3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: #4 worth it?  (Read 373 times)

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
#4 worth it?
« on: August 07, 2012, 08:44:00 PM »
I'm a deer hunter who will hopefully get a couple chances at larger game in the future.  My go to bow is #51 and I just had another of the same make and model at #55 follow me home. (Thats what I told the wife).  So does the #55 offer enough advantages over the #51 on larger game to justify keeping it in the stable?

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: #4 worth it?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 08:56:00 PM »
I was fine until I saw the word "justify".
That word just doesn't have room on the rack. There are too many bows.

Killdeer   :nono:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 08:57:00 PM »
If you can shoot it comfortably i would keep it.  (Get a bigger rack)...  :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 09:02:00 PM »
:dunno:

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 09:06:00 PM »
If you can shoot it just as accurately as the #51 than I say use it. I shoot a range of bows from 50-65 pounds but find I am most consistant and accurate with a bow that is #55 so that is what I shoot.
James Kerr

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 09:12:00 PM »
I don't understand....do you want a back up bow?....if so keep it. Can I justify a bow rack with 6 pegs and 4 bows on each peg......yep! Does a golfer use one club!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 09:15:00 PM »
I can't shoot it comfortably yet, but I've also got no immediate plans for hunting big game.  I can get about a dozen good shots before the weight gets to me.  "Justify" might not have been the best word Kildeer.  I love the #46 and #51 of the same make/model, just trying to figure out if #55 has advantages over #51.

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 09:29:00 PM »
Devote yourself to that bow for a month of regular shooting - it'll feel like your lighter one by the end. 4 lbs increase isn't too bad if you don't have any injuries or ailments getting in the way.
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 09:33:00 PM »
I'd say about the same advantage the #51 has over the #46...that didnt help did it..  :D  

Eric

Offline AWPForester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »
Sure it has advantages if you are not injuried.   Do as Roscoe said.  In no time you be walking in the park.  God Bless
Psalm 25:3 Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: Let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 09:39:00 PM »
If you can get to where you can shoot it well than by all means use it. As Howard Hill said "shoot the heaviest bow you can control."
James Kerr

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 04:23:00 PM »
Maybe a better way to ask...Is there anything I can hunt with #55 that I couldn't just as easily kill with #51?

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 04:37:00 PM »
I'm pretty new but would ask ...how often do you shoot?  I started on a 50# bow...had some shoulder pain that was due mostly to my form.  Started shooting a 45# bow and once I figured out how to NOT put the pressure on my shoulder...went right back to shooting the 50# and like it better.  After shooting every night for a month or more I realized how much stronger I had gotten and now really want to move up to around 60#.  I had the opportunity to try out a couple 57# bows and was really surprised how manageable they were and I wasn't even really phased by the extra weight!!!  I guess what I'm trying to say is...if you shoot all the time and still find the heavier bow to be a problem maybe sticking to the lighter bow would be best.  BUT, if you don't shoot very often, maybe just getting out and shooting more will make that heavier bow much more manageable.  Just my 2 cents from recent experience.  That and $4.50 will get you a 20 oz. cup of coffee these days!!   :)
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, 05:04:00 PM »
I usually shoot about 6 days of week, probably 20-100 hours depending on how much time I have available.  I can shoot the #55, it's just not as comfortable.

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 05:59:00 PM »
My short answer is no.
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2012, 06:06:00 PM »
"Maybe a better way to ask...Is there anything I can hunt with #55 that I couldn't just as easily kill with #51?"

Well Brad, this is a very open question. I know hunters who have taken bison and moose with a 46# bow. I also know professional guides, who would not take a hunter after bison with less than a 75 pound bow.

If you shoot a big animal with a lighter bow and dont hit any bone or tendon, hair clumps, tightly flexed muscles, etc....an arrow can zip right through.

But that does not always happen. You might be the best shot in the world, but after your perfect release, the animal does a weird move and you just got a "less than perfect" shot.

This is why good hunters shoot as heavy as they can. Anything can happen at any time while hunting.
If you can build yourself up to shoot 55# accurately, you should. If you just cant, shoot that magic weight that gives you the best accuracy at the most weight. Be it 100 lbs or 40 pounds.( As long as its legal!)
David M. Conroy

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2012, 08:04:00 PM »
NO NO....If it isn't comforable,pratice with 55# and hunt your 51#. Draw length will determine more than poundage your shooting...

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2012, 10:55:00 PM »
I think that anyone should shoot the most draw weight that they can shoot accurately. If you can shoot the 51#'er with no issues than, by all means, keep it in the stable.

Bisch

Offline UrbanDeerSlayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2012, 09:55:00 AM »
Originally posted by Biathlonman:
I usually shoot about 6 days of week, probably 20-100 hours depending on how much time I have available.  I can shoot the #55, it's just not as comfortable.
THat's alot of shooting! When do you work??LOL!  Anyway, I shoot 50# bows, and tried a few bows in the upper 50's (56 - 58#) without any issues.  I'm having one made in that range now. I anticipate an increase in KE from around 36 (50# bow) to 42 (heavier bow).  I know you can kill a deer with a light bow, but IMO if you can handle the heavier bow, a little extra KE goes along way if the shot is not pristine. I would like to build my way up to shoot in the 60's or heavier.
Shoot Straight, Feel Great!

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2012, 10:21:00 AM »
YES every pound of bow weight helps, especially when bone is hit things happen.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©