3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Backyard Deer yay or nay  (Read 621 times)

Offline straight_arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Backyard Deer yay or nay
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2012, 06:31:00 PM »
There's a difference between hunting and killing.  I don't hunt the deer on my property because they know i'm not a threat to them since i see them almost daily.  Just a thought.
"They're all trophies"

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2012, 07:31:00 PM »
I  live in a subdivision where everyone has a few acres. I am at the end of a dead end road with nothing behind my house but woods for a mile or so. I could hunt my 4 acres, I see quite a few deer out my back window but leave the deer alone.

Walking 100yds from the house and setting up a tree stand doesn't feel like hunting for me.

If I fall short on putting  my yearly deer in the freezer I might mess with the back yard deer. So far all I have to do when I come up short is call one of my deer slayer friends and tell them I need a deer. With a 2 deer a day limit in Alabama and a 3 deer a day limit in Tennessee it doesn't take them long to deliver. Most of us hunt both states.

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2012, 09:38:00 PM »
I voted no because I envisioned actually neighborhoods, like 50'x120' lots. Very bad ju-ju for a dying deer to run across four or five patios before going down cleanly.

On the other hand, 3 to 5 acre tracks, cool neighbors, go for it!

I'm on 5 acres surrounded by 20 and 40 acre and public land and if a nice buck is standing out by my target with a mouth full of my jalapenos, as they are apt to do, thwack!
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2012, 10:07:00 PM »
No.

Treestand-yes
Camera-yes
Bleeding deer on someone's porch-nope.

I've got a herd in my backyard and in spite of eating our veggie garden I won't shoot them. not worth the grief if things don't go right

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2012, 10:37:00 PM »
Yay.

I do it every year on a 13 acre property. It is my local hunting spot.

I will spend weekend hunts at my brother in laws 200 acre farm in NorthEast Missouri.

Funny thing is: I kill bigger/better deer on the 13 acres:

Here is a google Earth Picture of the property. The yellow line is the boundary of the 13 acres.

You can clearly see 20+ houses in this picture.

62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2012, 06:00:00 AM »
In a residential area of small lots - no. In NY, you must have landowner permission to retrieve. If they say no, you cannot go in under ANY circumstance. Not for me.

Offline Craig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2012, 09:41:00 AM »
Some of us only have those places to hunt, so if we want to hunt we have no choice. You hunt in the evening and track at night. So far no problem.
Schafer Silvertip

Offline bow'narrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2012, 09:41:00 AM »
Share venison with the neighbors.  Great PR for the deer that die off your property.
no clue how to do this

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2012, 04:08:00 PM »
I'm in the check around with neighbors crowd.  You might find it is fairly universal feeling for the need to get rid of a few deer.  If you are ethical and responsible it can go a long way to helping win over the non-hunters to the positive aspects of bowhunting.  If it is a largely anti-hunting area I would stay away to avoid the trouble and giving the anti's anything they could blow up into a larger issue.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline UrbanDeerSlayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »
I feel compelled to respond again.  My neighborhood consists of mostly 1 acre plots with homes, and larger off limit areas around the neighborhood. Off limit areas are ball fields, parks, schools etc with no hunting allowed. The deer bed down in those areas, then eat out the neighborhood gardens and landscaping. There is almost no hunting pressure and growing deer herds. Road kill was at an all time high last year, I saw at least a dozen road kills within 1 mile of my home. Yes the deer are patternable and you know where to hunt, but this is necessary in order to get on top for a nice close shot and hopefully a quick kill.  Most of my neighbors know my intentions, but regardless, my legal right is to hunt them and I do so because my landscaping is also one of the ones that the deer vigorously feed on, and it may be one of my cars that collides with the deer in the future.
Shoot Straight, Feel Great!

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2012, 05:57:00 AM »
If you hunt YOUR area, aprouch your neighbers with the hunt as a public service broadhead or volvo/Bmw the deer is still dead. Point out that you hunt from tree stands thus shots( silent NO BANG) go into the ground, and you're willing to share the High proteen low fat resolt.  I'm sure there are some who are tryed of car vs deer pingpong and destuction of pricy landscaped property/gardens and as pointed out the less camo(look like everyone else) the better.
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2012, 06:15:00 AM »
I live in a very rural area and everybody around here hunts so it wouldn't be a problem. My lease starts in my backyard and goes 3k acres to the river.The only thing I would be worried about in a subdivision area would be a bad shot. It happened around here sometimes back where a deer had an arrow stuck in it and was seen by several people. Heck the local news was all over it. To say the least it didn't help our cause.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2012, 09:31:00 AM »
I have put a lot of backyard venison in the freezer. No PETA people or tree huggers here, any where in my neigbor hood. I had folks over on a lake ridge that had been developed, out of state retiree's knew I hunted, aske me not to shoot deer that were close to their houses, like to see them. A year later and a dry spell, deer came in a mowed down all their high dollare shrubs and landscape and ornamental bushes, my phone started ringing off the wall, folks asking me when I was gonna kill them ***** deer. I have had free range of the whole neighborhood since. I used the back decks and porches as blinds since about every one had tall towering evergreen shrubs on each corner of the 2 story decks, blind and a treestand. Deer were still wild.
samuel koger

Offline UrbanDeerSlayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2012, 10:47:00 AM »
Originally posted by koger:
I have put a lot of backyard venison in the freezer. No PETA people or tree huggers here, any where in my neigbor hood. I had folks over on a lake ridge that had been developed, out of state retiree's knew I hunted, aske me not to shoot deer that were close to their houses, like to see them. A year later and a dry spell, deer came in a mowed down all their high dollare shrubs and landscape and ornamental bushes, my phone started ringing off the wall, folks asking me when I was gonna kill them ***** deer. I have had free range of the whole neighborhood since. I used the back decks and porches as blinds since about every one had tall towering evergreen shrubs on each corner of the 2 story decks, blind and a treestand. Deer were still wild.
This seems to be the case.  They don't want you to shoot the deer until hundreds of flowers,bushes, saplings are completely eaten to the ground, then they want them destroyed!  Nonetheless, decimation of the herd is not the goal, just good management. I have found nothing that will keep deer from landscaping except a sharp broadhead.  Chemicals / deterrants do not work. They jump over fencing. They are not scared of dogs.  In fact, my 90# dog took a kick to the head from a mature doe last year! That made the wife angry and she wants the deer gone. But I strive only to keep it in check.
Shoot Straight, Feel Great!

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2012, 10:58:00 AM »
I voted "nay" because I've got backyard and frontyard deer at my home. The deer are basically semi-tame. They pay me no mind and I can get quite close to them when I mow my grass.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2012, 12:25:00 PM »
If they have become a pest due to numbers and damage, eat them. It may not be the hunt of a lifetime, but not everyone has access to pristine hunting grounds.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline bowless

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2012, 04:16:00 PM »
Opposite here in the Bay State from NY.  If the landowner won't give permission to retreive then the game warden has to.  Of course they try to get YOU permission otherwise they have to do it.  Deer are considered the states property regardless of where they drop.
Isaiah 53:5  and with his stripes we are healed.

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2012, 05:02:00 PM »
Landowner rights are a priority still in NY.
One of the few things they have right.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©