sling the heavier arrows at about 145 fps since that's also -18 from Stu's calculated ideal.

1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
Re: Which arrow combination would you rather have?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 10:31:00 PM »
Also, I should add that I do 95% target practice and roving, 3% small game hunting, and 2% deer/hog hunting.

Offline UrbanDeerSlayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 10:45:00 PM »
I also shoot a 50# R/D bow, and prefer the carbon GT 3555's Trads.  But I prefer a faster arrow, so I'd go with the 2016's.  FUnny how the arrows never shoot quite as fast as STU calculates.
Shoot Straight, Feel Great!

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 10:52:00 PM »
Id prolly shoot a 2018 with a little more weight (than 125) up front.

Eric

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 11:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by UrbanDeerSlayer:
I also shoot a 50# R/D bow, and prefer the carbon GT 3555's Trads.  But I prefer a faster arrow, so I'd go with the 2016's.  FUnny how the arrows never shoot quite as fast as STU calculates.
He says in his manual that those are the top end estimates of speed.  I don't really care much how fast it shoots so long as it's shooting straight and I can practice working with my trajectory.  

I do shoot through my chronograph occasionally though to see how consistent my release is.  When I do this I'll shoot the same arrow over and over for 50 times then see what my extreme spread and standard deviation is.  Those numbers really are more telling to me than velocity.  Usually I get an ES=8 to 11, and SD=2 or 3 fps.  My goal is to consistently maintain an ES of 10fps or lower and SD of 2 fps or lower.

Offline atatarpm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 11:26:00 PM »
When you look at the energy on Stu's Cal. There's only .6 lbs differance good sharp BH. And you should be good to go.
Atatarpm   "Traditional Archery is a mastery of one's self ; not of things."
71# Qarbon Nano
67# T2 Blacktail
85lbs Bama
100lbs Bama
60lbs Big D's Long Bow

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 12:29:00 AM »
I would go with a 28.5" 1918 or 28.5" 2016 with that draw and point weight, if your draw is 28" you may be able to go up in point weight with broadheads.  We tested four of our bows last year and found two of them right on the money, one a little bit slower and one quite a bit faster than what the Stu chart says.

Offline Mongo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 01:38:00 AM »
2016's
If God didn't want man to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 08:50:00 AM »
Originally posted by WESTBROOK:

Eric
Out of the two you mentioned though, I would probably go with the 2016's. Those 2315's are pretty heavy and slow and I would have to reteach myself how to aim with an arrow going that slow. The skinnier shafts would be better for penetration too, I think.

I am really liking the 2018 idea! You can add 1/4" to the shaft, get over 10gpp, and go up to a 150gr point (which ups your FOC a bit). AND, it comes out almost perfect on the calculator.

Bisch

BTW, how did you copy and paste that image from the calculator. I tried and tried and could not figure out how to do that. I'm not very computer savvy.

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 09:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bisch:
BTW, how did you copy and paste that image from the calculator. I tried and tried and could not figure out how to do that. I'm not very computer savvy.
Looks like capture software was used like Snag-It in that case. If you don't have any special programs you can do this:
1) click on the window you want to capture
2) hold Shift, press PrtSc button
3) open Paint
4) click the Paste button (or hold CTRL and press v)
5) now use the box tool to select the area you want to share with TG and click Crop.
6) Click Resize and choose Resize by Pixels, if it's under 640 wide it's ready for TG, if not make it 640 and click OK
7) save it and put it on some webserver, post link to TG

Sorry for the baby steps but who knows where someone might get hung up, and a year of working helpdesk forced me to talk this way    :knothead:
Thom

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 10:38:00 AM »
[qb] BTW, how did you copy and paste that image from the calculator. I tried and tried and could not figure out how to do that. I'm not very computer savvy. [/b]
I use an Apple and hit "command"+"shift"+"4" and it gives me a crosshair that I can use to crop a portion of my screen out with.

For PC users you can do a screenshot (I don't remember how to but a quick google search would tell you what to hit) then crop the photo in Paint. Their may be a way you can do a partial screenshot on a PC as well, I just wouldn't know how.

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 10:49:00 AM »
Originally posted by UrbanDeerSlayer:
I prefer a faster arrow, so I'd go with the 2016's.
I built my 2016 arrows up to work with 125gr points because that's what I had for my compound bow.  Now I've been reading about the advantages of heavier arrows for hunting and higher FOC's for hunting.  Most of my 2016 arrows are getting broken from stump shooting in rocky areas so I'm needing new arrows anyway.  It has me thinking I may want to try a heavier build and use up the last of my 2016's for Judo point stump shooting arrows.  

There isn't a very large difference in speed to me with the heavier arrows.  The heavy ones are going 111 miles per hour whereas my 2016's are going 129 miles per hour.  Both speeds are more than fast enough.  Plus, when you only shoot one bow, it makes learning the trajectory of either really quick and easy.

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 10:53:00 AM »

Eric
Out of the two you mentioned though, I would probably go with the 2016's. Those 2315's are pretty heavy and slow and I would have to reteach myself how to aim with an arrow going that slow. The skinnier shafts would be better for penetration too, I think.

I am really liking the 2018 idea! You can add 1/4" to the shaft, get over 10gpp, and go up to a 150gr point (which ups your FOC a bit). AND, it comes out almost perfect on the calculator.[/b]
More food for thought.  Thanks.  When I started playing with the calculator I jumped into straight into 250 and 300 grain points just to see what I could build with a heavier arrow and higher FOC that would be good for me.  I don't know if I'm going to switch over completely to higher weights yet, but I'll get 3 arrows of higher weights to test out at the local shop and see if I like them better before ordering another batch of arrows.

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 10:55:00 AM »
2016's, or 2018's as per Bisch.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 11:38:00 AM »
Which one would I rather have?  BOTH. The one that fit the game and area I'm hunting them in.

Antelope out west and deer and black bear .....the 470 grainer every time.  

Hogs, the 636 grainer....also bigger game like elk n moose.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 11:41:00 AM »
2016'S more center shot, tuffer. HH 50@28 2016'S with 200gr up front 3 5 1/2 feathers.

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2012, 02:24:00 PM »
2018's with a litle more point weight.

Offline Glunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2012, 02:39:00 PM »
2016's out of those two.  I like shooting 165-175 fps, so I usually shoot whatever weight gets me there.  The exception is that whatever arrow flies the best gets the nod.  Great arrow flight is a huge penetration factor and trumps weight & speed given "normal" set-ups.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2012, 06:16:00 PM »
.....if you are wanting to go the heavyshaft/heavypoint route why not use 2219s as they spine about the same as the 2315s but are alot more durable................I myself use 2016s with that weight of bow..........
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2012, 08:00:00 PM »
2016s because you can get them cheap in blue jazz or gamegetter 500 flavor!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©