3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ground Blinds - pop-up  (Read 355 times)

Offline BrownA5

• Trad Bowhunter
Ground Blinds - pop-up
« on: August 05, 2012, 08:25:00 AM »
Over the past few years I have found myself becoming more interested in hunting from the ground as opposed to elevated stands.  I am curious as to what kind of "pop-up" ground blinds you all use.  I found a Primos The Club Ground Max Blind XXL for sale and it sounds like a good one as far as height and width (77" x 77".  Any and all input would be appreciated!

Offline Pops

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ground Blinds - pop-up
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 08:28:00 AM »
Hi Dan, I too spend more time on the ground.
I found the Berronett 350 very nice easy to set up.
took 2 deer last year they never knew I was there.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 08:41:00 AM »
If you haven't spent much time in one I would suggest trying before you buy. I just couldn't get used to sitting in one. I have never been claustrophobic but that is the best way I can describe me in a blind all day. A leafy suit has be more enjoyable and effective for me.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline BrownA5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 08:45:00 AM »
Mike, good to hear from you!  I hope your having a great summer.  I have never heard of this brand of blind.  I will have to check it out.

Dan

Offline BrownA5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 08:56:00 AM »
I have often wondered about the "leafy" suits.  Seems like they would interfere with your draw and release.  I have spent some time in a smaller ground blind, 5-6 years ago.  I was a very cold day and what I really enjoyed abut the blind (it was a friends...cheap quality... very cramped) was how it quickly it warmed up inside from just my body heat.  I also killed two deer that day, so obviously have positive memories!

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 09:19:00 AM »
I trim the inner bow arm of mine and have never had a problem.

My opinion of pop ups might be a bit better if I didn't hunt 90% public land. I'm not comfortable leaving one up and they are heavy to pack. I have went through a cycle of thinking I need one, buying and selling 3 times in the last 10 years(2 top brands). I'm slow to figure out what I like.  :banghead:  

Private land or a short walk might be a different story.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline GMASIUK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 09:28:00 AM »
I have the double bull recurve model and a barronett 350. I like the barronett better because it's a lot easier to set up. And its much taller and about half the price of th DB.

Opening day of turkey season this spring I broke one of the pole ends on the double bull  because it's always difficult to set up / take down. I called primos and they said they would send me out the parts n/c as a warranty. Well they said it would take 7-10 days so I purchased the barronett 350 and got it over nighted so I could keep hunting.

Long story short after waiting two weeks for the parts, I had to call again and finally got them after turkey season was over. Oh well at least they sent them. If I had to do it again I would buy two barronett blinds for the price of one DB and save myself the aggravation of the DB set up.

Also the barronett has little to no smell but the DB always has a strong  canvas smell that does not go way. I have never used my DB for deer hunting and never seen a deer from it during turkey season. But using the barronett I had deer coming in to check it out even with no brushing in. I will be using it this fall for deer.

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 09:44:00 AM »
Popups are great I had deer 10yrds walking by(brushing in is a must) had a fawn stick it's head in the window. what ever blind you look at TAKE YOUR BOW and try to swing(for clearance)at arm extended(not full draw) I had a ameristep "dog house" and thought it was big enuff, it wasn't my limbs at full draw would not touch but hit at release and made me miss some easy shots . being ground level eye to eye is a REAL thrill (I'm a long time tree stand hunter) 77x77 sounds big enuff  get the seat you will use and you bow make sure,see if the widows line up (hight width) with your shooting style.
I love to set mine up in blow downs and tall grassy points (no trees near by)
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 09:48:00 AM »
I have four Double Bulls and love them. Their  customer service is exceptional  compared to others. They have a system now where you email in your concern. They email you back a reference number, a phone number and the name of the person you will be speaking with. It's great to talk to a person and not an answering machine.

If you want to know what poor customer service is ask anyone who has had to deal with Cuddeback,
The best things in life....aren't things!

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 11:33:00 AM »
We have 8 pop ups 6 double bulls and one Primos ground max and some other cheap junkie thing sthat it takes 2 to set up and  is too small to shoot out of. The primos I have is is an older one but its 10 times the blind the D Bulls are .It has zip up windows thats the biggest advantage no flaps floping in the wind like the DB and warmer in the winter . I won a DB dark horse at a raffle Ill trade for a primos any day !!! Also you might be interested in a gillie blanket by Avery to cover your pop ups it makes them almost invisible and in the open they look like a big round hay bale . It takes two of them to cover a blind I zippy tie mine together the blankets are 5'x9'....Tim
mos

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 02:30:00 PM »
Tim - Are the Ground Max blinds you are using the "Ground Max Vision" or the "Ground Max Escape"?

Are you guys using the shoot through mesh or do you go with totally open windows?

Offline tradhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 02:47:00 PM »
I have a Double bull blind,and have hunted out of it for over ten years....however my friend just got the barronet 350 and I must say,I am looking foreward to hunting out of it.
The wishbone will never replace the backbone.

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 03:48:00 PM »
Ron LaClair sells the Hidden Hunter blind. Its supposed to be great for traditional hunting/shooting out of. Good price too.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline BrownA5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 07:26:00 PM »
Barronet blinds keep "popping up" (really, no pun  intended (LOL)) in this thread.  I guess I will have to check them out.  Easy Keeper mentioned the shoot through mess.  Seems like that would interfere with arrow flight, but a lot of guys use blinds that have it.  

Keep the input coming... this is great!

Offline Notso

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 07:38:00 PM »
Another vote for the Barronet 350. I shoot a 66" longbow. The barronet is the only blind I have owned that has enough space for me to shoot from the blind unhindered. Made here in WI, too.

Offline jax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2012, 07:46:00 PM »
Where I hunt deer avoid them. If I need to brush them in I'll just make one out of brush

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2012, 07:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by cahaba:
Ron LaClair sells the Hidden Hunter blind. Its supposed to be great for traditional hunting/shooting out of. Good price too.
Anyone hunt out of one? I'm thinking of one for this turkey season.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2012, 08:02:00 PM »
Another Barronet 350 fan also   :thumbsup:  

Slide it up under a ceder tree and enjoy some fine hunting in a bind you can stand up in with plenty of room to spare and half the price of other blinds. We have had are's three years now and not one thing has gone wrong with them yet.

And yes you can shoot through the netting and have perfect arrow flight. Just make sure to use cut on contact broadheads and have them tuned to your arrows.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2012, 08:44:00 PM »
I pulled out my Primos Predator Den today to shoot out of it. I moved from a 64" to a 66" longbow. it's tight with either one....a cant is definitely required, and it helps shooting from the knees or at least a short seat.

As far as the blind goes, i like the construction and ease of set up. No complaints there.

Offline Blue Tick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2012, 01:23:00 AM »
I build my own. I posted a thread showing the build with a few of my own pics and some from where I got the idea from. I use cattle panels and outdoor carpet and then brush them in. They are well over 6' in diameter and over 6' tall. I got tired of ground blinds only lasting a year or 2 at best. I would put them out in late August, early September and pull them in in early January. Always pink after the 1st season and usually ready for the trash after the 2nd.
Sarrels Blue Ridge SR "Autumn Hunter"
Lone Star Skull Works

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©