3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: DIY Ground Blind  (Read 562 times)

Offline Blue Tick

• Trad Bowhunter
DIY Ground Blind
« on: August 02, 2012, 01:15:00 AM »
Alright gang. Thought I'd share how I build my ground blinds and the materials list I use. Hopefully some of y'all find it helpful. I got the idea from another site a few years ago and have been building these for a while now. They hold up well and last (so far) much longer than I've been able to get a high dollar blind to last.

Here's my materials list:

1- 4'x16' cattle panel
1- 12'x27' outdoor carpet (color depends on stock)
Zip ties (as many as you think)
3 or 4 1/2" pvc 8'(for the roof)
1-roll of black painters plastic 4mil thick

I think that's about it, materials wise.

1st thing I do is roll out the carpet and split down the middle. This allows for 2 blinds. I leave 2' overhand on each end and use the remaining 7' for the roof.

2nd: Lay the cattle panel out on the carpet (black in) allow 3-4" on the bottom. I put the part of the panel with the smaller squares on bottom. You will cut that bottom piece of straight off making spikes. Poke the carpet thru the spikes (this holds the carpet at the bottom)and when you setup, the spikes go into the ground.

Here's a full length shot. The excess you see up top will serve as a flap to fold up for part of the roof.

3rd: Start zip tying the panel in whatever fashion/pattern you want. Cut the tag ends off when your done.

This picture shows how you can cut the panel in half and reattach for easier transporting. I usually use my 16' trailer and just transport as 1 piece.

4th: Once you have the panel setup and into a circle, I cut spikes and attach the pvc to form the roof as seen in these pics. Also, when you circle the panel, it will pull the carpet nice and tight.

Sarrels Blue Ridge SR "Autumn Hunter"
Lone Star Skull Works

Offline Blue Tick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: DIY Ground Blind
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 01:16:00 AM »
This pic shows how you can use wire to hold the pvc on if you feel the need. I have found that the pressure from the pvc itself holds it on just fine.

These next series of pics will show will show the pvc attached to form the roof and zip tied. Also you will see how the excess carpet folds up to help form the roof. You can also see how I use the plastic to help with the roof and to keep pretty dry as well. The additional 7' piece of carpet is then put over the plastic and zip tied as well. Being that's is a square piece, you just have to move/place it around to fit as you want.
Note: do not install the roof until you have the blind in place and secured in a circle and your windows are cut. Makes for easier window placement IMO.

5th: Take the blind out and set it up wherever you want. Form your circle a wire it up to hold in place. Before you install your roof, set inside and decide where you want to cut your windows. Be sure not to completely cutoff the carpet, as you can use that to close it up when you want. Once you have the windows where you want, put your roof on. You don't have to do it this way, it was suggested in the original plans I found for this type of blind and it makes sense to me. You can cut the windows whatever size/dimensions you see fit.

Lastly: Get out and enjoy your handiwork and a blind that will last you quite a while. Since the carpet is green (couldn't find black anywhere) I do add some brown and black to break it up. You can also choose to brush it in if you prefer.

Total cost per blind is about $85 or so, plus your time.
Lone Star Skull Works

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 07:30:00 AM »
Nice whats's the weight/ how easy is it to move?
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 08:12:00 AM »
I just did a blind build-a-long very similar. That look's great.

What kind of bow is that?   "[dntthnk]"
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 08:29:00 AM »
:nono:    :nono:    :nono:
Silence is golden.

Offline yankeevol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 08:35:00 AM »
Great blind. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Blue Tick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 09:15:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bldtrailer:
Nice whats's the weight/ how easy is it to move?
The main weight is in the cattle panel. Not sure of the exact total weight, but for the most part they are easy to move. Remove the top and then move where you want.
Lone Star Skull Works

Offline Blue Tick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 09:19:00 AM »
Originally posted by Shedrock:
I just did a blind build-a-long very similar. That look's great.

What kind of bow is that?    "[dntthnk]"  
LOL....that was my old hoyt before I left wheels and moved to stick and string. I do still carry wheels out with me from time to time.
Lone Star Skull Works

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 09:25:00 AM »
Better pull that last pic or the whole thread probably will get pulled. No wheel bow pics on Tradgang.

Nice blind, Alot like Shedrocks blinds.  :)  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 10:37:00 PM »
Whats interior dimensions about?
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Offline Blue Tick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 11:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by Soonerlongbow:
Whats interior dimensions about?
I have never really measured them. I use a 16' cattle panel, my best guess is about 6.5-7' is the interior dimension after I do my overlap of the panel. The interior height works out to right at 6'. I will be setting the 2 newest up in just a couple weeks and will post final pics and measure.
Lone Star Skull Works

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 11:58:00 PM »
Wow!

Hereabouts a "ground blind" means you laid a few branches around a stump to break up your front and back.

Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 12:37:00 AM »
veryyy nice!
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 01:47:00 PM »
glad I saw a link to this. gonna build a few myself this year. topping it for me.
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 03:53:00 PM »
OK what about building one on it's  :help:   blind)my farmer friend wraps his bales in shrink wrap(white)leaves them on field  :archer:   edges till needed (perfict ambush  :archer2:   sights)
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline shirikahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2013, 04:11:00 PM »
I like it...I've been thinking of taking some poles from an old dome tent, taking some straps and making an X on the ground with them so slip into, shoring up the top so they don't wiggle, then wrapping it in burlap

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2013, 02:37:00 AM »
where did you get the outdoor carpeting? i'm working up a price on this, and that seems to be the most expensive thing. any good alternatives? landscaping fabric, maybe?
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline Hawken1911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2013, 02:48:00 AM »
Cheap pop-up blinds can be had for under a hundred bucks, and some really decent ones for under $200.  It seems like this DIY one would not be much of a money saver, and for those of us that also have the mindset that 'time is money', forget about it.  I guess I'm just not seeing any advantage to making one vs. buying one, unless the homemade ones are way more durable.

Clever idea though, using a cattle panel.
ST. HUBERT'S RANGERS, Brotherhood of the Medieval Hunt.
MICHIGAN LONGBOW ASSOCIATION
Scott Spears Osage English longbow,50#@28"

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2013, 06:57:00 AM »
:thumbsup:
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline Lone Ranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2013, 07:59:00 AM »
cost vrs time: these hog panel type of blinds are DURABLE! lets see yall take your 200.00 popup blind and leave it in the woods all season (or all year) and see what becomes of it! to me these are semi permanent blinds that can be set early, the animals do get accustomed to them, and are much better than someone that decides "dang its raining today I guess I will take my popup blind"  that being said these Panel blinds are not for everyone and in some cases make no sense.

I bet if you fire off a thermacell in there there wouldn't be a skeeter ANYWHERE inside them!

L.R.
Profanity Makes Ignorance Audible

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©