3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ? For Bowfishing Experts  (Read 792 times)

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
? For Bowfishing Experts
« on: August 07, 2007, 12:15:00 PM »
I'm considering rigging up the duck boat for bowfishing. I want to run 4 lights up front. Can I use a battery ( industrial or heavy marine) and what kind of lights and how many amps and all that good stuff. thanks
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Online Wile E. Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ? For Bowfishing Experts
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 12:29:00 PM »
Most people use 500 to 600 watt Halogen lights and run them off of a generator. I think you'd be hard pressed to run them off of a battery for any length of time.
Wayne LaBauve

"Learn to wish that everything should come to pass exactly as it does."

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 12:38:00 PM »
Don't want to go generator route but wondering what kind of lights I need? Lets say I go with 6 lights. 3 on each side of bow...How many Amps does the average bowfishing light pull?  I plan on using some type of industrial battery. 6 hours on the water would be my max.

Offline tukudu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 01:07:00 PM »
Joebuck,
    If you go the battery route you will need to use big rig tractor trailer batteries. Believe me it is tough to do reliably. A good alternative is a honda portable generator which can handle two of the construction type lights that clamp on your guard rail/shooting rail at the front of the boat. THe portable generator is quiet and real safe.You will not be pleased with trying to do it with a battery system.
"Brothers of the flaming arrow"

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 01:36:00 PM »
We use a honda generator as well, but ours isn't quiet in the least. Have to yell to talk over it. Good thing is, the fish dont really seem to mind.

Online Wile E. Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 01:42:00 PM »
I'm with tukudu on this, you will not be happy with batteries, find a lightweight portable generator. We use the honda as well with good results.
Wayne LaBauve

"Learn to wish that everything should come to pass exactly as it does."

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 01:44:00 PM »
You could use the round tractor lights and run 4 for about 1 1/2 hours off marine battery. Thats what I use to run, Have Halogens and generator now. Battery lights work well but limit your time. Also used the off road Baja lights on my set-up. Good luck and have fun!
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 02:22:00 PM »
Thanks guys....I just always took for granted my buddies in Ga.bowfishing rigs when they would take me years ago..Never thought to ask How , what ,when and where... Only reason I was thinking batteries because I have a connection in that industry...However these Big Mouth carp are everywhere at my hunting club on the Mississippi.. Is there such thing as a cheap Honda used generator?

Offline countrygirl

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 02:50:00 PM »
Joe,the Honda is the way to go but I flounder gig using a Marine trolling motor battery and three 60 watt 12 volt bulbs that you can get at a marina or at an RV dealer and the bettery will last about 5 hours. I have one rigged to go under water and the other two are clamp- on work lights that you can get anywhere. That - bay place has used Hondas for about 350 or so and also you may want to look at The yamahas becaue I hear good things about them too. Tom
"Gator n 'Dilla Killah"

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 03:06:00 PM »
Joe....get ahold of Mark Land....he might be able to give you some tips as well.

Here's his email......

[email protected]

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 03:14:00 PM »
Dang! TG ! Why does my boat have Muzzy written on it! I think Mark L. and David Waldrop invented Ga Bowfishing..Biggie was around there too but he couldn't stay awake   :D

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2007, 05:35:00 PM »
How about LED lights?  Wouldn't they last much, much longer?  Is there a light out with LEDs that would work?
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2007, 05:45:00 PM »
Couldn't stay awake? You drug me to Cairo Ga for a traditional bowhunters meeting then we went to Seminole for a few hours,till midnight, left there and went to West Point, got there at 3am, shot fish till daylight then drove all the way back home.....I think you were asleep 1st...just cause I was driving you get upset cause I fell asleep?
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2007, 05:54:00 PM »
I run 6-500 watt hallogen lights with a small generator. I tried the battery technique way back. It was a flop. I couldn't keep a battery big enough to run much light for any time at all. You can rig your boat with lights and AC power for under $600. I did and we've shot tons of fish off the crude set-up. Good luck! CK

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2007, 06:26:00 PM »
One early morning on the way back home from an all night bow fishing excursion, I woke up and asked Biggie " dang this Hwy 27 sure has gotten rough!" Biggie said " I hadn't noticed I've been a sleep" Biggie was driving !     :scared:     He had cleaned out a mile of ditch between Columbus and LaGrange Ga.

I'm taking the hint the battery will not work no matter how big...I can get a really big one but I don't know how much amps average light pull per hour.  I'm with you Littlefeather...600 and under! crude and simple

Offline robslifts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2007, 07:16:00 PM »
i use 4 lights on two seperate batteries they are baja 12v lights and they work fine pm me for more info
St. Joe River Bows

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2007, 08:42:00 PM »
Grady "Gator" had a neat setup on his boat, I didn't see it working but he said it worked fine.
He made a wood frame (you could use a cut down palet), mounted a B&S side shaft engine.  Pulley on the shaft, hooked with a fan belt to a big alternator for a car.  Mounted the engine, generator to the same framework.  Wa-la, he ran the lights off the alternator.
You can get generators at the junkyard for cheeeep.  
Dan

Offline southernarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2007, 08:46:00 PM »
I find the high pressure sodium lights much better.Alot more lumens,with less wattage.
"We do this for fun, but we aren't playing"

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2007, 09:11:00 PM »
SouthernA...how many amps does the HPS pull an hour? I read on another bowfishing site someone said to use this....What brand /watt  light do you use and how many?  thanks

Offline ToddinBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2007, 11:33:00 PM »
I have six 150 watt Rab HPS lights running off a 3500 watt generator. I replaced 6 500watt halogens with the HPS. It is like night and day. They cost alot but well worth it if you go alot.  the 150's need about 4 amps to charge and then drop to around 2 amps after warm up.    

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©