3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Arguement FOR Heavy Bows  (Read 23551 times)

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Arguement FOR Heavy Bows
« Reply #140 on: August 25, 2012, 02:21:00 AM »
You say you can build 10 pounds of muscle in 2 months?
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: August 26, 2012, 12:41:00 AM »
Going back to the original question posted here.

You can either do it, or you can't.

You can either not try. . .

. . .or you can see what your body was designed to do.

It's about as simple as that.

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: August 26, 2012, 10:55:00 AM »
When I started shooting recurve I had 40# limbs. When I worked up to 50# limbs, the speed difference was really nice, I would like to go higher. I will never want to go lighter.  I used the heavy bowfit and a lot of stretching to get me there.  But the question is what weight can I shoot ACCURATELY? Everyone has a different answer.
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: August 26, 2012, 11:08:00 AM »
Very simply, I want to shoot a heavy arrow as fast as I can, so that if I am off the mark just a bit ie into a shoulder, I want it to still penetrate. I shoot as much as I can accurately!

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: August 26, 2012, 03:29:00 PM »
The only thing I hate about a fast bow is that it forces my head down too much towards the nock at full draw. So I dog'em down a little with heavier heads for approx. 11- 12gpp. With most commercially available wood shafts or front loaded carbons, 750-850g is about as much arrow weight I can build with out going to extremes. 70# bow shooting 12gpp, watch out now.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: August 26, 2012, 05:34:00 PM »
Great thread!....  :campfire:

Offline charles m

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: August 27, 2012, 08:26:00 AM »
Glad to see some folks giving out real info on sensible training and common sense.

Not to glad to see some folks touting wreckless behavior in training.  Maybe we are finding out who the real wanna-be is.

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: August 27, 2012, 09:17:00 AM »
the penetration of a heavy arrow (700 grains plus) from a heavy bow really has to be seen to be believed.....

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: August 27, 2012, 09:43:00 AM »
There's been some great advice here and I'm chomping at the bit to get my hands on a heavy Hill Style to start training with..... I just wish that something would come up on the classifieds.

Thanks for the input everyone, glad I posted this thread and that so many have volunteered their insight!
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: August 27, 2012, 11:40:00 AM »
Thanks for the alerts guys,  no sense in someone  making fun of others, and labeling them, that offered up safe and legitimate ways to train, nor does it make sense to proclaim a 'grip it and rip it' macho man mentality that could cause someone injury.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline ericmerg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: August 27, 2012, 01:04:00 PM »
rossco i sent you a pm on an 80# hillstyle
any animal you see posted that i say i personally harvested was eaten

" if you have to question if your bow will work you dont have enough bow"

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #151 on: August 28, 2012, 02:56:00 PM »
Another benefit of a heavy bow/arrow combination is a product of the increased penetration.  Everyone strives to have sharp broadheads, but some are more fanatical than others.  If you are shooting a heavier setup, you can get away with file or wheelie sharpened in almost all cases.  This is great if you use your arrows for shooting squirrels, armadillos, multiple hogs, etc.. and want to field sharpen without the hassle of having to haul your KME sharpener with you into the field.

« Reply #152 on: August 28, 2012, 03:39:00 PM »
Age, diet, and general health have a lot to do with how much strength one can build and maintain.  A young person that has a good protein and green vegetable diet will do better than someone that lives on soda pop and fast food crap. The older we get the more careful we need to be about how much draw weight we can maintain and how we exercise to keep the strength levels up. For me right now, I can shoot a 65 pound bow of either hand all day, but when I tried my 78 pound lefty for about 80 shots, I got sloppy and found myself struggling a bit.  I made the same mistake with my heavier right hander a while back.  One needs to know how much weight one can manage after sitting idol for a period.  When I hunted with 90 pound bows, I made a few practice draws about every five or ten minutes to keep warmed up and loose. That has its advantages, if someone has a bow that is super easy to draw, loosening up with practice draws is easy to forget to do, when drawing on a 25 yard shot at a buck it is not a good time to be reminded that one is cold and stiff.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: August 28, 2012, 05:21:00 PM »
Mr. Dean, I would love to  be able to shoot 80 shots with a 78# bow when I am retired.  You are doing awesome.

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: August 28, 2012, 05:41:00 PM »
I need to add that I am not a 3d shooter.  I shot one round with my 70+ and was tired at the end.  I am not physically built to pull that much weight for long periods but I sure as hell can do it a couple dozen.....easily.

Don't be a hero...listen to your body.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #155 on: August 28, 2012, 05:47:00 PM »
SUCCESS! Just picked up my first 'heavier bow' off the classifieds earlier today. It's a 68@27 Schulz Granpa - exactly what I was after!

Thanks to Tippit for offering me the opportunity to take it off his hands for him.

Can't wait to get my hands on it and get to work on this new challenge. Thanks for all the adice gents!
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: August 28, 2012, 10:58:00 PM »
Great advice here guys, take it slow when starting, listen to your body and most importantly to me: HAVE FUN!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: August 29, 2012, 09:42:00 AM »
:campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #158 on: August 29, 2012, 10:23:00 AM »
Switched back to shooting longbows again this year. I'm having a great time and shooting them better than ever.

I have a Howard Hill Big Five that's been on the rack for too long. It's 80# at my draw and has just been too heavy for a lot of years.  

About a month or so ago I got it down and strung it up... just about piddled getting that done.
Flexing it I had a hard time believing how easy it had been to shoot all those years ago. I vowed to shoot it again.    

At first I could only move the string a few inches. Gradually I got to a 12" draw, then 20". I never strained or tried to force it trying to draw because at 65 years of age I don't intend hurt myself. I also always did my "workout" AFTER shooting my regular weight bow for warm up.

Last night I got the bow back to within an inch of anchor and the draw is becoming much more natural.

I'm allowing myself to release the arrow now and expect full draw in a week or two.

My point is whether you are building up to 50 or 60 or whatever. Slow and steady will get the job done.

I may not hunt with the heavy bow again, but I can tell you my shooting with my regular weight bow has gotten better and easier.
       :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline ericmerg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #159 on: August 29, 2012, 01:50:00 PM »
80# sure is stiff aint it charlie? it does get easier pretty quick with dedication ( speaking of i need to string up my 80 and do my workouts...)
any animal you see posted that i say i personally harvested was eaten

" if you have to question if your bow will work you dont have enough bow"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©