3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dropping Bow poundage,back issues  (Read 170 times)

Offline Chub

• Trad Bowhunter
Dropping Bow poundage,back issues
« on: August 09, 2012, 09:21:00 AM »
Hello ,
        Dropping from mid 50s to mid 40s for all around trad shooting .this issue is bothersome for hunting.45lb lee with 1916s and a 145 head the zwickeys and field points are grouping nicley out to 25yrds.i had some nitemare thoughts of going back to wheeleys or worse a crossbow nothanks.its lifes midfortions to getting older.all the years of sports.weightlifting.construction is my occupation.ive got disc issues in back and a split vertibrae witch i was born with and did not know till i was in my early 20s now in my mid 40s doc says no surgerys yet to young.my cousin has same issues had the surgery and walks with a cane to this day.i guess 45lbs is still ok for hunting just need close shots .i guess im looking for assurance . thanks Bruce

Offline Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dropping Bow poundage,back issues
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 09:46:00 AM »
Plenty of poundage, I have killed 8 or more deer and some big hogs with bows in the mid 40's.  Well tuned arrow of sufficient weight with a sharp cut on contact broadhead.  Most of my arrows are sticking in the dirt on the other side of the animal.
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 09:47:00 AM »
I think you will find quite a few people have dropped down in bow weight for 1 reason or another. You do what you have to so you can still keep on shooting.

Nothing wrong with your poundage, there has been a lot of animals killed with low poundage. The name of the game is have fun and enjoy.

Offline Brad Arnett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 09:52:00 AM »
Grab a cup of coffee and take a look at this thread, it ought to give you all the assurance you need. I have also dropped in bow weight due to elbow issues. I shot a 60# Wes Wallace Mentor for the last 14 years and just this season I dropped to a 50# Centaur Carbon Elite longbow and am enjoying pain free shooting and loving it!

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=112539

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 10:01:00 AM »
Chub, in the 60s and 70s when I really got into hunting with bow and arrow, the weight you are moving to was the most common weight most guys were using.  Fifty pound bows were regarded as on the heavy side.  Bows in the mid-40s were common as dirt back then.  The compound device changed guys' perception of what weight was desired/needed.  When people began shooting compounds that in the early days were 35%, then 50% let-off, guys figured, "Hey, I can shoot a 70# bow now and  only hold 35#!"  That expectation moved over into the traditional realm when those guys (us guys   ;)  ) moved into or back into the trad style bows.  You will be fine with your choice--lots of those who went before us did.  :thumbsup:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 07:08:00 PM »
Overcoming the mindset, which many may share, will likely be the most challenging hurdle.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 08:26:00 PM »
Make confident close shoots and you will have just as much enjoyment with the lighter weight!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Chub

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 09:15:00 PM »
Hey Brad i sat and read that post and i think it was awsome.I guess that nomatter what weight bow we use its all about the shot.     CHUB

Offline e alexander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 09:54:00 PM »
Just this weekend I won a bow. It was a 39 pound, 64" longbow made by Mike Miller of Crooked Stik.  Not exactly what I would have ordered, but a great shooter.  I have to admit, it's fun to shoot, and suprizingly quick. I'm thinking hard about hunting with it this year. I have no doubt that it will do it's job if I do mine.

Offline MikeEvans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 10:50:00 PM »
Don't fret over the lower poundage, I started hunting with trad last year and harvested my first deer with a 42lb. bow. I will still get the job done if your shot is true and you use quality broadheads.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©