3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone shoot less than 40 lbs.?  (Read 575 times)

Offline Gregg S

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone shoot less than 40 lbs.?
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2012, 09:27:00 PM »
I'm in the same boat. Used to shoot 65# at my draw. I was young then and I hung drywall for a living. Throwing around 100# sheets for eight to twelve hours a day kept me in pretty good shape. The pounding that my shoulders took from delivering the drywall eventually took it's toll though. 20 years went by and over the last few years I had rotator cuff tears to both shoulders. When the surgeon talked to me after each surgery he said that along with the tears he cleaned up alot of cob webs which probably came about from the years of pounding on my shoulders. Anyway, since then I went down to 52# then 47#. After the last surgery I went down to 35# for shooting 3D's and I will be hunting with about 43# for deer this year. I'm enjoying shooting pain free and have no intention of going any higher in weight. At the 3D shoots, there is really not much noticable difference in arrow speed between my recurve and most other guys bows. I won't be turning in my man card any time soon though. Do what's best for YOU and forget about anybody else.

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2012, 09:51:00 PM »
I shoot 45#. Here in N.J. 35#@28" is legal.

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2012, 10:10:00 PM »
The humorous thing in all this is that I'll most likely HAVE to get a custom bow made, as most commercial off-the-shelf bows usually only go down to about 40#'s......

The Bear Montana comes in low poundage - maybe I'll try one of those.
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

"short skirts create less drag in the woods..." (Dave Worden)

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2012, 10:16:00 PM »
Tom,

Hope you can make the Sissipahaw shoot 8/18. It'd be nice to meet more trad shooters from the Tarheel State.

Bud
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2012, 11:59:00 PM »
Just for the record for you kids, when I started this bowhunting game in the early '60's 40-45 lb was the average deer bow. 50 lb was getting into the heavyweights. Just sayin'...

JW
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2012, 12:12:00 AM »
When I started shooting it was with a Bear super mag 45@28 shot at our local indor range with my brother,we were told then to drop down in weight,45-50lbs was the ideal hunting weight back then.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Mongo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2012, 02:19:00 AM »
Originally posted by Mojostick:
Mongo meant to say he's trying to make up for other inadequacies that we shouldn't mention.     ;)  
NO, Mongo said exactly what he wanted to.  I don't have a problem with light bows for thins skinned animals.  BUT, since I primarily hunt hogs, light bows do not cut it.
If God didn't want man to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.

Offline Claymore

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2012, 07:29:00 AM »
I shoot in the 30's. Target bow is 33# and Howard Hill is 38. Going into my 60's with my body it seems what don't hurt don't work.
Don Dow 37@30
HH Cougar 38@30
Hoyt Excel 38@30

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2012, 09:37:00 AM »
Indian clubs, and kettle bells.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Online paradocs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2012, 09:41:00 AM »
Aw, dude...if only I had known.  Sold a 40# Pacific Yew takedown a few months back that would've been perfect.  Hope to see you in a few weeks.

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2012, 09:48:00 AM »
I had an old Bear recurve when I was a teen and it was only 30@28. I took several deer with it and never had penetration problems. I do have a 30" draw and that helps alot.
Having done so much, with so little, for so long, I can now do anything with nothing.

Offline Eagleeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2012, 10:16:00 AM »
No and im 10 years old.Waiting on my new bow 50@26 cant wait.
Hoots 54" 55@28
at my draw 42@24

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2012, 11:03:00 AM »
Originally posted by paradocs:
Aw, dude...if only I had known.  Sold a 40# Pacific Yew takedown a few months back that would've been perfect.  Hope to see you in a few weeks.
Yep - it seems that I'm always a day late...and now, about 10#'s too short.

I didn't know either.  I haven't shot a bow in over a year, and just got a nice 45# Martin Savannah which reminded me why the last bows I was looking at were in the 38-40# range.  I'm going to have to step WAY down I believe and go with about 35# in order to shoot pleasurably.

And since it looks like I'll be among similarly-challenged friends here, excepting Mongo and a 10-yr old kid, I'll keep hold of my man-card and just do it!
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

Online paradocs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2012, 11:12:00 AM »
Just a thought, Tom...keep an eye out on Great Northern's in-stock bow page.  Jerry has 4 field bows listed under  41#.  Three are lefties, though; the one RH is only 25#, but he adds bows periodically.  Supposed to be good performers, easy early in the draw like you're looking for, and reasonably priced.  Just gotta wait til your draw weight comes up, as he doesn't custom build that particular model.

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2012, 11:20:00 AM »
Depending on your draw length Howard Hill Archery do some economical lower weight bows.
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2012, 12:04:00 PM »
Eagleeye is a very strong boy and he doesn't snap shoot. We work him out with heavy bows and in a short time he is in another lb class.Bad thing is he needs short bows being he is 5'2" .I here people say they shoot better with lighter bows we dont, eagleeye is the same with a light bow he searches for a anchor point and if you give him a heavy bow he doesn't.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2012, 02:27:00 PM »
Actually,

The Op never said anything about what he would be hunting,if anything,with the bow.I dont believe there was any solicitation of oppinions of his choice of said bow either,except for the "Man card" thing,which i believe was in Jest anyway,so lets not turn this into another,Light vrs heavy bow or ethics questioning thread.
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2012, 03:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by Traxx:
Actually,

The Op never said anything about what he would be hunting,if anything,with the bow.I dont believe there was any solicitation of oppinions of his choice of said bow either,except for the "Man card" thing,which i believe was in Jest anyway,so lets not turn this into another,Light vrs heavy bow or ethics questioning thread.
You nailed it, Traxx!

I was certainly just joking about the "man card" thing, and I believe those here that have met me in person (and I've been around a while - member #97) well know that I have no problems with my masculinity nor do I need to tote a man-card.   ;)  

I was, however, interested in drumming up some discussion about lighter-weight bows, who was using what, what may be available, and other folks' general experience with under 40# bows. So, let's continue...
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2012, 06:37:00 PM »
Hi,This is Debbie at Legends Bows.I have shot alot of big game trophies with #35-#37 pounds.Its not always about the poundage,i believe its good arrow set up and picking your shots.I think its made me a better hunter.Im shooting a #37 Cyclone longbow now with a 460 grn, arrow,broadhead is a two blade Zwickey.I have shocked some people at how well this set up works for me.

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2012, 06:38:00 PM »
I see nothing wrong with dropping your poundage to something you can handle better and shoot more acurate.

I personaly am stuck in a wheel chair for all my practicing and have to hunt from an atv. The bow that I shoot the best is 43#. This is my go to bow and alltho I have only had 2 kills my arrows did the job on whitetail's.  

Go with what you are sure of!!  :archer2:
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©