3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Backyard Deer yay or nay  (Read 623 times)

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Backyard Deer yay or nay
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2012, 08:48:00 PM »
Ive popped a few in my backyard.They taste the same.

Offline UrbanDeerSlayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2012, 08:50:00 PM »
My specialty! Although I am no expert, this is where I'm hunting or I'm not hunting!  Huge urban deer problem, yards get destroyed and people want rid of the deer.   It's legal and the urban deer population is out of control. I have one friend that begs me to hunt them and I am eager to assist. In my yard I'll hunt the AM on weekdays, everybody goes to work and school, less people to deal with.  Shoot with confidence and a sharp broadhead.
Shoot Straight, Feel Great!

Offline UrbanDeerSlayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2012, 08:54:00 PM »
I should add that I have been shooting only doe, and nobody seems to get excited with a dead doe.  It seems that antlers add to the "excitement" and that's when "eyes" notice and problems arise.  That's not to say I won't shoot the big 8 if I see him, but it appears more "deer management" of you are culling the herd of a few does.  Of course, offer any that ask what your doing, the opportunity to feast on some fresh, natural, no preservatives added, no steroids, etc.... venison.
Shoot Straight, Feel Great!

Offline stickbowmaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2012, 09:15:00 PM »
I smell fried backstrap already.
Dryad Orion 58" 49#@28"
Static limbs
Kodiak Magnum    52" 50#@28"

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2012, 09:23:00 PM »
Whack em'! my favorite deer to hunt!!
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2012, 09:28:00 PM »
explore the outer areas and they make the decision. I personal as stated hunt backyard bucks in Jersey to.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline graybarkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2012, 09:42:00 PM »
i'd be on it like white on rice! an afternoon hunt may be a better deal, so when you do stick one you'll be tracking in the dark, so maybe it wont be so obvious. asking the neighbors may be a good idea, but it also may get them to say NO. dont ask, dont tell in my opinion.. go kill!    i  killed a buck several yrs ago (on my buddies in laws place) while i smelled hamburgers cooking..

Offline JParanee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2012, 11:04:00 PM »
All day every day  :)
Morrison & Titan ILF & BF Extreme Limbs
Silvertip 1 Piece 57#-Silvertip 57#-Black Widow Ma II 61#&69#-Fedora 560 69#- 560 57#-560 60#-560 55#-Brakenbury Shadow 60#-Hoyt Buffalo 55#- Bob Lee 58#- fishing bows PSE's

Offline huntmaster80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2012, 11:23:00 PM »
I hunt "backyard" deer every year, and they are no easier to hunt than a mountain deer imo.

Offline Grizzbear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2012, 02:05:00 AM »
Educate the neighbors then grill em a strap

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2012, 07:10:00 AM »
The thing about neighborhood deer is human scent doesn't run them off. So it isn't much of a challenge but they are deer and are tasty so that is really a personal call.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2012, 07:20:00 AM »
Go for it, deer meat is deer meat, and the herd needs trimmed in these areas.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2012, 08:31:00 AM »
One of our neighbors has a herd of "pet" deer that come each evening to her backyard feeder. She asked me to put down a doe with a broken leg. That doe would probably have made it through the winter just fine, but she really couldn't stand to see it limping. Her front yard is in the city limits and her back yard in the township. I took her down with a rifle at about 20yds while sitting against her back wall, simply because I didn't want it running 50yds and dropping on somebody's front porch.

Really wanted to use my bow and track it a short way with my Dachshund to give him some much needed work. Just couldn't afford the possible bad press.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline OffTheKnuckle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2012, 09:22:00 AM »
It's semi rural and legal, the gold fish pond scenario is about the only issue I have with it.  
There is an elevated covered playhouse right where they cross!

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2012, 10:01:00 AM »
I say go for it if is semi rural. Deer will usually seek cover when hit, only reason I can see a deer dying in a goldfish pond next to someone's house is that it was gut shot and that was the only water around. We see deer hit  by cars quite often laying in people's yards up here! If you are concerned I would approach the neighbors and talk to them! If you don't feel good about thier responses don't hunt it! I have found that they give permits for a reason and alot of the non hunters don't want to hit them with thier cars! I have friends that hunt situation's like yours and they have never had an issue! I know they usually will get the deer out during the weekday and not at night b/c lights in someone's back yard will get a call to the local authority's!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2012, 10:09:00 AM »
I have been hunting in "the hood" as we call it among some multi million dollar homes all on 5 acre lots for the past 8 years or so and it has never been an issue.  I have never had one pile up in someone's yard.  They always go for cover and end up in an adjacent woodlot.  I started out with 1 property and then over the years have grown it to 12 all in the same neighborhood.  As long as all the neighbors understand what is going on it has been great.  I share the venison with anyone who want it and usually provide them with a nice bottle of wine to accompany it. I have 'real' woods to hunt in when I want to, but the convenience of going from work to parking the truck in 15 minutes is awfully nice.  I think the hood deer are just as difficult to hunt the only exception being that they are more accustomed to human scent.  They still smell you, but I think it allows you to get a little closer.  There is only one property owner that is a rabid anti that will not allow anyone on his property no matter what.  We don't hunt where we think a deer might go onto his property after being shot.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2012, 01:49:00 PM »
I say go for it.
James Kerr

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2012, 02:13:00 PM »
Deer would have to run 6 miles to find another yard behind my house.  :bigsmyl:
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline David M. Mathis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2012, 02:56:00 PM »
Just let them get run over by the cars in the neighborhood.  Not me. Mike

Offline backyardbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2012, 05:37:00 PM »
See my handle. But mine is not your typical back yard. I have 10 acres and have hunted deer and turkey there for a couple years. I have considered the retrieval from the neighbors yard, and chances of that are slim. Any more, about anywhere you go is someones back yard.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©