3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bob Swinehart pic  (Read 828 times)

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bob Swinehart pic
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2012, 06:26:00 PM »
I had the chance to shoot the Turay "Swinehart Special" tody and what a damn fine bow! I have had zero success and enjoyment shooting Hill style bows in the past and this bow and another one of Chuck's new models were fantastic shooters. I may have to move to the dark side and get me a Hill style bow(or two)!  :D
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline kestimator

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2012, 11:09:00 PM »
I just got around to reading this thread...and..please forgive...but all I can come up with to say is....WOW!!!!!
Have a nice day!
Kevin

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2013, 11:15:00 AM »
TTT!
Shawn

Offline deaddoc4444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2013, 11:31:00 AM »
COOL!  Swinehart was from Montgomery County PA , Where I live > It took me YEARS to finally get a copy of Sagittarius,  After reading it years before from a borrowed  copy .   MY sons   were   good enough to track down a  really good copy  and give it to me for Christmas the year before last .  LOVE it!  THANX  again to my kids for their love and their gift !  Great read !  He was a hell of a guy who went through hell at the end .   TREMENDOUS  hunter and archer.
HH Big 5 71# @29
Damon Howatt/Hunter 50@28
Damon Howatt/Ventura 45@28
Damon Howatt/Bushmaster 60@28
Leon Stewart/Slammer 52@28
BIG EAST  45@28
Fedora Xtreme/Hybrid 50@28
   "Leiber Hammer als Amboss"

Online DGW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2013, 11:54:00 AM »

Online DGW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2013, 12:05:00 PM »
I have In Africa great pics. Seems Bob was fearless and  a great shot .

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2013, 12:21:00 PM »
Here are a few more I have on file.

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2013, 12:47:00 PM »
IF you are unable to find a copy of his books, there is a program in most public libraries(if you are a member)where you can request a book and they will do a search for you, if they locate a book you want, they will arrange an "inter library transfer". I have read both his books using that method. One was from a library in south Florida and the other from Virginia. Just a thought....
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2013, 01:03:00 PM »
Here's the cover shot Nate was talking about.
Bob was the real deal for sure! I think he was all about the adrenaline rush and adventure of hunting dangerous game in Africa.Howard said in his forward for Bob's other book,"Sagittarius", that Bob took too many risks when hunting them and thought he might end up getting killed. Too bad Bob had to check out the way he did.
He said in "Saggittarius" that he loved to film and paint the North American Kings of the mountains,like elk,grizz and sheep,but didn't have a keen desire to kill any of them.

Offline MikeNova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2013, 02:58:00 PM »
That Swinehart special looks like a awesome bow. I know Owen Jeffery told me he made Swinehart a bow once. which other recurves did he shoot? I see he used a Pinto and a Bushmaster.

Offline NormanDale33

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2013, 03:38:00 PM »
Cool thread. I had never heard of Bob Swinehart before but remember seeing the buffalo picture. Sounds like he was an amazing hunter. So many amazing hunters died so young, Schafer, Scheyler, Swinehart. Did he die hunting as well? Sorry don't mean to hijack just fascinated by the history.

BTW, I found a copy of In Africa for sale on A##### for a cool $500. Might be worth it sounds like.  :)
Show me your ways, LORD,teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me,for you are God my Savior,and my hope is in you all day long.

Psalms 25:4-5

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2013, 04:32:00 PM »
I have a first edition copy of In Africa that I acquired from a bud. Great pics. and Bob no doubt was a risk taker. He also loved pretzels and a can of them can be seen in most pics. that were taken around his hunting camps. They said he ate over 100#s of them in a year. Shawn
Shawn

Offline donw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2013, 04:34:00 PM »
i have a howatt bushmaster and it looks nothing like any of the bows shown. it's a really good shooter.
i was told by a sales person, when purchasing an out-of-date newpaper that it was out-of-date...

i told her "i've been told i'm out-of-date, too"...

does that mean i'm up-to-date?

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2013, 06:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by NormanDale33:
Swinehart. Did he die hunting as well? Sorry don't mean to hijack just fascinated by the history.

Suicide,after the death of his father,murder of his brother and his wife wanting a divorce all in the span of a few months

Offline Tom Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
    • BISON GEAR PACKS
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2013, 08:24:00 PM »
The good die young,Swinehart was quite the hunter and shot as we all know.He took his own life with his .243 rifle,he was interegated big time and was one of the prime suspects in cops eyes when his brothers frozen,dead corpse was found in his own car.Bob was what they called a CRACKER in the war,one of the guys who had the job of thawing and cracking dead soldiers might have made Bob have flash backs when he saw his brother dead in frozen state  !!  What a shame.
  Sagittarius with Dust jacket & "In Africa" are 2 of the Coolest Archery/Bowhunting books ever !!
BISON GEAR PACKS
https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=bison%20gear%20packs

TGMM Family of the Bow * PBS * P&Y
 * Massachusetts Bowhunters * NRA
 * Compton Traditional Bowhunters *
 * N.A.H.C. * N.Y.Bowhunters *
  * N.J.Bowhunters *

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2013, 09:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by Tom Phillips:

Sagittarius with Dust jacket & "In Africa" are 2 of the Coolest Archery/Bowhunting books ever !!
I agree with that  :thumbsup:  

Offline Mike Mongelli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2013, 09:23:00 PM »
Awesome pics Tim!  I'm really looking forward to reading his books.  One of these days I'll catch them when the timing is right.

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2015, 04:26:00 PM »

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2015, 06:05:00 PM »
Someone is trying to sell a copy of Sagittarius and In Africa on **** for $495 each.  Priced a little high in my opinion!
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2015, 07:24:00 PM »
Oops...
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©