3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Plastic Vanes???  (Read 240 times)

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
Plastic Vanes???
« on: August 07, 2012, 04:52:00 PM »
Having done an extensive search and read through 40 some different threads on this topic I'm curious enough that I want to experiment a bit with plastic vanes, and I've narrowed things down to a few basic questions.
1) It seems that there is somewhat of a concensus that Duravanes would be a good place to start??? 4"?????
2) Either off-set or helical seems like they should work fine?
3) Where can a person buy the Duravanes? Three Rivers informed me they sell only feathers now.
If anyone with first hand experience thinks I'm missing something feel free to enlighten me.
Thanks.
Kevin

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Plastic Vanes???
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 05:21:00 PM »
Kevin, try Bowhunters supply in PA. I would not fletch them helical. Offset is ok but remember the higher ther vane profile the more chance it might hit something. I would also look into a raised arrow rest like a Bear Weather rest or my favorite the brush rest. Some archers raise their nock point real high and get good clearance but not me. I have shot the Blazer vanes from my Bear TD with a brush rest with no problems. I didnot like the Dura vanes I tried some years back. They were supposed to not need an elevated rest. Vanes are cheaper than feathers so you can experiment without a big cash outlay.

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 05:36:00 PM »
Thanks for the input, M60.
Kevin

Offline anw0625

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 06:33:00 PM »
Hey Kevin not trying to hijack you thread but what about the Bi-Delta Rain Vane?
Stalker Coyote LongBow
Habu DeathAdder
German Kinetics "German Made"
Black Eagle Rampage

Offline Jim Boettcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 07:31:00 PM »
I get my Duravanes from Gander Mountain. Shoot em' off a Bear Weather rest, no problems.

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by anw0625:
Hey Kevin not trying to hijack you thread but what about the Bi-Delta Rain Vane?
I don't really know anything about the Rain Vanes, or about any of the vanes for that matter. My thinking the Duravanes were the way to go is based on threads I read on this site. Maybe someone will tell me differently???
Kevin

Offline motorhead7963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 10:55:00 PM »
Well I just checked what I have in my own stock I shoot Duravanes 4" helical off the shelf out of two bows so far with real good results. I have been messing around with them for a year or two. I started out with vanetec's but they are waay! too stiff, I found the duravanes have a softer spine and I shoot them cock vane out, that way only one vane has the potential to hit the rest. The two bows I shoot them out of are: grayling Grizzly@60#s and a Martin Savannah@60#s both launch very well out of my bows and they fly true all the way to the target. Talk about quiet?? you can't do any better. When I first started to experiment I was shooting them out of a Super K @ 65#s and I didnt have enough point weight so they corkscrewed all the way to the target, not good!!! I have since solved the problem If I can swing the trip this year to Colorado for third season, I will bring my bow again and they will be fletched with my duravanes in the snow.

Offline moththerlode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 12:34:00 AM »
I would look at Flex Fleth if I was even thinking about vanes (which Im not)..they are more flexible and more forgiving.
God,Country and Family ..Semper Fi

Valley Springs Ca.

Online toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 02:54:00 AM »
Good luck, I tried just about all of them from the shelf and could not get them to fly as good as feathers, even jacking nock point way high.  I really believe only way to do it is with elevated rest.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 09:45:00 AM »
I used to shoot the rain vanes off my recurve and they worked just fine off the shelf.  Then I tried off my ACS and nearly sliced my hand apart.  A glove on your bowhand is a good idea the first time around.  They really need to be lined up just right in relation to the nock to work.

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 12:24:00 PM »
I have had success shooting 2" Blazer vanes off the shelf. Although I will never prefer them to feathers, they are a good choice in wet weather if you can get them to shoot for you, and they do fly a bit faster. I fletch the Blazers  3 vanes/straight. I think it works because they are so short--archer's paradox kicks the arrow away from the bow before they touch it. PS often cock-feather in works better than out.

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 04:14:00 PM »
I really appreciate all the thoughtful input from everyone. I shoot feathers off the shelf, and have done so for 25 or more years. So, why am I considering playing around with plastic??? Sometimes I just like to experiment.
From what I am reading it seems to me that using vanes is a YMMV type endeavor.
Keep the ideas coming, and again, thanks to all.
Kevin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©