3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Toughest arrows possible  (Read 297 times)

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
Toughest arrows possible
« on: August 08, 2012, 02:22:00 PM »
What would be the toughest arrows for hunting, stump shooting, and target shooting between 2018 xx75 arrows aluminum footed carbons (like say Gold Tip blems from Big Jim).  I've just counted and of the last 9 arrows needing replaced, 6 have been from bending after a glancing shot or breaking after finding a rock, tree, or stump while roving.

A logical person would say, quit roving and shoot softer targets like bags or 3d all the time, but then again a logical person would shoot a rifle over a bow for it's technological advantage too.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Toughest arrows possible
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 02:39:00 PM »
Id say thick-walled carbons with footings´on front end and nock end and a brass insert (more shock absorbing than alum).

I shoot stumps about 95% of my training and with the kind of arrow described above most stone hits arent a problem either (with 58#).
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 02:57:00 PM »
The toughest I've used are AD Hammerheads. I use the standard aluminum inserts and the aluminum collars.

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 03:03:00 PM »
The Beman MFX Classics work for me.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 03:10:00 PM »
I like wood for stumping....yea I know ,what are you crazy.   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 03:12:00 PM »
How about fiberglass bowfishing arrows?
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 03:25:00 PM »
I like the AD hammerhead trads.  I started shooting them last fall with great results, but they are pricey.  I have shot gold tips with good results also.  I just foot the last 4 inches with aluminum.

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 03:32:00 PM »
I rarely break any carbon arrow that has a brass insert in it. The brass insert seems to do wonders for a carbon arrows durability.
James Kerr

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 03:35:00 PM »
Carbon Express Heritage, Brass inserts, and aluminum footing. I don't foot the nock end anymore. Haven't had a problem with these. Might want to glue the the nock in though. They tend to pop out on rock hits.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 03:41:00 PM »
Been amazed with Beman MFXs and 2 inches of aluminum footings!  They are like tanks when I hit a stump that isnt as dead as I thought no problem and the nocks dont fly out either!  I had shot Hammerhead lites before and was happy with the front end durability but when I would hit a less than dead stump it would blow out the nock and the skinny end cracked on numerous arrows.
More bows than I should have!
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 05:59:00 PM »
HICK-ORY
 750g fright trains!!   :campfire:

Offline Blue Tick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 06:11:00 PM »
I really like my GT blems I got from Big Jim. I take and foot them with 2" up front and 3/8" on the back. I also use brass inserts to go along with them. Tough as nails.
Sarrels Blue Ridge SR "Autumn Hunter"
Lone Star Skull Works

Offline atatarpm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 06:36:00 PM »
A D Hanner Heads or Grizzly Sticks
Atatarpm   "Traditional Archery is a mastery of one's self ; not of things."
71# Qarbon Nano
67# T2 Blacktail
85lbs Bama
100lbs Bama
60lbs Big D's Long Bow

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 06:36:00 PM »
If you wanted to increase point weight try 2020 Easton XX75s. They will hold up to about anything. Hickory is amazingly tough as well.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline Tradcat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 06:50:00 PM »
ok.... I hate to ask a stupid question but , in detail,how do you foot a carbon shaft with aluminum ? Ive never heard of this before. Thanks

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2012, 07:02:00 PM »
Tradcat,
 All you do is pick the correct aluminum shaft size, cut to desired length, de burr, and glue in place over carbon shaft. There is a chart in "How -to resources section". Look under threads started by Charlie Lamb.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2012, 10:47:00 PM »
Here's a gt7595 with a 50 grain brass insert and a 125 grain judo after an encounter with an unseen granite boulder.  It was shot out of a 64#@31" r/d longbow. Without the footing, the shaft would have been utterly destroyed. As it is, I can trim it down below the sleeve and reuse the shaft.

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2012, 11:07:00 PM »
AD hammerheads brass insert heavy steel blunt with rubber blunt over top.   Collar bOth ends, with g nocks and inserts.  

I stump shoot alot in rocky country, and never break these arrows.
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2012, 11:16:00 PM »
For stumping I shoot CE 150's footed at both ends with 2216's, 1/4" on top and 1" at the end. While maybe not bomb proof they have given me more fun shooting than any other combo I have tried. Most of my bows are around the 50# range, 49-54 # recurves and LB's. I use the standard inserts that come with them and 125 grn judos. I hot melt my judos and that is what usually comes loose, if anything, but I just hot melt them back in place and go at it some more. FUN FUN FUN

I shot the TBW " ROCK SHOOT" in Moses Lake this year and my feathers took a worse beating than my arrow shaft.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2012, 11:27:00 PM »
Carbon Gold Tip 5575's with footed with carbon collars and a brass insert. Very tough.
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©