3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is the Hand Climber really worth the $$??  (Read 477 times)

Online buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Is the Hand Climber really worth the $$??
« on: August 02, 2012, 08:18:00 PM »
Hey everyone I have been very interested in purchasing a lone wolf hand climber combo II. The main reasons that I have considered buying one are because I am sick of hand rails and bars that get in the way and restrict shots from the side and behind; I have also wanted to switch to a lighter stand that wont be so rough to carry. I have made searches here on the sight and have read mostly good things about this tree stand, however I am still a little gun shy because of the high price. I am also unsure as to how hard it will be to get used to climbing with this stand, as it looks a little uncomfortable to climb   :dunno:  . So basically my question is it really worth spending this large amount of money on a lone wolf climber? Or should i just stick with my API. Just wanting to hear some opinions before I decide to purchase it or not. Thanks!

Offline wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is the Hand Climber really worth the $$??
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 08:35:00 PM »
I have a LW and love it.  It is light and rock solid.  The first time I tried it, I put it 1' off the ground and stood on the corner with one leg on the stand and one leg out over the edge and it never moved.  I do carry an extra seat pad because after an hour with the standard one it gets a little painful.  Now before this stand, I had a Baker so anything was better than that.  I did try some other companies and liked the LW the best.  I got mine on E#$@ for a fair price.  If I take care of it, it will last many years for me.

Offline Passthru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 08:38:00 PM »
The are quiet and they pack well.  They are not known for comfort or easy climbing.  Don't pay full price.  Search Clist with Searchtempest and watch AT.

Offline BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 08:45:00 PM »
I have the hand climber and it is very easy to use. What I like is it is very compact. It is also comfortable for it's size. Right now I'm using it with my Loggy base but I will be getting the Lone wolf base one day. The stabilizer straps really lock it down.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 08:52:00 PM »
I bought mine for $50 at a sports shop clearance sale. I picked up two LW lock ons for the same price. Lucky me.  :)

As for climbing with the hand climber, there is a definate trick to it. First time, I severely bruised my elbows. Then I watched the LW video on theirs site and it went a whole lot better after that.

Do a search for LW hand climber. There are some really good tips on here. I added a strap to the seat and it basically becomes a sit & climb. It works really slick.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 08:57:00 PM »
I've got the wide sit and climb and it works great.  Comfortable to climb and sit although I may try a net seat.  The bar folds under the seat so there isn't anything obstructing your shot.  I haven't tried the hand climber.

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 09:06:00 PM »
I love the hand climber and it is not bad to climb with and of course you can put a strap underneath it to make it a sit and climb. The stand is so solid that I have taken shots from standing on the seat. I have a sit and climb and only used it a few times, it is just too bulky for my taste.

Offline bucksakemmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 09:12:00 PM »
I have always used the API Bowhunter, bought the Lone Wolf with the hand climber. I liked the belt with the cam lock over the Api chain with pin very light weight rock solid super quite.
Bottom line you need the climber but dont pay full retail.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 11:11:00 PM »
Been using a LW hand climber for 6-8 years.  I don't find it difficult to use or uncomfortable for all day sits.  I do occasionally use a strap on the climber to turn it into a sit and climb.

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 09:00:00 AM »
I really like my LW hand climber.  Buy a molle system and it turns the stand into a pack frame.  I put my back pack right on top of the stand, buckle the hip belt of the pack around the stand and it makes a very solid and secure system.

The waffle platform is very comfy for the feet instead of the usual rails or rails and mesh of other stands.  With a bungie on the seat strap the seat will fold up silently and flat against the tree for when you are standing.

Offline Pete Patterson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 09:27:00 AM »
Does anyone know what the difference in weight between the seats of the hand climber and the sit and climb is?  I couldn't find it on their website.
....and lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the age. Matt 28:20

Offline Pete Patterson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 11:29:00 AM »
Uuuuummmmm......I did some ciphering by comparing the weights of the two systems in total.  The sit and climb weighs 21 lbs and the Assault combo II weighs 14.7 lbs.  Soooooo, it looks like the difference of 6.3lbs would be the weight difference of the two seat systems since the two platforms are the same dimensions.
....and lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the age. Matt 28:20

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 01:22:00 PM »
If I had to buy another climber it would be another LW Hand Climber..so I guess it is to me.

Offline GrayG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 03:42:00 PM »
Extremely quiet and stable. Best climber I have ever used.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2012, 04:24:00 PM »
What Gray said for me too.RC

Online graybarkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2012, 05:17:00 PM »
red beastmaster and skipmaster, this may be a dumb question but how do yall go about putting the strap on the climber to make it into a sit an climb?i got a hand climber and thought the strap was a good idea. thanks in advance
By the way, its the best climber i've owned as far as stability and ease of shooting a 60" bow out of.

Offline bama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2012, 05:25:00 PM »
I like the hand climber - have used it for years.
Quickest and quietest way to get up a tree.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2012, 04:58:00 PM »
Best one made. I still like the little hang on better because there are not a lot of trees conducive to a climber here but I think it's the best out there as far as climbers go.

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2012, 06:40:00 PM »
I had an API before I bought my LW hand climber.  It was a nice stand, but heavy and not near as quiet to climb with.  Since using my LW for the last 7-8 years, I would never switch back.  It is light, easy to setup, solid in the trre, quiet to climb with and even though mine was made before the climbing strap, I made one for it from a tree stand harness and now I can sit and climb with it too.  The newer ones come with the climbing strap I think, at least the one by buddy bought a couple years ago did.  Mine does not have the stabilizer staps and I really don't see that I need them, however I did tie the two pieces together with a rope.  So I don't find myself up a tree sitting with the base on the ground.  Did the same thing with all the other climbers I have had over the years.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2012, 08:48:00 PM »
I have always wanted to try a Lonewolf. Right now I have a Summit Openshot and love it. It's lightweight and quiet.
 A climber is a necessary tool for me hunting public land. I bought my first one years ago out of curiosity and have stayed with it ever since. No more missing/stolen hang ons!!!
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©