3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why can't I cant one and not the other???  (Read 412 times)

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
Why can't I cant one and not the other???
« on: August 09, 2012, 01:31:00 PM »
So I have a question I was hoping you guys could help me with.  I think it will influence future bow shopping. Plus, I'd like to know why this happens, or if I'm just not getting something right.  
OK..I currently have two bows....a 50# Savannah and a 45# Roy Hall Aztec. Both are R/D bows..the Aztec being a little more dramatic.  I like shooting the Savannah and when I do I cant it and shoot along the lines that Byron Ferguson teaches. I have found that it works for me and I'm getting pretty good at it out to about 18-20 yards.  Now, with the Aztec I can't get it to shoot worth a darn using the same style...or at least with the same cant.  I try and try and no matter what I do the consitency is just not there.  SO...I change and hold the bow straight up and down...give it a few shots and all of the sudden, I'm consistently hitting pretty good!!  
Why is this??  Nothing is different except the bows of course! The Aztec is definitely more touchy or finicky and demands more finesse or attention to shoot well. The Savannah seems to be more of a point and shoot and hits with more of a wallop!
 What would cause one bow to work better one way and another not?  My guess is that it might have something to do with the grips on the bow but I'm not sure.  I've been playing with it since I received the 2nd bow a while ago and it always works out the same.

Thanks for any input.  I'm learning!
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline longrifle346

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why can't I cant one and not the other???
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 02:02:00 PM »
For me the difference is in the grips of the bows that I shoot. The straight grips I cant but really, only slightly before I have accuracy and consistency issues...
I believe Mr. Ferguson's advice was to cant at different degrees to bring the groups back to center wasn't it?
If you find yourself in a fair fight? Your tactics suck!

Offline atatarpm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 02:18:00 PM »
Not wanting to sound all mystic and stuff butt a bow to me is like any other thing that is made you can have two cars made by the same people and they will have their own personallity. One will start just by turning the key and the other you will have to pump the gas petel twice to get it to start. If you'll learn the personallity of both you'll be able to hit with both.
Atatarpm   "Traditional Archery is a mastery of one's self ; not of things."
71# Qarbon Nano
67# T2 Blacktail
85lbs Bama
100lbs Bama
60lbs Big D's Long Bow

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 02:52:00 PM »
Skitch,
Just for fun, grab the tips of each and try to gently twist to see if one is less prone to torque.  If so, I'd imagine that your string fingers are torquing the string more when you cant the bow vs. vertical.  Just a thought.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 07:02:00 PM »
You should be able to shoot your bow from any angle and any position, and practice those shots-including with the bow above the arrow. There is a 'form clock' somewhere around here-look for it and maybe someone will post a link.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 08:11:00 PM »
I'd think it would have to do with the cut to center and distance from top of hand to arrow shelf. Are the two bows different,in that,respect?
I think it was Asbel that wrote,about these relationships when rotating the bow and the arrow alignment.
I agree with Bjorn of coarse as we get older some of these shots get more difficult.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 10:34:00 PM »
I just think the difference I'm seeing has to be the grips...but I'll check out the idea of one more susceptable to torque .... good idea.  I'll also check relation of hand to shelf.  I've been trying to get my hand as close to the arrow on both!  

And then Bjorn....now you really ruined if for me!!  Now I can't really have any excuse. ha ha....maybe I'll have to get rid of that bow so that I can't complain about the issue.....!!!
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline bluej

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 11:36:00 PM »
I have two longbows, same model, same bowyer, but there is a big difference on  the way they feel in the hand and the way they shoot.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 12:20:00 AM »
Originally posted by macbow:
I'd think it would have to do with the cut to center and distance from top of hand to arrow shelf. Are the two bows different,in that,respect?
I think it was Asbel that wrote,about these relationships when rotating the bow and the arrow alignment.

This is exactly what makes a bow easier to shoot in any position. the closer that shaft is to center shot and coming right off the knuckle, the less canting the bow effects the windage.

having your arrows tuned perfectly to the bow helps a lot too.....

I wouldn't think torsional stability, or lateral limb stability would have anything to do with canting your bow effecting arrow flight. when you cant your bow you typically bend at the waist anyway.

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 04:28:00 PM »
Thanks Kirk....and macbow.  That part by Asbell is exactly why I started thinking about getting my hand as close to the arrow as possible. I'll have to go out today and see if the grip on one bow is keeping me further from the other....

That is, while I work on shooting from any and all angles!!!!  

Thanks for the help guys. Just trying to wrap my head around how and why various differences affect my shooting.
   Lincoln

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©