3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Arguement FOR Heavy Bows  (Read 23528 times)

Offline BuckeyeGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Arguement FOR Heavy Bows
« Reply #280 on: February 27, 2014, 11:10:00 AM »
Only ever hunted with my 56# Assenheimer or 55# Mojostick.  Never shot anything heavier but would like to try!

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #281 on: February 27, 2014, 11:48:00 AM »
Just started working out with my 68 pound limbs after reading this thread yesterday!
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #282 on: February 27, 2014, 12:38:00 PM »
I have found this thread to very interesting as well... I have a few bows that are all in the 50# range. These bows with 10gpp 15%foc will zip thru a broadside deer or the size of hogs that I normally shoot (100lb or less).

I have been seeing a couple huge barr (castrated) hogs that are hanging out together. I picked up a Big Jim TC 78# with those barr hogs in mind.

As luck would have it my family and I got T-boned by an 18 wheeler that ran a red light. We are all banged up but we will be fine (Lord willing). My shooting as come to a halt as a result of our accident, which really stinks because I pretty much had those barrs number.

I have barred many hogs over the years and they will get huge. I am still a little concerned if I will be under bowed for some of the huge ones.

Hopefully I'll get going again before it starts to get hot and we'll see what a 78# bow will do to the big ones  :)  

Be safe and shoot straight!!!

Offline BAPilot2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #283 on: February 27, 2014, 12:54:00 PM »
I picked up a Root Recurve a few weeks ago that is 85 lbs @ 28".  I bought a new string and have been playing with the bow for a couple of weeks.

At first I found the bow to be almost unbearable to draw and shoot.  Gradually I have gotten stronger, and use to the increased resistance, and I am now able to come to full draw / anchor.  I now shoot this bow 40 - 50 shots almost daily and it seems that my form and release has improved.  (My theory is... You have to have good form and engage the back muscles in order to come to anchor when using heavy bows otherwise your frame will completely collapse and you will injure yourself.  However, you must gradually work up to it.)

That being said... After shooting the 85 lb bow it makes all my other bows draw weights seem like I'm shooting kids bows.  The bow I shoot the most has a 60 lb draw and now it feels like a 30 pounder.  So, I like the idea of heavy weight bows!

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #284 on: February 27, 2014, 03:44:00 PM »
That's true, I also like how an 85# bow delivers an 800 grain arrow... impressively.

Offline BAPilot2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #285 on: February 27, 2014, 03:56:00 PM »
As of yet I haven't really worked up an arrow specifically for my 85 lb bow.  I have three GT Expedition Hunter 7595 arrows that I am playing with but all my shooting is basically blind bale and or 10 yd shooting.  I'm still concentrating on conditioning and maintaining form as I grow stronger and develop more endurance.  Before too much longer I will work up some arrows that will be hunting and general purpose arrows.  

The guys at my Sportsman's club think I'm nuts for wanting to shoot the bow.  I think it's fun!

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #286 on: February 27, 2014, 04:04:00 PM »
Really Great thread, Thanks for the resurrection.
I have always advocated that you hunt with the highest poundage (within reason) that you can shoot without effecting your accuracy.
God bless you all, Steve

« Reply #287 on: February 28, 2014, 10:53:00 PM »
what is a heavy bow    shot 3 moose with the follong   58# jack howard  -   not a great hit but only went 30 yards --  took another arrow
2nd  70 pound bear grizzly -   close  shot a bit far back --  went 50 yards - dead ---  3 rd
62 #   Val Sorentiono 1959k replica  35 yds + -  
hind quarter hit as he was moving --  went 60 yards--   dead--    
A heavy bow makes up for a bad or marginal hit-
The last bull- the arrow went right through H Q    all moose were shot with Bear Razor Heads--  first two no bleader blade =--  last one was with !   Jerry Pierce use to use 70 # at 29" + used wool - two blade Journeyman BH --  all pass throughs--  he shot lots of big deer-  he said  he   could not shoot a lighter bow--  when he tried - he said he went home and cut the limbs off the bow, I have the handle for proof--  
just my two cents--   RT

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #288 on: March 01, 2014, 08:59:00 AM »
Great to see this back up again! I have progressed into shooting heavier bows since posting my initial question and I've noticed that while there is always give and take involved with deciding on draw weight there's one thing you can't argue against when it comes to the heavies - THEY ARE FUN TO SHOOT!!! lol

Challenge and fun are what it's all about for me.
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #289 on: March 01, 2014, 09:59:00 AM »
BAPilot2...It takes discipline and determination to learn to shoot heavier bows properly. You are doing it exactly right.

I spent many years hunting with 80# bows and like my old friend Jerry Pierce didn't shoot lighter poundage as accurately... but I didn't cut the limbs off of any bows.

I've literally shot through bear and deer end to end. That is pretty normal for a 700 gr. arrow traveling at 200 fps.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #290 on: March 07, 2014, 08:05:00 PM »
Harder to get a good release wit a lighter bow mho
Arrow_Flynn

Offline ironmike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #291 on: March 07, 2014, 08:50:00 PM »
i've got some heavies, but 72 pounds seams to give us the biggest bang for the buck..the 85 and 90 are only 5 or 10 fps faster, not a lot of gain over 75#'s..but i still like shooting them!

Offline bowfanatik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #292 on: March 08, 2014, 04:50:00 AM »
You shoot better heavy bow , me to . But if you want to know how are you good archer-shooter take 35# bow and shoot and you will see . I agree with some statement here , shoot heviest bow you can shoot accurately
PerunH 60"

Shoot a lot and keep it simple

Offline sj_lutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #293 on: March 08, 2014, 09:40:00 AM »
I'll agree with the smoother release from a heavier bow.  I'm pulling right around 54-55 with my newest bow, the others I have are 5-10 lbs lighter.  It feels much more solid at anchor, not mushy, and that has indeed translated to a better release for me.  I'm already considering getting a set of 60lb limbs for the bow (a Widow PCH).

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #294 on: March 08, 2014, 02:45:00 PM »
If I could really shoot #70, then I would, just for the extra power for hunting.  Outside of hunting, it doesn't matter.  I am more accurate with a heavier bow than a lighter one (if I'm strong enough)
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Offline Richie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #295 on: March 08, 2014, 02:55:00 PM »
Ive just recently started shooting a 70# hybrid lb (actually 65# @ my draw). I love this weight , Ive tried to shoot my 50# lb since and it just seems like a kids bow. I'm liking the heavier bow a lot .
Once a Marine always a Marine, Semper Fi

Offline arrowlauncherdj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #296 on: March 09, 2014, 02:18:00 PM »
This brings up an interesting quandary... If one were to have a multi poundage stable of bows Starting around 35-40 lb for form work and then jump in 10lb increments laying that perfect form and release down as you progressed winding up at 70 lb or so, it might make for a very confident and accurate shooter. I think I made a mistake jumping into 50lb bows just bc I can hold one all day. I shoot 60 now bc I feel it is the best compromise for me as far as heavy vs light goes for aiming and crisp release. But maybe I should get more bows and "train" with them light to heavier, as stated above, I may still stick with 60 for hunting but have a 70 for strength training.

Dave

« Reply #297 on: March 09, 2014, 07:09:00 PM »
It would probably be best if one did not hunt with one's max draw.  I could draw 150 a number of times and ways with both sides.  I worked out with 128 , I never hunted with more than 90.  I believe if one can handle 80 at a target one could confidently hunt with 65.

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #298 on: March 10, 2014, 02:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by pavan:
I could draw 150 a number of times and ways with both sides.  
Damn, you should have went for the world record

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #299 on: March 10, 2014, 03:15:00 PM »
Didn't read all the reply's and I'm sure its been spoken but when I get too light in poundage my grip arm isn't as anchored as when I shoot a little heavier. It's like my aiming arm is floating around and is less accurate when I don't have enough weight in my grip.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©