3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: broke a string  (Read 464 times)

Offline runamuk

• Trad Bowhunter
broke a string
« on: August 07, 2007, 12:14:00 AM »
howdy folks
just wondering what kind of potential damage there could be to my bow if i broke a bow string while shooting it???
i shoot a 60'Thunderhorn coupe at 60#
i broke two strings in one day the first one was just plain wore out and i think it slapped my arm gaurd one to many times..
the second one was a string i made and i think i got the serving way to tight, and it just snapped
after about 5 shots,, right below my nock point.
now my bow just seems to be kind of soft and more flexable while unstrung.. i ain't real sure about that but it seems that way..
and while shooting it my arrows just dont seem to have the the zipp they used to, also the arrows have a little wag to em. it seems like more up and down than side to side..
but they still enter the target straight,, and they still go where i am aiming,, at least as well as before which ain't saying much..
i have ajusted my brace height but it just got worse, so i am back at the same height i was before.. i have shot at least a couple hunderd arrows in the last few days and it dont seem to be getting any worse..maybe i am just parinoid..
any thoughts???
Tyler

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: broke a string
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 08:01:00 AM »
One of the common places a bow will crack on a dry fire is in the shelf, in the corner, on the side facing the target or the back of the bow.  Sometimes they will be very small hairline crack.  Check there.  Change you strings often if you shoot much, say every 4-6 months or sooner if you have wear.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline runamuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 12:18:00 AM »
thanks dragonheart
no cracks that i can see.
i appeciate the advice..
Tyler

Offline dorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 03:56:00 AM »
maybe just where you have been shooting alot and your getting more used to the pounds and the longer you shoot the same bow it always seems there slower than they were when you wasnt used to it .
" If I fail trying my hardest did I really fail ? "

Jeff Dorris
11/16/1970 ~ 3/30/2010
Rest In Peace

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 09:22:00 AM »
happened to me a bunch of times shooting all widows and once with a bob lee longbow,, never a problem but I shoot around #50
"Us vs Them"

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 09:52:00 AM »
runamuk....
    I have had a string break on me also, not fun.
    If your hitting your Armguard a lot might I suggest that you change your the way you grip your bow....
    You should only occasionaly hit your arm with the string....
    Thats my thoughts anyway.......
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 01:50:00 PM »
I had a string break on me once at the string loop, I was shooting but the string broke as the bow was going back to brace height. No damage on my bow though.

Offline Artur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 01:07:00 AM »
I don't know what kind of bow the Thunderhorn Coupe is (recurve, longbow, self, laminate, etc.), but here's what I think:

Check that bow extremely carefully for cracks/splintering/etc -- the WHOLE bow, not just the riser/grip area! Flex the bow -- carefully! -- while looking for damage, sometimes it can be harder to find than the Invisible Man... I've never had a string break the way you describe, but I have had a Flemish come apart while stringing the bow (I was given - and took - some really bad advice); I was using a bow-stringer, and it's the only thing that kept the bow from **snapping** back (things could've been nasty, otherwise).

I have seen a couple of bows after they suffered string breakage, and they were not pretty. Don't take any unnecessary chances.
Artur - Archer/Fletcher; To Live Is To Learn, To Learn Is to Live

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 01:19:00 AM »
I had one break on a widow one time 59#@28". The string broke about 8" from the loop. I checked it over with a looking glass to make sure there were no fractures.I didn't find any.
If i were you i would look real close to make sure.
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline runamuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 07:20:00 PM »
thanks folks
i didn't realize i had so many replies till just now..
well i checked my bow out pretty close and found no damage, i have shot several hundred times, and still have the porpoise effect in my arrows that i didn't have before,, but they still enter the target straight..
i have played around with my brace height and can't seem to improve..
i am thinking i will put a string on without a nock point and move my arrow up and down the string and see if i can find that sweet spot again..
any other suggestions would be most welcomed...
i am worried sick its right in the middle of antelope season and things just ain't right with my bow..
i sure wish i knew of some folks in my area that shot trad..  i sure need a mentor..
heck i have to drive 3 hours just to get to a bow shop that carries a decent amount of trad gear..
if it weren't for you folks, i would really be in a world of hurt..
THANK YOU ALL!!!!
Tyler

Offline Benoli

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 09:01:00 AM »
I recently broke a string while shooting my Shrew. Having never broken a string before the experience rattled my nerves a bit. My first thought was damage to the bow, there was none. I was wearing a new watch and apparantly the string cought on the clasp causing it to break. I never relaized how close the string comes to my arm as it it never hits and therfore I never wear an armgaurd. Two minutes later I put on my back up string and I'm back in business. Just one of the reasons I gave up on the wheelie bows.
One stick, one string and an arrow I'll fling!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©