3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Arguement FOR Heavy Bows  (Read 23567 times)

Offline wapitirod

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Arguement FOR Heavy Bows
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2012, 01:42:00 AM »
I used to shoot lighter bows but like others I've found that in general I shoot the heavier bows better.  I have a cleaner release and the flatter trajectory helps increase my effective range as I shoot true instinctive with no gap aiming other aiming methods.
89' Brackenbury Drifter 72# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 66# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 72# @27

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.- John Wayne

Offline ericmerg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2012, 01:46:00 AM »
im a better shot with my 72# recurve then i am with my 80# longbow and a better shot with my 72# recurve then my 55# longbow
any animal you see posted that i say i personally harvested was eaten

" if you have to question if your bow will work you dont have enough bow"

Offline Mongo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2012, 02:56:00 AM »
Shooting a heavy makes me practice much more to stay in shape and launch accurate arrows.

There is nothing like putting a 160gr Snuffer through anything I shoot at.

I tend to focus on my target more and bore a hole into the spot.

Last and most importantly is the fact that I am confident in my setup (been shooting 87# since 1984).
If God didn't want man to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2012, 06:26:00 AM »
this topic comes up many times a year at least, and the obvious answer is to stop thinking about it and just use the heaviest holding weight bow (at YOUR draw length) that you can comfortably, confidently and most accurately shoot under hunting conditions.  amen.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2012, 07:44:00 AM »
At one of his demonstrations, I asked Byron Ferguson what weight he shot and why.  He said he had a sloppy release and the heavier draw weight gave him a cleaner release.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2012, 08:31:00 AM »
For me, like others, I just like heavier bows better. Grew up shooting an old recurve starting at age 18. The bow pulled 90# but I never knew that until years later.

I have never had good results with light bows. Not on game anyway. Too hard to make that switch.

Just my opinion. SPend the time it takes to develop the strength to pull a heavy bow.

justin
Hill

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2012, 10:00:00 AM »
For me, increased accuracy with heavy bows comes from what I percieve as 'lock time' - a concept borrowed from target firearms shooters. The faster the hammer falls and the primer is struck, the faster the bullet's out of the barrel and the less chance for shooter error to affect the bullet's flight. It seems to me, my arrow is away and clear of the bow before (some) of my shooting imperfections come fully into play.
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Offline UrbanDeerSlayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2012, 10:31:00 AM »
Good thread.  I recently re-entered traditional shooting this year after a few decades from the last time I shot a trad bow.  Defying conventional wisdom I purchased a 50# recurve. I really did not have much difficulty with this weight and can anchor and hold while aiming on target.  I am intriqued by heavier bows and am having one made in the mid to upper 50's now. I feel more comfortable with a little extra KE/momentum if something goes wrong with my shot on a whitetail or other game. My goal is to work up to the 60 - 70# range.  But that being said, I have nothing against lighter set ups. My wife and daughters are set up with ultralite bows in order to learn and enjoy the experience. THat's what is important!
Shoot Straight, Feel Great!

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2012, 10:52:00 AM »
For me, it is about when things DON'T go as planned. If at the moment I release an animal takes a step or moves in a manner that now makes my perfect shot, not so perfect. I like knowing that I have the reserve energy to make the shot count. If I hit bone I still want an exit wound for obvious reasons. Additionally, I like that I can take a follow up shot if available. While I would never take an initial shot at an animal on a poor angle. If I hit the animal and can follow up with another shot to dispatch the animal quickly I can take that shot on a less than ideal angle and know I am going to get to the vitals.

I want to get close, I want to make the perfect shot. But in the field, when it counts, I like the added confidence I feel with a heavy setup. Yes, I have to shoot pretty much daily to maintain the ability to shoot heavy. My shooting fingers stay sore and my targets do not last as long but all in all I think it is worth it, or at least it is to me.

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2012, 10:57:00 AM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:
this topic comes up many times a year at least, and the obvious answer is to stop thinking about it and just use the heaviest holding weight bow (at YOUR draw length) that you can comfortably, confidently and most accurately shoot under hunting conditions.  amen.
Rob, I have to say. I usually do not agree with your comments on this subject. I think I have even  voiced as much a time or two but I am also man enough to step up and say you hit the nail on the head here!!!  You put it very simply and matter of factly. Thank you!

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2012, 12:07:00 PM »
Thanks for the responses guys, please keep them coming. Again, I'm not interested in starting a 'heavy vs light' arguement, I'm just interested to hear what it is that keeps guys shooting the 'plus weight bow'. For me if you're ethical, legal and having fun its all good.

I'm shooting mid-50s now, how did you guys work into the heavier weights?
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline foudarme

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2012, 03:01:00 PM »
heavy bows are much more forgiving with poor releases...cause the heavy limbs have always a stronger torsional stability than the lighters...you can notice it especially on the floppy designed limbs bows'...I have had limbs whose I don't say the name which were delightful to shoot between 60# and 80# and difficult at 47# cause of their very poor torsional stability (and my poor release also       :bigsmyl:    )

Offline atatarpm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2012, 03:11:00 PM »
The heavier I get te better I like it. As time goes on I find all the afore mentions advantages to heavier bows come in. In my own journey it has gone from 40 to 50 to 60 to 70 and now to 80. And I don't know if it will stop there or not. The learning curve to this point has been a wonderful journey for me and if it keeps going as the weight goes up then I will keep going up in weight.
Ric
Atatarpm   "Traditional Archery is a mastery of one's self ; not of things."
71# Qarbon Nano
67# T2 Blacktail
85lbs Bama
100lbs Bama
60lbs Big D's Long Bow

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2012, 04:08:00 PM »
I shoot heavy because as an adult with 3 little kids, and a full time job I often have to chose between the 3d range or the gym due to family obligations. My one and only bow is a 115# Hill and when I can chose just one activity, I still feel as if I am getting a workout.

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2012, 04:14:00 PM »
Wow Wade! You could cut that bow down the middle and still have two mid-weights to shoot! Lol
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2012, 04:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rossco7002:
 I'm just interested to hear what it is that keeps guys shooting the 'plus weight bow'.
because we can.  :goldtooth:

Offline AWPForester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2012, 04:23:00 PM »
Cleaner release, flatter cast, harder hitting and muscle form becomes better.  what I mean is you have to pull with your back.

I tend to hold my anchor for several seconds but I don't shoot what anyone would consider a real heavy bow either.  My heaviset is in the mid 60, which I shoot the best probably.  I have a widow in the low 50 that I shoot well too but I notice after 15-20 shots my mind wanders when shooting the lighter bows.  I guess it is boredom because the trajectory of the arrow is not nearly as entertaining. My .02 worth.  God Bless
Psalm 25:3 Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: Let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.

Offline Mike Yancey

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2012, 05:10:00 PM »
I have shot a bow since I was 3 years old and always worked up to as heavy as I could shoot. Selfbow, glass or recurve for me today @ 51 years old 60-65 lbs @ 26'' is the best shooting bow for me in all types of bows.

I don't care what bow you shoot or what weight or what broadhead, you shoot what works for you but for me and hunting I have always got better arrow flight and shot placement with a heavy weight bow. It is easier for me to picture a straight line and get that type of arrow flight from me to the spot on the animal with a 60 lb bow.

Everyone thinks that his choice is the best and Im not saying mine is, but it is for me in the way I hunt and shoot. I think you should go as heavy as you can go not as light as you think you can get away with. Dead is dead no matter how fast it got there or went through, just that for me heavy is better.
Mike

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2012, 05:19:00 PM »
Hybrid, I'm shooting a gn super ghost w

What are you shooting that shoots an 800 gr arrow 185 fps @ 66#?  

The ACS?

Whatever it is I want one in 90#....

Though the bulls I shot with 54# self bow are still pretty dead to this day.  :)
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2012, 07:42:00 PM »
What strikes me as funny is that the heavy shooters I know do not go into the "light bow" threads to tell people shooting under "X" pounds that they are unethical. Personally, I say if you are shooting at or above the minimum requirements where you hunt then have at it.

However, everytime a heavy thread is started it ends up getting torpedoed by people that want to tell us:

1)How foolish we are if we shoot heavy bows.
or
2)How we are either trying to make up for lack of skill or want to show off our "Man card" as I saw it recently referred to.

Why do I shoot heavy?

Because I can!
Because I want to!
Because I ENJOY and have fun doing it!
Because I feel more confident with a heavy setup!
Because 1 day I hope to have the opportunity to pursue a game animal where I might need it.

and one more comes to mind:

I have never seen a MAXIMUM draw weight restriction written in game laws anywhere!

The original poster asked for the arguement FOR heavy bows and yet the thread goes down the same road of arguing why NOT to.

:banghead:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©