3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Howard Hill movie question.  (Read 520 times)

Offline yukon chuck

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Howard Hill movie question.
« on: August 03, 2012, 10:16:00 PM »
I want to gain some insight into something, from some of you Howard Hill buffs. I just recently started reading some of his writing, and watching some videos. Last night I watched Tembo. I was surprised to see that in the scenes which featured the kills of the Leopard and the Lion, it was very obvious that the animals were tethered for the shot. Also, on the Elephant kill while I could not discern any tether, something looked very odd about the Elephants behavior and reaction to the shots.
I am not looking to start a debate over right or wrong of this, i am just curious if any of you Hill buffs ever read any interviews with Howard, or perhaps writings of his where this issue was brought up.
>>>--TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Longbow Association
Yucketsville Buffalo & Cricket Association

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle". -Plato

Re: Howard Hill movie question.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 10:46:00 PM »
I don't remember seeing anything on the lion shot.  The question I have over the leopard, it was not a cheetah, how could anyone predict that they could snare one that easy.  As far as the shot in the film, leopards are nocturnal, it would be tough getting good enough light for the cameras they used. Also, there seems to be two different sequences involved, judging by the backgrounds, same with the elephant shots, keep an eye on the number and length of arrows in the back quiver and the change in the background trees.

Offline yukon chuck

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 10:52:00 PM »
I noticed the scene sequences were odd too. Not just poor editing, but in my opinion clearly because of the tethering. My mistake, it was a Leopard. What struck me about the Elephant shots was that the Elephant winds up kind of backed up to the trees and almost seems entrapped.
>>>--TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Longbow Association
Yucketsville Buffalo & Cricket Association

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle". -Plato

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 11:02:00 PM »
yes these animals were killed while retrained - disgusting - don't bother me with time and curcumstance. Lots of other stuff too contrived - makes me wonder if some of the stuff in the books are made up. Tell ya what though that was a tough dude who caught the leopard.  :)
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Online toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 11:55:00 PM »
I am a Howard Hill fan.  I do believe honestly he did harvest alot of these animals if not all with the bow.  Now, understanding the times, I do not attest that something was not done to allow a one time safari to happen on film.  this has been beatem up before.  for those who cann't understand the times, then do not watch any movie and or telivision show before 1980.  Old adventure movies did this often, just keep in mind that this is what Tembo was and adventure movie.  I could point some finger's at some other great bowhunters movies and what I see, but doesn't matter, it promotes and leads to people interest in archery that is what matters.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 12:14:00 AM »
We need to remember that in these times animals were props.  Horses were actually tripped up, cattle were actually stampeded. Lots of animals were injured/died.  That doesn't make it right, just different times and different beliefs.  Today most of us wouldn't take a 50 yard shot, but back then, 50 yards was a short shot.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline LeeBishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 12:16:00 AM »
Those films were produced by a film studio (Its been so long that I forgot which one) back in a day when people sure weren't Politically Correct and everything was a spectacle. Those were seen as exotic adventure films.

Those producers wanted to film a spectacle for a featurette, not a documentary or a hunting show.

They always wrangled animals and everything was planned and scripted. Documentary film didn't come about until the 1950s in England. Before then everything was staged.

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 12:42:00 AM »
The lion, and leopard/cheetah were snared off screen and then tethered for the shot.  The elephant on film was shot in the knees with a rifle so it wouldn't move for the camera.....back in the 50's you had to lug 60 pounds of noisy camera gear around for taking movies...considering that alot of films were shot indoors with painted scenery, this Tembo film was a great undertaking.  Crude, yes...inhumane, maybe....great for getting generations of archers interested in Hillstyle longbows for life?....priceless.

those were the times...don't like it, don't watch any old movies and bury your head in the sand.

What's always mentioned, especially by Nagley fans, is the elephant shot while crippled.....interesting to note that no one ever brings up the fact that Hill shot two other elephants without handicapping them first, completely legit kills.  Everyone always keys in on the negative stuff.

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 12:52:00 AM »
It's pretty hard to strap one of those old school 16mm cameras to a helmet.....not to mention the guy cranking it!!!    :D
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 12:53:00 AM »
I don't know about the lion or the leopard shots but the elephant was shot in the leg with a rifle to keep it in place.
James Kerr

Offline JParanee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 12:57:00 AM »
Calling it your job don't make it right  :)
Morrison & Titan ILF & BF Extreme Limbs
Silvertip 1 Piece 57#-Silvertip 57#-Black Widow Ma II 61#&69#-Fedora 560 69#- 560 57#-560 60#-560 55#-Brakenbury Shadow 60#-Hoyt Buffalo 55#- Bob Lee 58#- fishing bows PSE's

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 02:46:00 AM »
Imagine what Hill could have done if he did not to film everything.

Offline Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2012, 03:27:00 AM »
Yep, its all kinda unsavory ... but unfortunately it was more than likely a corporate decision based on  the interests of entertainment and its dollar value. Doesn't excuse it at all ... but then I don't judge Saxton Pope on some of his shot choices either . It was a long time ago and in general most had a very different view of the outdoors, hunting and archery ... gladly ... we seem to do better today ... most of the time .

I am eternally thankful to Mr Hill for lighting a fire in the belly of so many archers ... in particular me with the wonderful scenes in Flynn's "Robin Hood" ...

Just as I am thankful to many other 'famous' archers who lit many other fires despite their somewhat questionable choices ... ie POD's , etc

But that was then , this is now

We know better now and i am thankful for it ... but that doesn't mean I don't remain in awe of some the yesteryear derring do , fabled or true .
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Dodger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2012, 04:27:00 AM »
Hill shot two other elephants without handicapping them first, completely legit kills. [/QB]
Nate, was that with or without firearm back-up?

Could you also give me some more details - bow and arrow specs, how many arrows per elephant, distance travelled by each of the elephants after being arrowed, approximate time from first shot to when the elephants died and any other details you may have of these two kills.

Thanks.

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2012, 10:59:00 AM »
Dodger...alot of details in the book by Craig Ekin.

Offline Cochise

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2012, 11:18:00 AM »
Now i cant help but feel sorry for all the teathered englishmen in Robinhood..

Offline LeeBishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2012, 11:33:00 AM »
Originally posted by JParanee:
Calling it your job don't make it right     :)    
Shooting adolescent animals isn't right either(in my opinion), but people do it all of the time.

It irritates me when I see people post photos of spikes, small baby bucks and itty bitty does. I have my own personal standards for hunting. I pass up most of the deer I see.

I won't shoot young deer and I won't shoot does with yearlings following them. But not everyone does that.

It just depends on the person.

I think it may also be part of the Game & Fish Department's fault in a lot of nothern states that don't restrict the taking of small bucks.

Here in Arkansas you essentially have to wait until a buck is a six-point (has to have 3 tines on one side and at least one on the other side, which usually makes the buck a six point) and we have a lot of deer clubs in Arkansas that don't allow for their members to shoot anything smaller than an eight point.

If you want a healthy population then you need to have mature bucks and doe.

Offline Claymore

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2012, 11:40:00 AM »
My son is very conscience of taking care of nature. He has taught me a lot. I did not grow up learning nor did most people care about it 60 years ago. It was ignorance but not all. We knew if you cut all the trees on a step hill you would ruin the creeks. We did not recycle, no one did. So do I condem my parents for not teaching me all these things. Of course not. You can't throw rocks at those of the past because they lived with a different mindset. Just remember someone 60 years from now is going to be throwing them at you. Just as some of you through them at Howard, PETA throws them at you now for killing an animal and allowing it to bleed to death. Different mind set.
Don Dow 37@30
HH Cougar 38@30
Hoyt Excel 38@30

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2012, 11:47:00 AM »
All the Kills where legit, and then staged again to be filmed....
    One of the film crew was killed by one of the elephants....
    Gun back up or not, you stalk and kill an elephant with a bow and then get back to us....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2012, 12:06:00 PM »
Sure there was some staging going on in these films and stories they were not done to be object lessons in ethics; they were done to dazzle and entertain! And camera crews are expensive-to say nothing of the fact you can't stalk effectively with 20 guys and equipment tagging along. Howard even said that.
When talking about the video of Howard shooting the Buffalo from horseback Howard tried that sequence many times, and he admits that he could not ride well enough to shoot the animal from a horse at full gallop so they monkeyed the film and did a marvelous job!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©