3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Big A finally got me, anybody else?  (Read 546 times)

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
The Big A finally got me, anybody else?
« on: August 05, 2012, 12:53:00 PM »
A as in Arthritis .   Of all places my big knuckles in both hands. Do not want to think about the R word yet. But I will strap one on if it will put me back in a tree in Oct. however anybody else dealing with shooting a bow with arthritis?  Does it get worse? Homeopathic?   50 hasn't been to fun for me.
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline AZWarts

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Big A finally got me, anybody else?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 12:59:00 PM »
im 18 and already have it seasonally:( years of wrestling and wrenching ( ie knucle busting) make my knuckles extremly painful in the winter. cant wait till im old lol.
A superior pilot uses superior judgment to keep from using his superior skills.

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 01:11:00 PM »
Joebuck,
Know how ya feel.  I just got some ointment from my Doc for just this problem.  It's called Voltaren Gel.  Just started using it, hope it helps.  I'll give it a couple of weeks and see if it helps.
It's hell getting old, ain't it?

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 01:14:00 PM »
Welcome to my world, the big "A" has been an issue for me for years and it just never goes away. Plain Aspirin works as good as anything and keep moving.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 01:17:00 PM »
Meloxicam(Rx) and Tylenol Extra Strength. Helps a lot. Shoulders, wrists, knees, and now the bones in my hands. Yep, if I knew I was gonna hang around this long(58) I would've taken better care of myself  :biglaugh:
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 01:46:00 PM »
My advice to you is to Start Drinking Heavily. Won't help your Big A or your other Big A but you'll feel better for a while and then not. LOL

50? Damn , you are getting old, I won't be 50  till Sept 13th.
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline beemann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 01:51:00 PM »
Getting old aint for wimps but it sure beats the alternative.  ha ha My seventy pound bows bows feel like ninety.

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 01:57:00 PM »
I was nearly crippled for a couple of years while my (at that time) rheumatologist allowed the arthritis to progress - and was very happy to do so. Finally I took charge and got a new doc. Now I take an injection of Humira once every two weeks and am pain free. Mostly back to normal except the damage that was done while I saw the 1st doc is irrepairable.

There are a lot of new meds out there which can help the pain/swelling and possibly stop the progression of arthritis. Osteo is different than rheumatoid & I wouldn't pretend to know what all your options are

My word of advice is don't be satisfied with a timid  doctor that will allow you to grow ever more miserable without offering you all options. For an active outdoorsman, arthritis can not only limit you physically but erode you mentally. There is hope my brother - get you a double scoop and a good doctor. May October find you back in high cotton!
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 02:20:00 PM »
joebuckI am 54 and have Osteo A. I also have to take spinal epidurals for my back degenration. I have found that shootin light 50 lbs. or so bows actually helps my OA in my upper body as long as I don't shoot long sessions. That and moderate stretching and general exercize. If I get inactive I get stiff as a 6x6 piece of hickory. Getting old ain't for sissies huh? Do you know what kind of A you have? Hang in there joebuck and keep on fightin!
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 02:43:00 PM »
I'm 58 and have had arthritis in my hands for the last 5 or 6 years.. Big knuckles and the first knuckle of my first two fingers on my string hand.. Sometimes my release is NOT textbook!!!

For some reason my system doesn't tolerate meds well.. May be a blessing.

Good luck!

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 02:52:00 PM »
I had severe arthritis symtoms in my early 30s that was a result of a strep infection not being cleared up fully and getting into my bloodstream. 6 months of penicillin cleared up that and all arthritic symptoms went away thankfully. It took 3-4 different doctors to find the cause, not just treat the symptoms.

Offline sunny hill archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 02:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by Don Batten:
My advice to you is to Start Drinking Heavily. Won't help your Big A or your other Big A but you'll feel better for a while and then not. LOL

50? Damn , you are getting old, I won't be 50  till Sept 13th.
X2

Platform shoes so your knuckles don't drag the ground might help some too....   :goldtooth:

Seriously. Smaller grip maybe??? Just guessing.
The old order is passing. Swiftly receding into memory are the days of strong, earnest men who followed an atavistic yearning to pit their skills against wild animals.

Billy Ellis

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 08:14:00 PM »
I've had it in the knees and shoulders for 4 years now according to the VA. Other than occasional pain in the left shoulder (an old sky diving injury), I found that keeping your parts moving is the best way to have long term relief. Pain was so bad in my knees for 2 years I was actually thinking about becoming one of the Electric cart folks at Walmart. Couldn't believe I was even considering it. Did the extreme, got P90X DVD and forced myself to work through the pain and move. Haven't had any knee pain now for almost 3 years.
Have no idea if this would work on knuckles, seems they get plenty of movement and workout from daily use. This did work for me on large joints, and meds did nothing, just thought I'd throw it out there.

Offline TroutGuide

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 11:33:00 PM »
Try rubbing with caster oil every night before bed. Cover your hands with cotton gloves to keep it on and avoid mess. No guarantees but I have seen it work for several people. Seems to work on any bad joint. After it starts working just use occasionally after hard use or when pain returns. What can it hurt to try?
Brian Harris
"I rarely ever give a definate answer about hunting or fishing."  Me

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 11:41:00 PM »
I'm 58 and have had it for years in my hands,I have good days and bad all I can tell you is live with it and stay active.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2012, 11:55:00 PM »
Let me know if you find the magic bullet.  I am 30 and have it in my hands, back and knees.  My hands seem to hurt the most when driving.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline RonD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 01:01:00 AM »
At 69 years of age and severe cervical spinal canal stenosis I find that a continuous regimen of daily exercise helps tremendously. Arthritis medications have to be taken with caution as they can have secondary effects that complicate the disease. At the present time I am shooting 44#@25" even though it is painful, but pain is a matter of mind over matter part of the time. The day may not be far off when I will have to drop in poundage to around 37# or 38#, but that isn't going to stop me from shooting my bow. As many have said in previous posts you have to keep putting one foot in front of the other and continue with life.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2012, 08:03:00 AM »
I think I can feel the beginnings of it in my hands, knees, and elbows. I try and keep moving, that helps.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 08:33:00 AM »
I think you should look into 99% DMSO. I have it in my fingers a bit from years of very heavy lifting and this does the trick. You can get it at some natural health food stores and it lasts forever.

http://www.yournaturalremedy.com/DMSO.html

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2012, 08:34:00 AM »
I remember and older gentleman telling me when I was Young and dumb " if I knew I was going to last this long I would taken better care of myself" at the age of 47 I now know what he was talking about. Like Doc Dow told me use it or lose it.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©