3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: St. Jude's Awesome Trip !  (Read 535 times)

Offline Thunder

• Trad Bowhunter
St. Jude's Awesome Trip !
« on: August 06, 2007, 03:05:00 PM »
It was surely awesome for me !  Friday nite the winner of the St. Jude's Fishing Trip, Darren, showed up with his GREAT son Ethan.  Now I've known Darren and Ethan for a few years now and was really looking foward to a great time with them out on Lake Erie.  I had no idea just how much fun I was going to have.

Friday they got in late, but I got them fed and the license take care of then it was off for some shut-eye....5 a.m. was gonna come early.  Saturday after breakfast, we headed up to the launch at Lake Erie...only to find that the forecast of "waves 2 feet or less" had change, drastically.  Boats were lined up at the launch, with sorrowful eyes we all looked at the 5 foot waves pounding the breakwall.  Took me about two minutes to make the decision....and we took off for "plan B", Mosquito Lake.  Much calmer (inland lake), we launched and were soon trolling.  This time of year it's not noted for great fishing, but it beat the alternative.  It wasn't long when we had a rigger release, and Ethan jumped into action !  Given the rod action, it was obvious Ethan was starting out this trip at the "pro" level...either a very stout walleye or one of the lake's tiger muskies was bending his heavy cast rod over and giving it some serious shakes.  After what seemed like an eternity, and with the fish nearing the boat, it happened...with a solid head shake, off came the lunker.  Was quite the excitement tho' !  We spent several hours on Mosquito...saw the soaring bald eagle overhead, the massive "island" of water lotus in full blossom...but I was itching to get us onto Erie, for some serious fishing.  We took a mid-day break, then with a more favorable lake condition report we headed to Erie with my good luck charm...my great wife, Judi.  At the launch in the state park, we had to get our energy up, so we had a picnic to start things off.

Then we got the boat launched, and ready to get underway.  This is Darren, Ethan and Judi

Now, let the fun REALLY begin !  After a 20 minute run out to the thermoclines at 72 feet, I quickly got the downriggers into play as well as a planing board.  It wasn't long then.....

Ya know, for such a young lad, that Ethan is quite a fisherman....

Of course, Darren was no slouch himself....

while taking a quick break from the action, a glimpse of Ethan brought back to mind the comedian Ron White..."they call me....Tater Salad"

What a day....and to end it with Ethan boating a bonus steelhead AND this sunset, well.....

Offline Thunder

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: St. Jude's Awesome Trip !
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 03:06:00 PM »
Sunday morning brought the threat of rain, storms and high winds.  but by 630 we were 12 miles out and popping walleye and...gulp....sheepshead.  We got some in the cooler before the swells started getting way up there, so we made a rough run for shore.  Day over?  I think not....after a quick stop in the harbor, we went shallow for "footballs"...our infamous smallmouths that run 4 to 5 lbs of pure fight.  I give Ethan all the credit in the world...he hooked into a LARGE smallie and played it well...but the ultra, ultra light rod with 4lb test line wasn't gonna cut it with that football.  You could have heard the "snap" a mile away.  But Ethan was sure smiling...as we all were.  

Then Ethan showed us how to catch some sort of bait ??????

We are still researching to find out what the heck it is...but the jig's big as the fish !  So Ethan used it for bait, and caught this (look very closely...there's BOTH fish on this)

I was laughing so hard, I almost fell overboard...
Then the rains came..but it was time anyway.  So, out we came, then down to the homestead for some lunch, some more fish cleaning, and some good byes....so with some ziploc bags of fillets in a cooler, and several hours of driving ahead of them, we said our farewells.
I believe *I* was the winner of the auction, for as much fun as I had.  Darren is a great guy, and by the wonderful mannerisms of his son he is also a HECK of a father.  I will miss you both, and you as well as your whole family have an open invite here.  Thank you TradGang, for making such smiles possible...not just for Darren, Ethan, Judi and myself...but the kids being helped thru St. Jude's.
God Bless

Offline bluegill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 03:33:00 PM »
Bill,

Looks like a great time was had by all. The little fish looks like a goby to me.

Sean

Offline Thunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 03:34:00 PM »
That's what I thought too, Sean....looking it up now.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 05:12:00 PM »
I miss Darren and Ethan. Used to see them all the time. Cloverdale, Mojam, cutting osage. Then Darren got a job in another state and moved away and we haven't seen him since. Nice to see thier smiling faces once again. Bill you couldn't have gone fishing with finer people.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Thunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 05:34:00 PM »
You've got that right Mickey....what a true pleasure being in their company !

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 05:54:00 PM »
Yeah boy!......St Judes always get a free pass on the fishing trips.....thanks for sharing!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline NW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 06:01:00 PM »
Awsome, thanks THUNDER, for sharing this.
Now that we've exhausted all possibilities, lets get started.

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 06:01:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:    :thumbsup:   Glad you fellows had a great time.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007, 06:07:00 PM »
Love the story and all the smiling faces, Thunder - but I gotta say, in spite of that,  for me, the best part was seeing your smiling (red) face again. Bless you, brother Bill.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007, 07:21:00 PM »
Thunder, that little fish is a Gobi. It's an introduced pest in the great lakes. Our DEC says kill them all. (they do make good bait though)  :)
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 07:48:00 PM »
SWEEETT.. Erie looking great again,, cool pics and looks like ya got a couple of those guppy thingys,,JB
TGMM

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2007, 07:38:00 AM »
I want to join Bill in thanking Terry and TradGang for serving the St. Jude's children in this way and also in allowing for the non-trad archery story to be told here. We spent plenty of time talking about bowhunting as well as fishing.

Thanks for doing such a nice recap of the weekend Bill. And thanks also for a quality trip. We can't tell you enough how much fun we had. I definitely want to take you up on your offer to bring the family up.

If you don't know Bill you have to understand that he is somewhat of a medical miracle. Doctors can't explain it, but he doesn't have a heart in his chest.....it's too big! The man is passionate about serving others and I am blessed to call him friend.  

I've been fortunate over the years to meet quite a few wives of stickbow archers. It seems they are always top-notch folk. Judi was no exception. She had us invade her home, brought some civility to our antics, and wouldn't let us leave without a hug. Thanks for being such a wonderful hostess Judi.

Mickey, you know we miss you and Di. I think I found a potential customer in your area, so don't be surprised if you have a self-invited dinner guest in the next few weeks. I still take a bow on the road with me when I can. Got to shoot with George Stout a couple months back.

Thanks again Bill.

Darren & Ethan

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2007, 07:46:00 AM »
That's goooooooood stuff right there!!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2007, 08:42:00 AM »
That's what it's all about right there....thanks to Thunder Bill, his lovely wife for donating and Darren & Ethan for contributing.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2007, 09:34:00 AM »
Looks like a great time to me as well. I'm like you Mickey, I miss seeing Darren and his fine boys, dang they are getting big!!

Bill, seein your smilin face was mighty nice. And here's proof, behind every good man stands a great woman. Thanks Bill, for your generosity, and fine story tellin.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2007, 09:43:00 AM »
The thought of all the good done and re-done through the auction is sobering and joyous at the same time, but like Bernie,...

...for me, seeing ole Wee Willy Wooster's onery mug was in itself a blessing and a special treat!

Go well, my bull rider buddy... go well on your path.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2007, 10:51:00 AM »
Ya got that right, Doc   :archer:
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Thunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2007, 02:27:00 PM »
Darren, thanks for the kind words.  We would LOVE to have your whole family up sometime...maybe a fall foliage/steelhead/etc. trip, who knows.

Hi Dano !   :bigsmyl:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©