3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Arguement FOR Heavy Bows  (Read 23541 times)

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Arguement FOR Heavy Bows
« Reply #200 on: September 21, 2012, 03:29:00 PM »
I have bows of several weights to choose from.  At my draw, they are about 47#, 48#, 65#, 68#, and 78#.  I enjoy shooting my 47#-er most, because I like that bow the most.  But I have also been shooting the 68#-er, a recurve.  Although I shoot it very little, I can pick it up and shoot it more consistently and accurately... due to the heavier weight forcing a cleaner release, and in my case, because I think I don't overdraw it like I think I do the lighter bows.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #201 on: September 21, 2012, 03:31:00 PM »
Love that signature line, Archie!  Nothing like a good bit of sarcasm!   :laughing:

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #202 on: September 21, 2012, 03:34:00 PM »
Thanks, Luke!  I still chuckle when I read it myself!
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #203 on: September 21, 2012, 07:46:00 PM »
I am in a tree with my 95# Rogue for the first time today. Nice and warm out, and I was shooting it pretty well earlier today.   Hope somethin gives me a chance to use it.  I am only now, after around a year with this bow, at a point that I feel safe to hunt with it.

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #204 on: September 21, 2012, 08:35:00 PM »
Good luck Pat!
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #205 on: September 22, 2012, 02:01:00 PM »
Thanks for all the alerts guys..... I cleaned it up.

:campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #206 on: September 23, 2012, 09:28:00 AM »
I guess some folks just have a hard time reading and understanding the title of this thread.      :(      :(      :(      

Thanks again guys for the emails.....we are going to keep this topic on topic.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline charles m

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #207 on: September 24, 2012, 09:41:00 AM »
How about some pics of some heavy bows and bow kills guys?

Offline atatarpm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #208 on: September 26, 2012, 07:07:00 AM »
I see I see. one week in a hotel, one week on a ship, one more week in another hotel, and one week traveling and I could not pull my 70lbs bow for another week. Had to work back into it.
Atatarpm   "Traditional Archery is a mastery of one's self ; not of things."
71# Qarbon Nano
67# T2 Blacktail
85lbs Bama
100lbs Bama
60lbs Big D's Long Bow

Offline Igor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #209 on: September 26, 2012, 07:46:00 AM »
I've been recently shooting a long bow that is about 70# at my draw length a least couple times a week (mostly) weekends as part of my routine (usually shoot at least 4 times a week and try to make it to the gym on the other 3 days). When I do that I warm up with a bow fit exerciser and then shoot the Heavier bow 20-30 times - my middle weight bow 30+ and then my lightest bow 40+ times. What I've found is that my draw strength has improved - don't struggle with the heavy bow any more and my ability to draw and hold/shoot the lighter bows has improved dramatically. Also my accuracy has improved from what I believe is better form because I had to improve in that area to shoot the heavier bow with any degree of accuracy where I could be sloppier with the lighter bows in the past.

I'm 60years old next spring and about 170lbs...

><>>
Glenn
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding In all your ways submit to him and he will direct your paths

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #210 on: September 26, 2012, 08:03:00 AM »
I have also found that since picking up my first 'heavier bow' at the beginning of the month my form has been forced to improve greatly and I'm using my back more than ever before. I have moved into the new weight fairly easily and my accuracy has improved across the board as an added bonus.
HHA Half Breed 52@28

Offline Forrest Halley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #211 on: September 26, 2012, 09:35:00 AM »
Originally posted by atatarpm:
I see I see. one week in a hotel, one week on a ship, one more week in another hotel, and one week traveling and I could not pull my 70lbs bow for another week. Had to work back into it.
I shoot mainly around 100# bows and own a few 50# bows also. I recently went on a round the world voyage for work and was away from my bows for 100 days. I exercised several times a week with a 30# kettle bell in hopes of lessening the recovery curve to full strength. I must report that I am stronger than I was and last night upon arriving home I had no trouble pulling the 100# bow to full draw. There was a little shake, but nothing a week of practice can't cure.
"Great strength is not necessary to shoot a heavy bow, it is but a byproduct of the dedication required."

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #212 on: September 26, 2012, 07:11:00 PM »
Interesting thread guys...I shot 65lbs for many years and with a 30+" draw and my favorite 650gr cedars was quite confident I could kill whatever I shot at...Since I only hnt whitetails I didn't need all the weight.

So for the past 6-7 years I've shot bows in the low 50s.. Recently I took out an old home made 67pounder and although I tired after a dozen or so arrows, I'm sure I could build back up to it in short order.

I just don't know why I would since i'm only hunting whitetails and I have a hard time picking a spot on anything much past 25 yds away..

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #213 on: September 26, 2012, 08:07:00 PM »
John, I started this thread to see what guys enjoyed about shooting heavier draw weights and got plenty of great answers. For me, I hunt deer but always like to be ready for a last minute moose hunt if the opportunity presents but my bows were all of satisfactory weight for that eventuality.... When all was said and done it was the challenge that appealed most but I also discovered some unexpected benefits like better form and a cleaner release on the way....
HHA Half Breed 52@28

Offline Forrest Halley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #214 on: September 26, 2012, 09:09:00 PM »
To answer the OP:
I like the cleaner release I get from the increased draw weight. I'm marginally more accurate with the heavies than the lighter bows. I agree with the poster that reasoned this is because of the increased practice on the road to getting comfy with it. I also like the idea of a one bow being able to tackle many different sizes of game. It's pretty amazing how much energy is retained (and distance is covered)after striking the ground while stumping giving high confidence in the penetration ability of the setup.
"Great strength is not necessary to shoot a heavy bow, it is but a byproduct of the dedication required."

Offline jtwalsh62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #215 on: September 27, 2012, 05:24:00 PM »
ttt
jt walsh
 be still and listen

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #216 on: September 27, 2012, 06:39:00 PM »
Pat i loved shooting your 78# Morrison Gen3 longbow at Stonewall!!!  Dont forget i got dibbs on that dude & the Thunder Child!!!
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline UrbanDeerSlayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #217 on: September 28, 2012, 09:14:00 PM »
I have worked my way up to shooting 58# fairly comfortably, and have been toying with 65# lately.  I find the heavier bows more accurate to shoot as my release is cleaner and the cast allows more foregiveness with ranging errors.  Plus it just hits so hard how can you not enjoy shooting a heavy bow!!
Shoot Straight, Feel Great!

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #218 on: September 29, 2012, 09:30:00 PM »
Barry, you shot that Morrison ILF very well.  As you know, I have trouble parting with my bows, lol.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #219 on: September 29, 2012, 09:43:00 PM »
I normally shoot bows in the mid-50's because of shoulder injuries that ultimately resulted in extensive surgery almost 7 years ago. But when hunting buffalo, a bow in the 70 pound range is about the minimum most of us think is required. This year I again began the months of building to get back to shooting a 70 pound bow for another buffalo hunt in Australia. It took about 3 months to get comfortable again at that weight. As long as my strength is good and fatigue has not set in, I can shoot a 70 pound bow more accurately than my normal weight bows. I shoot best with a hold of several seconds at my anchor point, so I have to be stronger than if I were "snap shooting." The stability of the incredibly strong limbs of my new Shrew Safari, along with the stability of my body being held firmly in place by the higher forces and the clean release of the string being ripped from my fingers all lend themselves to consistent form, arrow flight and shot placement. My heavy arrows fly like darts, especially when they weigh 1000 grains, with 500 of that in the brass insert and broadhead. I would like to have shoulders healthy enough to shoot a 70 pound bow all the time, but that's asking too much from this 60 year old, torn up body. Although I don't seem to be doing too much additional damage to my shoulders when shooting heavier bows, they feel sore after every long shooting session using more than about 60 pounds, so I'm sure the added poundage isn't doing my joints a lot of good. I love my heavier bows and recognize that for hunting some animals there simply is no option other than stepping up to more poundage that can launch heavy arrows at reasonable speeds.

I'm glad I'm not left-handed so I am not tempted to try to shoot Patrick Kelly's much heavier bows when we are together at the range!!!

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©