3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: String Stretcher  (Read 205 times)

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
String Stretcher
« on: August 09, 2012, 01:30:00 PM »
I've started building my own flemish strings so I can try different materials.  Now, I need a string stretcher.  Any suggestions as to where I can buy a good string stretcher?

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline Hootsbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: String Stretcher
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 01:48:00 PM »
you can build one easy, if you have a bar clamp and a 2x4
take a good pc. of rope tie it together hook an s hook on it and hook it to bar clamp, set bar clamp over end of 2x4 and drive 2 16d nails side by side at an angle on other end to drop your string loop over hook other end in s hook and crank her down

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 03:08:00 PM »
I have a strong hook bolted to a beam in my basement, I have another tied to a short rope loop. I hook one end on the beam the other on the loop and step in the loop, standing on one foot and balancing myself with the upright support beam. Two hundred thirty pounds of stretch for $3.50.

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 05:42:00 PM »
Bill,
 Here's one I made with a rachet strap and a 2x3 I got at Lowes and a few bolts to hold the rachet  crank...I can explain in more detail if you like the pics...Just let me know...Keefers <><

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 05:47:00 PM »
Bill,
 Sorry for the photo's not being any better but I'm thinking of building a better Jig using a boat crank with a belt instead of a cable on my next one...This was just a quick one I threw together with a rachet strap but it serves the purpose and I think everyone has a spare rachet strap laying around their garage somewhere?

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 11:22:00 PM »
Keefer,

Yes, I have lots of ratchet straps laying around.  The only question I have is do you have a means of measuring the pounds of tension you have on the string?

Thanks!

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 05:44:00 AM »
Bill,
 If you have one of those Viking scales that have an S hook on one side and another on the other side you could rig that to work but I just crank it till it starts to tighten and give it one more crank or so and let it set a few hours...A scale would be a bonus if you have one and that will really help in knowing just how much tension you have on it.. My next one will have that option..I did add a scale of how many inch's I was stretching it but if you just want to stretch a little this is just a quick option...

Offline cedar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 11:05:00 AM »
I just put the string on the bow and let it sit for the night.

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 11:36:00 AM »
Some makers put a scale on one end and use some sort of crank to tighten / stretch the string to a certain poundage.  Others I know just use a fixed hook on one end and a set weight on the other end.  To the best of my knowledge, there is no standard for this process but most of the commercial makers I know use at least 100 lbs..  Also note that the temperature at which you stretch your string can have some variable.  (I make strings in my shop and it varys in temperature at times so I always stretch them in the house which is a pretty consistant 70')  Try to be certain that you stretch your strings at the same temperature each time you make them so this doesn't affect you as much in the field, but also to be certain you check your brace height each time you shoot to be the most consistant.

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 01:14:00 PM »
This is my string jig and stretcher. I measure the string the length I want at my second loop and after making the string twist it two inches shorter. I stretch it back out to the original length.

Jack Shanks

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 03:15:00 PM »
Jack,

Where did you get the spring for your stretcher?  Do you make strings with Dacron only?

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 03:47:00 PM »
Bill,

The spring is from a auto parts store. The bolts are 3/8 eye bolts with a section cut out. The longer bolt should have at least four inches of threads. I don't show it in the pictures but I place different size blocks of wood depending on string length to take up the space between the two sections of my stretcher so I'm not just using the clamps to hold them to the table  while stretching. I only make dacron strings myself but you could make fast flight using the same concept.

Actually, after stretching it out the first time to the desired length I start my serving and then back the bolt off about 1 inch. I hold tension on the string with one hand while spinning the server with the other to complete the center serving. After completing the serving I twist the string until the twist are aprox. one twist in 3/4" then re-stretch to length.
Jack Shanks

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 10:38:00 AM »
Bill, after I build a string I wax it well and put one loop on a hook and pull tight with my hand while rubbing vigerously with a small piece of leather. The will heat up the string enough to melt the wax into the string and help stretch out the string. Once I put the string on the bow I place the bow across my lap and push down on the belly side of the tips, stretching the string.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Kentucky Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2012, 12:55:00 PM »
Hang a 7 gal pickle bucket full sand, rocks, whatever, from the ceiling with your string overnight.  Cheap, easy and more than a few stringmakers here use this method.

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2012, 10:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by John49:
I just put the string on the bow and let it sit for the night.
Me too!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©