3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: KS Elk Tag  (Read 325 times)

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
KS Elk Tag
« on: August 02, 2012, 11:05:00 PM »
I put in for the first time this year for and elk tag that allows me to hunt FT Riley's elk herd and I drew a cow tag for the 2nd segment that was kinda of bitter sweet for that is a rifle season. Today I called to pay for the tag and get a bit more info and found out to my surprise that not only was I able to hunt the whole month of November but I could also hunt the Archery season which is the whole month of September with my tag. So I have a month to get it done with the stick and string and if not. I will have month of deer then back to elk. Win Win.

Ok I will start scouting this upcoming week and see if I can find the herd and any likely ambush spots or spot and stalk.

Is there any other tactics that might work for cow elk?

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: KS Elk Tag
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 11:11:00 PM »
Good luck bud I have sen them up their on the far north end but the land owner said they didnt sick around his place much but it was realy cool to see

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 11:13:00 PM »
Oh They have been seen almost to Marysville and Claycenter. But the core area is in off limits areas of course.

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 11:33:00 PM »
Congradulations and good luck!!
Hap

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 11:41:00 PM »
has it been hot and dry?  sitting water might be a good idea....
is it September yet??

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 11:43:00 PM »
There was a trad guy featured in traditional bowhunter mag a few years ago from out there who took a bull. If you can find his name perhaps he could give you some input. Was a good article and sounded like a good hunter.

Congrats
Dan- in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Lucas K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 11:48:00 PM »
Congratulations! Been putting in most of my life, no luck yet.... Hope you get one!
Lucas Kent

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 12:02:00 AM »
Congratulations Kelly! I'll bet finding a waterhole would be the best bet.
Good luck.  :thumbsup:

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 01:08:00 AM »
lost calf cows, excited and often, are deadly on cows.  I fill my reduced cow tag every year this way.  Just got to be a baby that cant find her way home.

good luck!
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 01:38:00 AM »
Good for you Kelly!!! Keep us in the loop if you get some scouting in.

I have 3 different friends who have taken Elk there. You have a chance at taking some nice animals there. Good luck.

Bretto

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 08:18:00 AM »
Lucas,
I have one advantage on getting tags I only competed against military stationed here for a tag. If I remember right it is about half that is reserved for military, but I have a friend did not get one and another that has been putting in for 14yrs and just got his bull tag this year. They are not easy by no means but if you believe fish and game the heard is growing in western KS and the one here is spreading out. So it may not be long and we all have a good chance to get on in other areas of KS.

It was hot and dry but we have gotten some rain yesterday.

I will be using the bow I got in the swap over on the bench it is a BBO pulling 50 at 27", my arrows will be the made of sour wood shoots (Thanks to Pat B), with turkey feathers fletchings, tipped with a broad head of my own make. My ole trusty spatula heads (I made them from an old spatula).

If given a chance I know this set up will do the trick. I just have to get close, I really want to do some spot and stalk. I have tried it on coues in AZ never got a deer but I could get close to Does and bucks were few and far between.

Lost calf I will have to look that up and see what it sounds like. I have an old Sceery cow call.

So I need to knock the dust off and start practicing that too.

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 08:40:00 AM »
Congrats on the tag and good luck. Keep us posted.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 09:42:00 AM »
My buddy drew a tag last year.  He shot one at the end of the season.  They were filming him so it was tough to get everything to come together.

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 09:46:00 AM »
Right on!
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2012, 10:21:00 AM »
Kelley, with as dry as it is out there this year, find some secluded water and sit. Especially in Sept. Good luck!!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2012, 11:39:00 PM »
I will look at the water wholes if it stays dry. I should beable to find a wallow if I am lucky.

Water and a lost calf call, any other advise. I have to check and see if my buddy is doing with a bow or not. If he is I will try and call for him and he for me if it works out.

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2012, 12:13:00 AM »
Congrats man! That's so awesome! I'm waiting on the herd out here to get some numbers and start chasing them around. Hopefully within the next 10 years that'll happen    :pray:
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2012, 01:01:00 AM »
Thats awesome!!!!! Good Luck!

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2012, 11:09:00 AM »
Snakebit where is that herd at. I know of a herd south of you.

Thanks for all the encouragement.

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2012, 10:53:00 PM »
I've heard of a decent herd by Atwood but mostly just see a few here and there up here. Where is the one south you are talking about?
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©