3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: go or no go shooting  (Read 410 times)

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
go or no go shooting
« on: August 07, 2012, 12:20:00 PM »
Guys, here is a quick question and story.  
Last week we were at a tournament.  There was a new-to-trad guy in the group asking alot of questions.  Now, also in the group was a fellar that has been shooting a stick for about 2 years and killed a deer or 2 with one last year.  The newb asked about how many deer we have killed with a stick.  The 2 year vet said 2 deer and I said several.  John, the newb, asked "well how many is several?", to which I replied that I didn't count, but I have been shooting trad for 12+ years and killed 3-4 in AR every year and 1 or 2 out of state.

He asked about shooting distance for deer.  I told him it just had to be right.  I see every shot as a go, a no-go, or a wait a minute and see what happens.  I dont have a set distance.  When I made that comment, the 2 year vet said,"Yeah, but he will only take gimme shots.  he won't shoot anything that is not a sure deal".  

Now this was meant to be sas mouthed comment, but it is true.  I agreed.  I have killed deer at 2 or 3 steps and I have killed them at 35.  Granted, my usual shot is only about 12 to 15 yards, but if it all feels right, then I take it.

Now I am not looking for a "More ethical than thou" argument.  I am simply looking for 2 things.  Do most of you have a set distance for a shot or do you have a go or no-go mindstate, like myself.  The next question is, do you think that the need to streach the distance on a shot is coming from the compound 50+ yard shot videos and hunting stories or basic lack of hunting skills to get close.

The 2 year vet has a lack of skills to get close.  I know his issue.  If he can see a deer at 50 or 60 yards, he will shoot at it.  That is a bad call with any bow in my book.  He also is a hunting video nut, which is where I think he gets the idea to streach the limits.

By the way, I beat his tail in the tourny...   :saywhat:  

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Re: go or no go shooting
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 12:33:00 PM »
I will usually not shoot at a critter past about 16-17yds. That being said, if everything feels just right and I am right in my mindset, then i will take one a bit farther. I guess I would be in the go or no-go group. I do not have a set distance. If I do not feel 100% that I can make the shot, then I wait.

I have passed shots at 10yds because something did not feel right and taken a few 20+yd shots because everything did feel just right.

Bisch

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 12:36:00 PM »
Most of my shots are under 20 yards but like you I really don't have a set distance. If the shot feels right I will take it whether that is 5 or 35 yards. I think that the super light fast arrow idea is somewhat responsible for people wanting to take those longer shots but what they don't realize is that most animals and humans can move completely out of the way of an arrow from 20 yards much less 50.
James Kerr

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 12:38:00 PM »
Sounds to me like you have it figured out ....Getting close, being comfortable with the shot and deciding go or no go is all part of this sport we love!   :thumbsup:    :notworthy:    It's s shame more new folks sometime can't hook up with a veteran Trad hunter to mentor them instead of watching some video that may lead them down the wrong path!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 12:50:00 PM »
Ron, I can't mentor this guy...  He has it all figured out and will tell you in a heartbeat.  Its like talking to a tree.

I don't have it all figured out.  The deer I kill must just be some dumb ones that need culled from the herd.  I have had tons of good bucks walk almost within a "go" situation, then turn and walk away for seemingly no reason at all.  I still feel blessed to have caught a glimpse of them.

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 01:02:00 PM »
Limiting yourself to slam dunk shots takes maturity and discipline.  Hopefully, 2 year will grow to that point soon; it took me a few lost deer to get there.  I'm also in the go/no go mode now.  When I hunt, I'm there to shoot something, but at the same time, I'm under no real pressure to do so.  Mostly it either feels good or it doesn't.  If I thought about it, my max would be about 18 yds, but my distance calc at the moment is either close enuf or too far.  The only distances I actually know are one deer and a bear cause I paced them after the shots; 7 and 5 steps.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 02:08:00 PM »
Nathan, you have killed a deer, you know your ideal or comfort range, That tells me you have a pretty good Idea of what your doing. As far as mentoring him, you can only do or say so much. Good luck this year and have fun!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 02:14:00 PM »
I only have 3 deer to my credit with trad gear.  The closest was maybe 7 yards and the futherest was around 32 yards.  The common denomenator was the shot felt right.  I never once thought of the range.

I've passed up shots at 20 yards and under because it didn't feel right.  I go with that feeling of go or no go.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 02:36:00 PM »
I'm in the go, no go camp myself. I don't know how far it is until after the shot but I do know when it's too far. It's either feels right to me or it doesn't.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 03:44:00 PM »
Same.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 03:57:00 PM »
I never took a deer with a bow yet . But have taken lots of other creders. I won't shoot unles I know I can for sure kill it. No set yardage. As far as gimme shots thats realy the only one you should take. With any weapon. Some gimme shots are longer than others.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Randy Koleno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 04:02:00 PM »
My brothers used to accuse me of trying to find a reason not to shoot. I agreed with them.

When I'm deciding to shoot, or not shoot, I go by feel, not a defined distance.

Offline Adam S. Daugherty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 04:42:00 PM »
I do not have any set distances.  I am in the go no go situation.  There are so many variables that constitute a go no go sistuatuion and a go situation one day may be a no go situation the next day.  A definate no go always is anything within 2 yards of base of tree when hunting from a stand.  That shot is just too tough.  When the 2 year vet matures a little and spends some more time with his bow he will more understand what go and no go means and how it can all change from time to time.  5 to 15 yards if opening is present is almost always a go for me at somepoint during the hunt.  May have to wait for the correct opportunity but at those ranges I cannot think of many times when I was wanting to loose an arrow that I didn't.  That 20 to 30 yard stuff sometimes I have wanted to loose an arrow but things just didnt feel right or the animal wouldnt cooperate.  Back when I was a 2 year vet I shot a turkey at 63 yards because it just all felt right when I raised up my bow.  Now I am more capable of making that shot than I was then but in no way would I take it again even if it felt more right than it did that day.

I use a real fancy range finder these days.  You have to know some special folks to even place an order.  They come and implant them in your eye and they don't take batteries.  During the hunt when you are preparing for the shot its signals your brain and it makes this silent beep in your head.  It just has two beeps and the sequence usually goes, too far...too far.....too far.....fixen to b killed.....fixen 2 be killed........fixen to be killed........  Thump!

Offline beauleyse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 04:47:00 PM »
I shoot every day my targets range from 15 yards to 45 yards. I feel confident with my shots out to that distance. That being said, I let 3 does walk at 20 yards this past season because as you stated it just didn't feel right...

I shoot pure instinctive I focus on the spot, draw, continue to focus for 2-3 seconds and release... If that deer is feeding constantly moving or twitch while I"m hold that bow back focusing and it pulls my attention off my spot I'll let down.

I feel it comes down to proper stand placement and sitting still so the animal comes to that chip shot range. Those shots that as soon as that deer stops and the string comes back you know, the trail will be bright and short.
There is more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow and arrow, than hunting with the sureness of the gun. -Fred Bear

Offline pickaspot55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 04:51:00 PM »
I would be in the go/no go. Everything has to be right for me to take a deer long distance. Some people just think thy can make long distance and if they hit them thu can go home feeling like they kills a deer at 50 yards when all they did was wound it. My comfort shot is 18 yards

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2012, 05:00:00 PM »
Thanks guys for talking about this, I don't know any trad hunters, just compound guys. This Fall is my first season bowhunting.  I had already decided 20 yds was my limit, and to get really close (hopefully 10 - 15).  But I like the idea of "does it feel right?"  That's good.
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2012, 06:03:00 PM »
with any animal....i dont think about it but if I do would say my limit is 18-20 yards....though I wish they were all at 2 yards.  If I am doing really well out to 25-30yds in practice then might be more willing to take a 20+ yd shot depending on animal, conditions, etc.

I really dont think about it...I just know when it is close enough for me and then do it....  I spent too much time in my early trad hunting journey looking for the PERFECT shot and passed on many deer and bear that now would be a no brainer.  Call it experience....fear of failure....whatever...but it was a learning curve for me and I assume everyone...just some start as young kids and I started as adult.

if pressed I would say 15yds or less is my no brainer distance...
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2012, 06:39:00 PM »
Honestly, I don't have a clue until AFTER the shot how far it was. When an animal comes in, either the switch flips or it doesn't.

I passed on a monster caribou, twice as big as the one I killed, because it felt too far. I have never regretted it, ever.

Every bad shot I ever made felt wrong...
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2012, 07:35:00 PM »
I'm a go - or no go. Four years ago I had the biggest buck I had ever seen in my life in the woods and he got within 10 yards or less.

Only possible shot I had was a marginal quartering away shot with only the last few ribs exposed from behind a tree. The rest of the vitals where covered by a huge poplar between me and him. He stood around long enough for me calm down which seemed like an eternity until a couple coons spooked him and he just turned and left.

Was the range right? Heck ya! was the shot a go? not any day of the week for me. Still makes me all warm inside to be able to say it was good enough to be there.

I never knew what guys meant until that moment. Could I have taken him with a gun? I never would have let him get that close, LOL. What about wheelie bow? Same answer, he never would have made it closer than 30yds.

At that moment in time I think I really matured as a hunter and walked back to the truck head held high because I was strong willed enough to say NO GO.

Now if he would have stepped out from behind that tree I may very well not be the hunter I am today. I ain't gonna lie it sure was rough to see that old buck fall to a gun the following year a half mile down the road. Wish that ol' feller that took him would of decided no go LOL
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2012, 07:44:00 PM »
I have passed game that I thought was too far ie not right. later paced it off at mere yards.  My distance judging skills are terrible but with a go no go shot I shoot better than trying to figure distance.

I think you should explain to the new guy that he should do what works for him. Questions are fine and dandy but what works for me doesn't necessarily work for the next guy. Explain to him not to take advice as gospel, just as a way to experiment.  Hopefully he will have fun with teh journey.  

as far as the other guy.... I guess its good for him that he knows everything.  I feel bad for him though because it must be boring!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©