3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Leaves falling, no corn on stocks, early season?????  (Read 384 times)

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
Leaves falling, no corn on stocks, early season?????
« on: August 02, 2012, 12:08:00 PM »
The man that farms my fields is already taking out the corn. We have stalks but no corn on them! I was out checking stands this week and some acorns were on the ground. Yesterday I did a 5 mile SUP paddle at a local lake and watched the leaves fall into the water. Some already in color! What will early season look like? I am going to have to scout a lot just to figure out how to play my cards. Thoughts??
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Leaves falling, no corn on stocks, early season?????
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 12:11:00 PM »
The Times they are A-Changin'!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 12:36:00 PM »
Iv been wandering the same  :readit:  This might be like a High Plains Hunt!!!

Iowa hasnt delt the deer population a blow in some time ( except several years of extreamly high Doe tags ).  We might find it easer to find deer without mast crops everywhere?  :dunno:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 12:41:00 PM »
I would guess the leaves are due to stress from lack of water.  Our oaks always start dropping now.  They seem to shed some acorns early to help the rest mature, I notice the same thing with apples.  Since the rut is more determined by day length, I don't think you will see that early.  Shifts due to available food sources might be different this year.  Especially those of you who hunt farm based food sources.  The crop collapse should change your whitetail behavior, imho.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »
same here. 30 days without rain in June has stressed the majority or the trees here. While it has been raining of late the damage has all ready been done.
Make a life, not a living

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 03:49:00 PM »
The corn is toast for sure but their's still a chance to get some beans if we get rain. Like every one else said water and acorns. I'm in someone's timber most every day (For Work)and their's a decent acorn and hickory crop out their.

We'll have to wait and see what happens.

doug77

Offline arrowlauncherdj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 04:34:00 PM »
Food plot time, lol... or like said earlier, hunt over water if you can find it.

dave

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 04:58:00 PM »
We've got muscadines already raining down 2 to 3 weeks early down here.  The deer and hogs are wearing them out. Persimmons will probably be early too. i don't know what you guys have up your way.  i've got a lot of cutover that is about 3 to 4 years old now that has a lot of browse that the deer are using pretty heavily and will be until we get a heavy frost.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 05:54:00 PM »
Got about a 100 acres of soybeans right behind my house that just got planted a couple wks ago. Bout 6" up now.

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 10:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by arrowlauncherdj:
Food plot time, lol... or like said earlier, hunt over water if you can find it.

dave
My plot is not that bad. It died off last year. I knew I would have no time to re-plant this Spring so I tossed out some clover during our last frost. Checked it for the first time last week and the clover was up nice. Shocked since I did not spray and disc!
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline AWPForester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 12:16:00 AM »
Drought conditions are causing the leaves to turn earlier, and the reason the corn has no ears on it.  Every year you are going to have some early droppers on the mast due to the acorns that are just bad.  Unless a freak wind/storm knocks them out, the ones on the ground now are not solid, or the meat is bad, going bad, or has/had worms in it.

At least here the mast is pretty good this year but it is spotty.  There are scarlet and black oak in pockets and it seems the chestnut oak hit.  Some white oak as well.  You guys that are having the bad drought probably are not going to have much mast next year on the red oak family unless they start getting some moisture real soon.  By the sound of it it might be too late though.

Your Red Oak family takes 2 years for the acorns to reach maturity. white oak only takes one.  So when you have years of high levels of stress on the first year of the acorns on the red oaks, next year normally suffers.  However, the Scarlet(pin)oak is drought resistant and will usually have them when the true Red and Black oaks do not.

By all means check the Red oak families this year as they could have very well still produced their acorns due to the 2 year maturity they require.  Find your oaks in the hollows and wet east and north faces and see if they produced.  This is the kind of year when you find the food, better watch our vause the deer are going to be hammering it.  Good luck and God Bless
Psalm 25:3 Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: Let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 10:06:00 AM »
Originally posted by AWPForester:
Drought conditions are causing the leaves to turn earlier, and the reason the corn has no ears on it.  Every year you are going to have some early droppers on the mast due to the acorns that are just bad.  Unless a freak wind/storm knocks them out, the ones on the ground now are not solid, or the meat is bad, going bad, or has/had worms in it.

At least here the mast is pretty good this year but it is spotty.  There are scarlet and black oak in pockets and it seems the chestnut oak hit.  Some white oak as well.  You guys that are having the bad drought probably are not going to have much mast next year on the red oak family unless they start getting some moisture real soon.  By the sound of it it might be too late though.

Your Red Oak family takes 2 years for the acorns to reach maturity. white oak only takes one.  So when you have years of high levels of stress on the first year of the acorns on the red oaks, next year normally suffers.  However, the Scarlet(pin)oak is drought resistant and will usually have them when the true Red and Black oaks do not.

By all means check the Red oak families this year as they could have very well still produced their acorns due to the 2 year maturity they require.  Find your oaks in the hollows and wet east and north faces and see if they produced.  This is the kind of year when you find the food, better watch our vause the deer are going to be hammering it.  Good luck and God Bless
This is why Tradgang rocks! Thanks!!

Offline akaboomer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 05:14:00 PM »
The lack of the most common food sources will change things but the deer will have to travel more to get a full belly. That equals more opportunity for the guy that keeps his mind open to trying different tactics. The same old stands may not produce so setting up a stand or two to observe from a distance is a tactic that I employ often.

If I have two days to hunt one will probably be spent looking for the place to kill one on day two. One day looking can beat two days wishing.

Chris

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 11:09:00 PM »
It's so dry here, the cactus and sagebrush is dying, no joke. If we have a bad winter, our deer, elk, antelope, ect., will be dying.

I grew up in eastern Nebraska, and loved it when the farmers got the corn out, we always seen way more deer then. I think you would be happy about it also, it gets them deer in the timber where the tree stands are.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2012, 11:29:00 PM »
A few weeks ago, I drove to Colorado via Iowa, Missouri, and Kansas.  I have never seen it as dry as I did in KS and eastern CO.  Not one creek I crossed had water in it, the crops were dying then, and I saw ONE antelope fawn that was living in the shade of a full stock tank.  I do not believe there has been a drop of water fall out of the sky since all along with record heat.  I feel sorrow for every living thing out there.

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2012, 12:31:00 AM »
Drought

Offline mountain lion

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2012, 11:24:00 AM »
our hickory trees are loaded along with locust. The oaks are dry and look gray, a lot of the farmers are choping he corn for silage, and if we don't get some more rain the beans aren't going to do much. All of the brome is dry and crunchy, all the old timers said this is the worst they have seen it since the 50's. Don't really know if the rut will be any earlier, but it might. I'm kind of anxious to see how the season unfolds, I think it will be a decent season.
Wild Horse Creek  kestrel 60" 56#@28
Black Widow KB X 58" 51@28"
Black Widow PSA lll 60" 52@28"

" Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail " Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2012, 03:51:00 PM »
This all day rain should really help the soybean crop and the Oak trees for next year. One farm I hunt the creek is dry and the farmer told me the last time it was dry was 1988.

doug77

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2012, 06:59:00 PM »
I'm not being a smart a$$, but I wonder how our whitetails, mule deer, elk, pronghorns, ect, have made it without corn, beans, and food plots?  :dunno:
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2012, 07:42:00 PM »
I don't have any food plots, but the corn and beans left over on the ground from the combines are a very important winter food sourse for our deer.

doug77

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©