3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Backyard Deer yay or nay  (Read 622 times)

Offline OffTheKnuckle

• Trad Bowhunter
Backyard Deer yay or nay
« on: August 09, 2012, 06:42:00 PM »
I have permission to hunt deer in my mom's yard, bowhunt of course. Two nice buck cross often and many doe.  
What do yall think of backyard deer.

Offline RUTANDSTRUT

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Backyard Deer yay or nay
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 06:44:00 PM »
i live in NJ, all we have is backyard deer!  i say hunt them.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 06:51:00 PM »
Over the years, people have given me permission (sometimes begged) me to shoot the deer that were decimating the plants in their backyards.  I have never taken them up on it, assuming that the deer would probably not just conveniently drop dead on the spot, but would probably run down the block and drop dead in some PETA member's front yard.

If you're not worried about where they're going to run after they're hit, and if your mom's yard is in a legal hunting zone, then go for it.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 07:05:00 PM »
I'm with McDave on this one.  My boss has permits to kill deer in his neighborhood of 3-5 acre lots, a feeder in his front yard, and what he says are three really nice 8-10 pt. Whitetails hitting it daily, plus numerous does.  He wants me to come and shoot two or three as the permits are bow only, but I just know I'll blood trail it into somebody's garage.....and I feel the outcome with the neighbors wouldn't be worth it.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 07:07:00 PM »
Depends on the back yard/neighborhood. We shoot anything and up to high powered rifles in our back yard, I've seen some it's not safe to throw rocks in.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 07:20:00 PM »
Only if they die in your backyard. Bad publicity when they wander on a neighbor's yard and croak with an arrow sticking in them.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 07:23:00 PM »
I have had depredation permits and not used them because you just can't predict where the animal will end up. A shot clean through the heart and the critter can go 30 yards! Double lung 40-50 yards! Single lung-a week!  And who knows which direction.............not for me!

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 07:25:00 PM »
Around here, most of my hunting is some variation of "backyard".  I live on 25 acres, have permission to hunt on other plots of 10 to 20 acres, and so forth.  All semi-rural, but certainly a far cry from "wilderness".  Unless you are an unyilding purist, you may just have be able to enjoy yourself in less than untouched surroundings.  Nothing wrong with that, in my opinion.  And, like a Wensel said, "If you call em and they don't come, they ain't a pet."  So don't feel too bad about that aspect of the hunt.
Silence is golden.

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 07:27:00 PM »
I have a buddy who shot one behind his house (in a perfectly legal area) and it ran into a neighbor lady's yard and died in her gold fish pond.  Not really what you would want to have happen.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline FarmerMarley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 07:54:00 PM »
and it ran into a neighbor lady's yard and died in her gold fish pond.
That's exactly why I don't even want to think about going after the nice bucks that I see frequently on my ~3ish acre old orchard property. There have been some beautiful 4X4 CA blacktail come through in broad daylight.

Plus my neighbors see me out there practicing archery all the time...Won't take a Sherlock Holmes to put 2 and 2 together.

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 08:07:00 PM »
I'd drop the string!!!!
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 08:11:00 PM »
Hunt where you can. sometimes those are the perfect spots for before or after work. I hate watching other peoples TV's from my tree stand so sometimes you have to face the other side of the tree despite where the trail is.

Save the woodsie hunts for the weekends.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 08:21:00 PM »
I hunt a lot of back yard deer. Most of the neighbors know I'm hunting. Be respectful and courteous to everyone you encounter while hunting, it goes a long way.
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline jax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 08:21:00 PM »
I would kill em and go get em. If they issue permits to bowhunt surely they know they all won't drop wear they were shot. Some of the best bucks hang out in the hood

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 08:23:00 PM »
I should add I hunt mostly weekdays in the morning. To much activity on the week-ends.
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2012, 08:32:00 PM »
Hard to come by a free place to hunt in my neck of the woods....i'd be all over a deal like this

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2012, 08:34:00 PM »
If you don't care where they end up then go for it. I'm sure you've already taken safety into consideration. If its safe and legal and wouldn't end up with too much bad press, Id go for it.
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline kykiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2012, 08:37:00 PM »
I'd say kill'em!
Do or do not.  There is no try.

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2012, 08:43:00 PM »
Here in NJ if you don't hunt "yards' than you almost don't hunt. As long as you can make a safe(not endangering anyone but the deer)shot than by all means. And in some areas camo means polo shirt, dockers pants and boat shoes suberban deer are use to it ,camo would just upset the neighbers(ask anyone on the golf couse how deer act towards them LOL) Just don't gut in the area, and try to limit the  drag/blood that shows. I 2nd the week day hunt fewer eyes.
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2012, 08:45:00 PM »
I think I'd talk to a few of the neighbors, let them know you're thinking of doing some bow hunting and see what kind of response you get and then go from there

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©