3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: the Ubiquitous Bow Question (but not which one)  (Read 559 times)

Offline Kmurray

• Trad Bowhunter
the Ubiquitous Bow Question (but not which one)
« on: August 01, 2012, 11:19:00 PM »
Hello to whom ever happens to check out my humble post. I have been a reader/studier of the posts here for quite some time now, and have not had the need (as of yet) to have a voice... Aside from one introduction post over a year ago ha ha

Anyway,(synopsis) I'm brand spanking new to Trad, and for the most part new to archery in general. I had a compound once, many years ago.. never got used to the whole "mechanical release" thingy (stupid concept IMO) and gave up on archery... it was a lackluster introduction to say the least...

I'm about ready to make my first trad-bow purchase and have been doing a lot of reading on the ever present "what bow should I get" thread... and I'm doing my very best to not make such a post my self.. In fact, I think (emphasis on THINK) I may have worked out what bow I should get... but there are questions... (..of course    :rolleyes:  )

I am considering, strongly, about my first bow being a HH Bobcat.. here's why...
First is price, starting at $390 is a great introductory price for a first bow.
Second,my stature: I'm 5'5" and I have a draw length of   25.75" (26" for all intents I guess)... So the 60" bow might be the perfect combination of short enough to get the most out of the "working limb" and long enough to be stable.

My only concerns are:
weather or not a HH type bow is actually a good bow to start on. I hear so much about having to have proper form to get the most out of a HH bow, and well, that seems like the perfect "trainer" for a beginner to form good habits on. But on the other hand so many posts sound more like they are deterring or warning people that the HH bows are "not for everyone"...  

And weather the Bobcat is actually a good starter bow for an adult male... although, I am more the size of a 15yo ha ha... I should be able to get about 42/43# with my draw length out of the Bobcat, which is about 15Lbs lighter than I was pulling on the compound and it's still heavy enough to actually hunt small game and deer with .. so it seems/sounds like the perfect package... almost too good to be true.... What say you who have ready this far through ha ha... and are still awake...

I have searched for pictures of the Bobcat and all I can find are others requesting pictures as well... so I will ask if anyone has a Bobcat, could you post a picture, maybe in draw or next to some other bows for comparison. It would be much appreciated.

Any input, suggestions and even comments from the peanut gallery would be greatly appreciated.

Offline atatarpm

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: the Ubiquitous Bow Question (but not which one)
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 12:47:00 AM »
I started with a 200$ 55# Requin recurve not the best idea I have ever had. If you have been looking at tis idea for a year now I wuld say that you are determened to stay with trad archery. For the same money you can buy good used bows in the weight range that you are looking at from fellow TG'ers. Or you can order from 3Rivers a new one for about the same money. Or you can add another 300$ and get one of their long bows.
I shot that Requin for 4 mo. Before getting a better bow 800$ range. All that being said I have not seen a HH Bobcat but considering that it is a HH bow it should be a good bow also.
Atatarpm   "Traditional Archery is a mastery of one's self ; not of things."
71# Qarbon Nano
67# T2 Blacktail
85lbs Bama
100lbs Bama
60lbs Big D's Long Bow

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 01:00:00 AM »
For many archers, shooting a recurve accurately is easier than learning to shoot a longbow accurately.  In my opinion, and what I have read, a recurve does a better job of forcing or guiding your bow hand into a repeatable grip.  This simplifies one of the main components of good shooting form.

If I were to recommend a bow for a beginner, I would recommend a new Sage recurve one of several vendors, many of whom are sponsors here on Tradgang. For the money, you will have a relatively inexpensive bow that you can try and decide if you really have the time and interest in learning to shoot traditional archery.  If you do go with something cheaper, you can always uprade if you like it.  If you don't, you are not out as much.

If money is not an issue, the Howard Hill bow would be a nice purchase as far as quality.  I recommend you speak with Craig Ekin, owner of Howard Hill bows and ask him about what grip style he might recommend for a new archer.

Most traditional bows made today are not traditional D-shaped or Hill style bows, but rather recurves or reflex-deflex longbows.  I assume this is because most archers find them easier to shoot, though performance may be a consideration for some archers.  There seems to be a resurgence in interest in Hill-style bows and I am looking into one myself, though not until next year or the year after.

Good luck with your decision and don't be afraid to keep asking questions!
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Offline limbshaker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 01:16:00 AM »
If you get a bow that makes you say to yourself, "man, I like this bow" I think you will be more apt to shoot it more. And practice is the best thing you can do to get better (duh)    :smileystooges:    If you have the intent to shoot longbows, I think you should start with a longbow. And getting a good bow such as the one you stated, may not be a bad idea seeing as how it should hold it's resale value fairly well. Get the bow YOU like and want to shoot, and if it don't work out, sell it and get another. That's part of the fun.    ;)    My only definite recommendation is don't get one over 45 pounds for starters. I'm no expert, these are just my opinions     :thumbsup:  I like your plan and it sounds like you've done your research. Go for it and keep us posted!
"Leaves are fallin all around..time I was on my way." -Led Zeppelin

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 07:06:00 AM »
Kmurray,I think your plan is sound and will work. Don't concern yourself with what others say be concerned with your objective. I think that a longbow is a great way to start shooting and that you learn to shoot well if you are so inclined. My advise would be to call Craig at HH Archery and have a talk with him about what you want to do. I'm sure he can help you with your journey.    :thumbsup:      :archer:

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 07:15:00 AM »
Surely there must be some trad archery groups around Phoenix. I've never met another archer who wasn't happy to try one of my bows or let me try his.

There is so much difference between a straight grip and one of the many variations of locator grips, that I would at least want to try a couple different grips before buying. And that's just in "D" type long bows.

Then you have all the different r/d longbows.

If you can't try at least a couple of bows you think you would like, I'd be inclined to buy a used one. Shoot it, decide what you like and dislike. Then sell/trade it for what you think you might like better. Repeat as necessary.

Assumeing you pay a fair price for the bow, you can nearly always re-coup your cost within a couple of dollars.

A cheap education and a lot of fun.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 07:18:00 AM »
Years ago, an old boy with an archery shop in his garage told me to buy the best arrow I could afford, and the cheapest bow I could get by with.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 07:41:00 AM »
I agree with Bladepeek in that you should try some bows first.  If you post on Pow Wow looking for some help in the Phoenix area, I'm sure you will find some Trad Gangers that will not only allow you to try a few different bows but can get you started on some form tips too.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 07:50:00 AM »
Some good advice already from some of the most knowledgeable folks here.

Tippit has  a great suggestion, in finding someone local and try a bow or two if you can.

Be careful of Bladespeeks advice, or your signature line will end up as a bow collection.  :laughing:  

All kidding aside, I think looking at the classifieds is a great idea, especially until you find that one type of bow design you like.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 09:12:00 AM »
I think you may want a longer bow.  60" seems a little short for a HH even at your dl.  If you like an HH bow, get it.  You can always get something else if it doesn't work out.

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 09:16:00 AM »
My first stikbow nearly made me put down bows for good! It was sluggish, had handshock beyond belief and my pain threshold. I bought that bow based on price (it was new) and the manufacturer's reputation (I'm not saying who it was). The very best thing you can do is try as many bows as possible, pick out one that's fun to shoot and has the right "feel" to it (you'll know it when you feel it) then look for a used one here in the classifieds that won't break the bank or from one of our advertisers who sells used bows, and save up for a custom job in the future. PS there was no "Internet" when I bought my first longbow, so I had no access to used bows or good advice!

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 10:49:00 AM »
If you want a HH bow, discussing things with Craig Eakin is the best thing you can do. Let him help you decide the grip type, bow length & poundage. He's there to help you be pleased with your choice. Read the HH bow thread. There is so much info there it should be a book. Be prepared to enjoy yourself!
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 11:11:00 AM »
Try all you can ,but also don't be stuck with one type in your head. There are a bunch of good bows and bowyers out there. Call Craig at Hill Archery, give Chad Holm's a call at Holm-Made. Talk to Steve at Northern Mist or Gerry at Great Northern. All these folks are willing to give you good advise not only on their bows but Archery and shooting as well! Good luck in your search and have fun!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 11:34:00 AM »
The bow you can't stop picking up is the one you will shoot the best.  For my money, that's how you make the choice between longbow and recurve.

The HH bows are as forgiving as any out there. Straight limbed longbows also tend to be the easiest to tune an arrow to. Be aware that you will have to make form changes to keep them from beating the snot out of you.  They kick.  

I have to echo others on the thread and say, shoot a bunch fo bows first!  If you ahve to, put your money back in your pocket until one of the big trad gatherings comes around, shoot a bunch of bows there, then make up your mind.  The range of bows, how they feel and how they fit is wide and deep.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 12:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Gator1:
Some good advice already from some of the most knowledgeable folks here.

Tippit has  a great suggestion, in finding someone local and try a bow or two if you can.

Be careful of Bladespeeks advice, or your signature line will end up as a bow collection.   :laughing:  

All kidding aside, I think looking at the classifieds is a great idea, especially until you find that one type of bow design you like.
Gator1, Touche

Guess I better change my signature line to protect the innocent (me).
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 01:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by limbshaker:
If you get a bow that makes you say to yourself, "man, I like this bow" I think you will be more apt to shoot it more.
That right there is of utmost importance in my opinion.
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

"short skirts create less drag in the woods..." (Dave Worden)

Offline arrowlauncherdj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2012, 02:00:00 PM »
If it were me I'd go to a shoot or two an try some bows, recurve and longbow... Straight and R/D... Then make a decision. Dont get so stuck on 'trad'  and say it must be this or that to be trad... Go by feel, and if a curve feels better as it does for me, then go with it.  I personally find all hill style bows that Ive tried shockey as heck. Not to mention I must be longbow stupid as I hit my forearm all the time.

Dave

Offline term

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2012, 02:21:00 PM »
I would like to se you get some help local.  Trust me folks in your area will help if they know you need it. They will get you miles ahead of the game on a bow choice.  Many if not most of us owe our skills and love of this to someone who knew we needed the help. Good luck term
Still looking for something I might of forgot.

Offline Kmurray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2012, 11:10:00 PM »
I want to thank all of you for your input and suggestions.

I do know that I want a longbow.. the longbow appeals to me in way's I can't explain. I'm not saying recurves are bad, not saying I'll never give one consideration... just know that the long bow is what's calling be back to archer for over a year now... it's time to pull a trigger  ;)  
I guess I should have explained that I was not intending this to be a "what bow should I buy" question, but directed towards the suitability of HH Bobcat....

I know and have read the "try before you buy" moniker that is reiterated here time and time again.  I really have been reading  :)

I will indeed be looking to tap into local resources for sure... I'm new here on Phx ( been here a month now) and getting settled in but hopefully I'll be able to play soon...

I think I will post a like question on the HH Bug thread since it was more or less a HH question... thanks again for all your input.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2012, 07:13:00 AM »
Remember this is just  an opinion. But when I got my first long bow, it was a hill. And to me it was like shooting a shotgun with one hand.  I gave it a fair try of about a month. Shooting regularly and said trad archery is NOT for me.  Abut 12 years later I met some trad guys and shot different bows and decided to get a R/D longbow and I have never stopped shooting.  Point is. Shoot lots of bows. And never let $ be the defining factor in your decision.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©