3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: help my friend pick a bow  (Read 425 times)

Offline stickbow24

• Trad Bowhunter
help my friend pick a bow
« on: August 06, 2007, 09:00:00 PM »
Hello,

My friend wants to start up the sport, unfortunately for him I am his best source of knowlege.

He is a big guy and about 6' tall.  
Shoots 31" with a release on his compound

what would be a good estimate of his draw length and how long of a bow would work well.

he just shot a short short bow labeled 50# at 28 inches and at his draw lenght he said it didnt feel comfortable at all.

Any and all input would be appreciated

Offline Golden Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: help my friend pick a bow
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 09:09:00 PM »
He sounds like he'll need bout a 60" or 62" bow around 45@28. I'm guessing he'll have about a 29" draw.
LeRoy

Charter member of TBJA (Trad Bow Junkies of America)

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 10:35:00 PM »
Stickbow,
I am sure someone will chime in with more experience than me, but even at a 27 in draw I like a 62in bow. According to Byron Fergeson's book, your friend should likely go with a 66in bow. I would agree with Golden Hawk about 45lb bow to start.  A three piece takedown might be good because he can buy heavier limbs(if the bowyer makes standard risers and limbs) as he gets used to the draw weight. Also, I will pass on the advice I was given and say shoot as many bows as possible before buying one.  Then get the one that feels "right".
Just My Opinion,
Charlie(buckeye_huter)

Offline pine nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 10:36:00 PM »
Ditto what Golden Hawk said sounds good to me.  Most folks comming off of compounds usually over bow themselves.  I wouldn't go shorter than 62" and bet he'd like a 64" better.

_________
Bill

Offline brackshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 11:06:00 PM »
Believe it or not, my draw length with a compound and a recurve is the same, probably because i shoot my recurve with a high wrist.  I would try to find out his draw length before buying, and stick with at least a 62" bow if he is 29" or longer.

brack

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 11:08:00 PM »
Have him try as many as possible. Bow length can be deceiving sometimes. I have a 30" draw and I have had bows as short as 52" draw well for me and others up to 64" that didn't. Design has a lot more to do with it than length.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 11:25:00 AM »
I agree with David.  The design of the bow determines a lot about whether it is smooth (no stack) and stable at longer draw lengths, but bottom line the string angle will be more severe at the fingers with a shorter bow.  I had a 31" draw with compounds and draw longbows 29".  For me 64" seems to be the length I like best in most bows.  I have a 62" bow that feels (to me) like a longer bow, but most of mine are 64" or longer.  He needs to shoot some bows and see what feels good and what he shoots the best.  And there are "short" bows out there that he may like and shoot well.

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 07:50:00 PM »
If possible ALWAYS shoot as many bows as you can. Vman knows of what he speaks.<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©