3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Quiver Options for Elk Hunting  (Read 407 times)

Offline rlc1959

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Quiver Options for Elk Hunting
« on: August 04, 2012, 03:21:00 PM »
For you experienced Elk Hunters do you prefer quiver on the bow ,side quiver or Cat quiver. I have been practicing using a cat quiver here around my 3D course and kinda like it. Took my quiver off my bow and I think I shoot a little better and seems quieter. Leaving September 10th first trip with Trad Equipment. Always kept my quiver on my wheel bows when chasing Elk.

Thanks for all opinions, Randy
Randy Chamberlin

NRA Life Member
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member
United Bowhunters of PA Life Member
PBS Member

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quiver Options for Elk Hunting
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 04:30:00 PM »
I use an alpine soft- loc or however Its  spelled mounted to a leather hip piece that goes on a belt, don't have experience with cat quiver or bow mounted quivers. Here is a pic from Turkey season, it doesn't come into contact with pack if you mount it low enough. You can buy the leather from Alpine or have it made at leather store for about half the price.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 04:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by old_goat2:
I use an alpine soft- loc or however Its  spelled mounted to a leather hip piece that goes on a belt, don't have experience with cat quiver or bow mounted quivers. Here is a pic from Turkey season, it doesn't come into contact with pack if you mount it low enough. You can buy the leather from Alpine or have it made at leather store for about half the price.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 05:29:00 PM »
For me and everything I hunt, there is nothing more convenient than a good bow quiver.

I like the extra weight on the bow, and I've found that a good quality quiver will make my bows quieter and absorbs some of the "shot".

I use either Selway and EFA on all my bows.
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 05:38:00 PM »
I've always prefered the quiver on the bow. Just practical and I like the feel of shooting with that weight on the side.
is it September yet??

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 06:14:00 PM »
When I  first started I couldn't shoot a bow with a quiver on it.  And carried my arrows around on a hip style quiver suitable for broad heads. The whole time wishing I wasn't doing that.  The arrows would get hung up on things and would be real cumbersome. And. ANOTHER THING TO PACK.
Anyway. The solution. And a better choice for me was changing to a better bow quiver.  Something smaller and close to the bow.  Big fan of the KANATI  4 arrow and have used and like as well the Great Northerns as well.
I would advise against the cat quiver. As its something considerable to pack among your other gear..
Good luck

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 06:34:00 PM »
I'm with most the other guys. I like a good bow quiver, most convienent, have more control and I like the weight. Unlike you, my selways make the bow quieter and are solid.
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Stryder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 06:51:00 PM »
Great Northern Sidekick is my choice for elk hunting.
R.C. Chandler
[email protected]

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 07:55:00 PM »
Usually, chasing Elk around the mountains there is enough stuff hanging on me, around my neck or on my belt, especially if your backpacking in. The last thing I want is a quiver full of arrows hanging on me. The bow quiver is the best place for them, theyre always together ready to go.

Eric

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 08:36:00 PM »
I've always preferred a bow quiver.  Very easy to maneuver, provides a little extra heft to the bow, which helps steady it, also quiets the bow as well.  And the arrows are always right there when yo need them.

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 10:21:00 PM »
I'm with the bow quiver guys, way too much other stuff hanging off.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 11:18:00 PM »
Tried everything else.  Can't beat the bow quiver.

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 12:21:00 AM »
I like the quiver caddy with a kwikee....or now the quiver caddy with the new Absokee quiver.   Has worked well for me for more than a couple decades now.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 01:07:00 AM »
I'm not an experienced elk hunter, but this quiver works for me, the GFA

"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline House

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 01:22:00 AM »
I am first and foremost an elk hunter.  I have tried almost all of them cause I somehow convinced myself that a bow quiver wasn't for me.  Now and for the last two years nothing but an EFA bow quiver for me!  Very light, I shoot the same with or without on my three longbows, arrows always at the ready.  When I used a cat quiver I loved it but couldn't sit with it on.  Loved the Arrowmaster but the arrows made some noise in it while I was moving at a brisk pace while it was attached to my pack. Now I just accept that my longbow has a four arrow quiver on it and I think I am better off for it. This is just my experience you may, and likely will, find what works for you is different.

Travis
"Dad I think maybe sometimes you think too much" after an errant shot stump shooting with Cameron, my 5 year old son.

TGMM Family of the Bow
MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2012, 03:23:00 AM »
Bow Quiver!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
,,Sam,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2012, 04:02:00 AM »
For sure the best way to carry arrows when you have to cover ground,climb,sneak in the black timber and be' ready without too many movements,is a bow quiver.Your arrows will al was be ready,quiet and safe.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2012, 05:00:00 AM »
I have never hunted elk but for all my hunting needs I find the Bow Mate Elite side quiver to be the best all around quiver.
James Kerr

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2012, 07:32:00 AM »
I'll be the odd man out here.  I like my Arrow Master and continue to use it.  I used a bow quiver many years ago and never liked the weight.  I used a couple different designs of hip quivers.  The last hip quiver carried three arrows and couldn't have weighed 4 oz. empty.  The problem I always had while still hunting was the arrow fletching constantly waving around with every step - convenient, yes, but way too visible.  Since going to a side quiver I have found the perfect quiver - for ME.  That's really the question isn't it?  It's not what is the perfect quiver for the rest of the world but what is the perfect quiver for you.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2012, 08:01:00 AM »
You're not as odd as you think Pete.  (Although some may debate that point   :p   )

I'm another the prefers a side quiver for my elk hunting.  In really think cover like the oak brush that I often find myself in I find it easier to move through with a side quiver than with a quiver full of arrows on my bow.

I am currently using an Arrowmaster like Pete, and love it.  I also have some plans to make one of my own design, but either way, I find that they ride tight along my side and slip easily through the brush.  An arrow is always right at my hip and I have never found getting an arrow out to be an issue.

But as Pete suggests, quiver choice is highly personal, and there are many ways to skin the cat.  What's best for one is not best for all.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©