3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Enthusiasm dampened!  (Read 354 times)

Offline Scott357

• Trad Bowhunter
Enthusiasm dampened!
« on: August 07, 2012, 10:19:00 PM »
I was shooting broadheads tonight right before dark. Last shot went right over the back of my deer and just left of my hay bales and out into the brush behind my house. Nothing like a lost arrow and broadhead to dampen my enthusiasm. I will look for it tommorow but that stuff is so thick back there I dont hold out much hope of finding it. I might take a few days off from shooting.

Scott.

Offline Eric Sprick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Enthusiasm dampened!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 10:24:00 PM »
As far as the lost arrow goes-if I had all the arrows I've lost or broke I could probably make a couple of mortgage payments!

If you're in a "funk" with your shooting I've found that if I take a break for a day or so I come back better. Too much shooting when frustrated can lead to some bad habits.

It'll get there, Eric

ps good luck findin' that arrow.

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 10:27:00 PM »
It happens, some days are just bad days with shooting. I have taken much larger breaks than a few days.

Offline iohkus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 10:42:00 PM »
You never know..........I thought I had lost one today in thick grass, was about to give up when my heel caught the nock and lifted it right up.  Good luck finding it.
Hmmmmm. I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm
not sure that what you heard is what I actually meant!

Offline Scott357

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 11:04:00 PM »
This is the first lost arrow since I started shooting recurves again back in December! There is about 10 feet of thick brush and then a huge corn field behind my target so chances are pretty slim that I will recover it!
It will probably join the other dozen or so arrows that are back there from my wheelie bow days.
Scott.

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 11:14:00 PM »
You may check the corn field as well. I have shoot through stuff at 3d shoots and my arrow about 50 yards or so inthe corn or bean field. You would be surprised at how far they can travel through that stuff even though it is thick.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 02:56:00 AM »
I sure hope the farmer who works that corn field doesn't find that broadhead in his tractor tire    :scared:
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 03:00:00 AM »
Man you give up way to easily,we all miss good luck finding it.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 04:52:00 AM »
I lost one 6 days ago right of target down by the tracks.  Yesterday I shot another that went in the same area.  It had orange feathers, there it was and the one from 6 days ago right beside it.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 06:48:00 AM »
This thread is perfect as I was just think about all the arrows I've lost and broken over the years yesterday. I lost one in a pile of brush last year. I was cleaning that brush yesterday and hoping I might find it... But it has been claimed by the arrow gods...

Good luck! I hope you find yours.
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 08:12:00 AM »
Centuries from now archaeologists will excavate the swamp behind my backyard target and write about an archery battle of EPIC proportions.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 09:16:00 AM »
That's a good one Mike.  :biglaugh:

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 10:20:00 AM »
I have the 4H archery club shoot at my place. We lose/find arrows all the time.
Just remember to look for it where it is... that makes finding it easier.  ;)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 10:30:00 AM »
Get over it....look for it as hard as you can ,if you find it great if not..... oh well. A fella told me a long time ago," If your not breaking or losing arrows your not shooting enough"! Take your time you'll find it!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 10:51:00 AM »
Sounds like a good place for a treestand
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Dendy Cromer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2012, 10:53:00 AM »
i find arrows on the farm all the time that were lost a long time ago. most are uncovered when we burn. They are all mine, since im the only bowhunter in the family. I always recognize the arrow, by the tip or the size , or faded camo pattern on the aluminum. It brings back memories of when and at what it was released. A pretty neat look into my bowhunting past, really. My latest find was a XX75 autumn orange 2114- feathers gone, but with a recognizeable WASP cam-loc 3-blade still intact- clearly from my high school days. I never pick them up, I leave them to find again one day. Losing arrows is all part of it, and finding arrows later is sometimes better than finding them now.
Southern Zone Rep./Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia

Prov: 3, 5-6

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2012, 11:01:00 AM »
I agree its part of it.  One of the "joys" of shooting traditional is the occasional horrendous shot that glances off your target never to be seen again.  Last year I put up my deer target a couple times with no backstop on a hill because I wanted the pressure of losing the arrow to be more like hunting - a miss is painful.

Oh and finding a lost arrow is a pretty nice moment.
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline Scott357

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2012, 11:15:00 AM »
Originally posted by TRAP:
Sounds like a good place for a treestand
That area back there is thick with deer. I had permision to hunt it years ago but the farmer died and some big factory farm outfit bought it and posted in all no hunting. They recently tore down the old farmer's homestead and planted it too. It was sad to see it go. There was so much for the deer to eat back there that it made them very hard to pattern.

Scott.

Offline Scott357

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2012, 01:06:00 PM »
I found it! The arrow was about 20 yards behind my backstop and about 3 yards into the field. A perfect kill shot on a corn stalk which was exactly what I was aiming at  ;)  

Scott.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2012, 01:09:00 PM »
See that wasn't so bad........   :thumbsup:    :cool:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©