3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: go or no go shooting  (Read 409 times)

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: go or no go shooting
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2012, 08:26:00 PM »
For me I typically will not get a shot in the timber over 20 yards.  But at same time I have let animals pass under 15 yards.  Like all of us I believe we develop a sense of "Go or NoGo" shots.  I think this comes with experiance and the sad truth of loosing a few animals, which is part of it.  I have shot a deer at 35 yards, but something in me said take the shot and I got here, and when I finally noticed the distance I was actually shocked.  We all have had the "they are as good as in the freezer, or on the wall" thought, only to find out we missed.  I would rather have total confidence of harvesting the animal, than have that 50/50 of loosing one.  Just my opinion.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2012, 08:29:00 PM »
That guy one of duty experts on here by chance?   The thing about our sport is there are ways to accomodate all, even the know it alls.  YOU know what YOU can do, and live it.  I say congrats and look forward, not back at the also ran
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2012, 08:56:00 PM »
Endeavor to maintain your own confidence and hold steadfast to your own personal ethics.
When it comes down to the moment, the situation only involves you and your quarry. As you have ascertained that the situations is right, then execute the shot as in the past.
Test and stretch your skills on the range. Expanding and improving you skills on the range by ten yards may possibly merely equate to a few yards extension in the field. Knowing, recognizing and acknowledging the ever changing effective hunting range remains key.
Our quarry deserves premium consideration each time we elect to take a shot.

Animated talk will always go on and there are those very few that can consistently connect at longer ranges.  Know and hold true to yourself.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2012, 09:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by toddster:
 We all have had the "they are as good as in the freezer, or on the wall" thought, only to find out we missed.
THATS where I screw up! I've found myself thinking the same thing before I've even loosed the arrow. Its most likely a miss.
I've calmed down a LOT in the last 4 years of hunting with a stick and string. I'm definately in the go/no go camp. But I've also learned that even the slam dunk shots can be screwed up if your form goes to pot when shooting at game. It only took 2 Rod Jenkins clinics for me to get it through my thick skull that if your form is perfect, the arrow is going where you want it to go. Rod has a Tips and tricks section on his website and one of the things he points out is that we should be running our shots on game, exactly the way we would on the blank bale.

Sorry for the derail.
Back Tension BEFORE Back Strap !

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2012, 01:01:00 AM »
If I have a clear shot, undisturbed deer...I'll shoot 40 yds. I practice daily out to 40 yds. If the shot just doesn't feel right, maybe because of the animals behavior, don't care what distance, I won't shoot.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2012, 12:48:00 PM »
Looks like most folks are in the same park as I am, go or no-go.  I never even try to guess yardage until after the shot.  When I feel its a go, i won't focus on anything except the hair I want to hit.  Then you get that lovely sound
ffffffff  pfft...  

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2012, 01:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by ron w:
It's s shame more new folks sometime can't hook up with a veteran Trad hunter to mentor them instead of watching some video that may lead them down the wrong path!
RON,,,,If you were closer to Oklahoma I would take you up on that!!!!    ;)    

As it is....I'm trying to figure it all out on my own!!!    :confused:
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2012, 04:16:00 PM »
I'm in the go/no go camp as well.  Have killed several, had 3 does go by me and didn't shoot last year, had a fourth go by at a further distance and killed her with a heart shot.  Didn't feel right on the first ones, did on the last one.  

Skitch, there are several seasoned trad guys here in Oklahoma, any of us would be willing to help.  Where are you located?
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Offline Tradcat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2012, 07:38:00 PM »
The Wensel brothers summed it up the best for me... "archery is seeing how far away you can get from your target and still hit it BUT bow hunting is seeing how close you can get to the animal and not miss" ! amen

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2012, 08:47:00 PM »
I'm in the go/no-go camp, but would guess that most of my shots are under 20 yards for sure.  And yes, my shots are all as close to sure things as you can get.  That's kind of the idea isn't it???    :confused:    "[dntthnk]"
Silence is golden.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2012, 09:55:00 PM »
go or no go, but mostly, the go efforts seem to be around 15 to 18 yards.
Sam

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2012, 09:01:00 AM »
I think the better hunter we get to be, the closer the shots tend to get.  

Most of the time, the deer I see are in the 'go' range.  The is the result of trial and error, scouting and a lot of thought during stand placement.  I might move a stand in one area 2 or 3 times before I get it perfectly dialed in.  If you set up the situation to be in your favor, most of the time, it will be.

This don't come overnight.

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©