3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow Flight Issues  (Read 235 times)

Online Formby

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow Flight Issues
« on: August 08, 2012, 01:33:00 PM »
I have been given a half dozen 2117 arrows they are full length and i have been shooting 145gr points on them, but i have been getting some strange arrow flight. My arrows impact perfect but upon release i can see them fish tale just a little. So i went to some 125 points and now they impact correct, but they come out of the bow nock high. Any advice on what im doing wrong? I tried bareshafting them and i keep getting nock left. MY bow is a martin savannah 50#@28" i draw to 29" the string is a bear rug rest just the bottom part no side strike plate and my brace height is 7.25".

Offline Cato

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow Flight Issues
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 01:47:00 PM »
What length is full length?  Do not remember

Impulse is that shaft is too stiff and bouncing off of restt to give misleading nock left (assume RH shooter).

Split? Three under? One nock set or two?

In the past when i have had nock high that I could not clean up it was usually a spine mismatch.
Most religions teach that you earn salvation by keeping rules. Jesus didn't teach that "good people" go to heaven. He taught that "forgiven people" go to heaven. And He invited everyone, no matter what their past, to come to Him and be forgiven.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 01:54:00 PM »
Hmmmm.  2117s spine about 80#. You're probably drawing about 52-53# at your draw. My guess is they're a bit heavy, particularly if the bow isn't cut to center.  A heavier point yet -- 175 or 200 grains might get them to flying straight.

Switching point weight a little won't affect how the arrow comes out of the bow.  Do they come out of the bow nock high or strike nock high?  The former can be caused by a bad release or nock point that's too high or too low.

Why don't you have a strike plate on the bow?  At release, the arrow isn't supposed to touch the side of the bow.  However, a less than good release can cause it to hit the side on occasion.  Something softer than wood will be more forgiving of a bad release.  Also quieter on the draw.

Online Formby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 02:05:00 PM »
These arrows are 31.5" they come out of the bow nock high but strke the target right on

Online Formby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 02:18:00 PM »
And its one tied on nock i shoot split finger

Offline Cato

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 02:34:00 PM »
Agree with Orion.  Sounds too stiff to me.  I'd try some 2018 or 2114 and play with the point weight and length while bare shafting.
Most religions teach that you earn salvation by keeping rules. Jesus didn't teach that "good people" go to heaven. He taught that "forgiven people" go to heaven. And He invited everyone, no matter what their past, to come to Him and be forgiven.

Offline hedgerowhuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 02:58:00 PM »
I recently had a similar problem, everything I was trying told me that it should work, so I had a friend watch me. Sure enough he pointed out that I was moving ever so slightly on release and it was going nock high. I had him shoot it and they flew like darts. He and I worked on some sloppiness in my shot. I'm not saying your moving I'm just saying have a friend watch, another set of eyes never hurts to pick up on the little things.

Online Formby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 10:04:00 PM »
I guess it could be me moving because it does not do it every shot

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 04:57:00 AM »
I used to shoot those and for a year didn't know why I couldn't shoot consistently, they are WAY overspined for a 50 lb bow.  Once I put heavy heads on them they calmed down a lot but I'd rather have the proper spined aluminum in the first place.

Online darin putman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 12:11:00 PM »
I shot a similar setup 55@28, 29"draw, with a skinny string shot 2117's bareshafted great with 175 up front,arrows cut to 30" length.2018's were still too weak for my bow,might be worth giving them a try on your setup then play with point weight,my other bow 52#@28" 2018's cut to 30.25 bareshafted great with 175# up front,both bows were R/d longbows cut to center.
Osage selfbow and Surewood shafts

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 12:17:00 PM »
I would think you are a little stiff but the sure fire way to know is to do some bare shaft tuning. Take a look here about bare shaft tuning  http://www.bowmaker.net/tuning.htm
James Kerr

Online Formby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 01:04:00 PM »
Ok i shot a couple 2016s i have. the first pic is a 31" 2016 with a 125gr point and the second pic is a 29" 2016 with a 100gr point. they both look really weak to me.

Online darin putman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 02:07:00 PM »
Hey blowgunner what part of Alabama you from,anywhere close to Florence?
Osage selfbow and Surewood shafts

Online Formby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 02:57:00 PM »
Not really im near alexander city

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 03:51:00 PM »
Shoot a group of those bare shafts along with a group of fletched shafts and tune according to how they group together. Ignore the angle the bare shafts are sticking in the target.
James Kerr

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©