3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Arguement FOR Heavy Bows  (Read 23529 times)

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Arguement FOR Heavy Bows
« Reply #300 on: March 10, 2014, 09:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by KentuckyTJ:
Didn't read all the reply's and I'm sure its been spoken but when I get too light in poundage my grip arm isn't as anchored as when I shoot a little heavier. It's like my aiming arm is floating around and is less accurate when I don't have enough weight in my grip.
I have this same effect with a light poundage bow.  I tend to push my bow arm too far forward and this puts the bow shoulder up vs. low and back.  I am shooting a recurve that is 61# @ 27.5" my draw length.  I believe this is the heaviest bow I have ever shot for any time.  

I had a longbow that was about 68# but it blew up before I shot it anytime at all.  Fred Bear hunted with 65# for most of everything, and I think that would be the ideal bow weight for most people with an average draw length.  65# and a 650 grain arrow.  You would be at the heavy bone penetration threshold based on Ashby's research.    

Many moons ago, when shooting 3D tournaments was my main interest I shot 46# on a longbow.  I shot locked out, overdraw, and sink into the shot.  I never liked the penetration I got on game with the bows I shot, even with 3:1 broadheads.  I took game in the past, just really wanted more onboard if things don't go perfect.      

I really like today the feel of the 61#.  My only interest in several years is only in taking game with a bow.    

Paul Schafer form.  He just looks like he is in CONTROL of the bow!       :thumbsup:  

Longbows & Short Shots

Offline bendotwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #301 on: March 11, 2014, 12:04:00 AM »
I shoot a 70.  I consider it the middle ground in bow weight.  70 and up I consider heavy, 70 and down is light.  I shoot it because I like heavy arrows going fast, because I find I have better form and better releases with it, because I'm a testosterone filled teenager who likes the power, and because I can.  

I initially found it hard to draw, but I practice every day so in a few weeks I could shoot it just fine.  Not it feels very comfy, I can draw and hold it while sitting, and when I first wake up in the morning, this makes me pretty sure I can draw it when I'm cold and stiff.  The next bow I make is gonna be a 100#, just because I can.  I doubt I'll hunt with it, it will just be for training with and for funsies, and because I cansies.
Bama Bows Hunter 68'' #56@28''

Bama Bows Hunter 66'' 70#@28''

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #302 on: March 11, 2014, 03:46:00 PM »
I am continuing to enjoy this thread. When it first began, I would have listed 65# as the beginning point of a "heavy" bow for no specific reason, just an arbitrary number. I have now come to believe that it is totally a relative number, relative to what an individual archer can handle at any given time. Consequently, for some 50# may be considered "heavy" as it is the max poundage the individual can currently handle. As form and conditioning improve, "heavy" may increase for that same individual.

It is very true that most people can develop the ability to shoot, with ease and full control considerably heavier equipment. Then, the individual will be able to determine definitively if this heavier bow adds any improvements to his shooting/hunting effectiveness, thus eliminating any guesswork. In short it is all relative to the individual.

What I am most glad to see is that nearly all proponents of heavy bows most strongly stress a planned and gradual physical workout to develop the physical capacity needed to shoot them. There is a lot of both practical and philosophical discussion here, all of which centers on performing more effectively as archers and hunters.

I have now begun to handle my 65# bow for a few arrows at a time following my archery caused shoulder injury in 2012. Man, I wish I had read some of the training info posted here before I started trying to shoot my 78# bow again. At that time I "thought" I was doing O.K., but I wasn't ready, which has really cost me.
Sam

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #303 on: March 11, 2014, 10:34:00 PM »
Currently the number is 45 pounds, but that doesn't mean I'm content there.  Every day I push my chair my arms get stronger, as does my back.  It's all translating to draw weight.  Going back to a thumb ring also made a huge difference in my drawing ability.  I'm hoping to move up to 50 soon, to a goal of 75.  75 from a wheelchair should be reachable-if I get it I'll decide if I'll try for any higher.

I still shoot with light weight bows though-if you get all the steps right for clean release there, it'll be just that much better on the heavier weights.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #304 on: March 13, 2014, 09:43:00 AM »
I only shoot heavy when required for hunting bug stuff. Of course my normal weight is 70#. If you are looking for nice heavy arrow combo I found that the FMJ Dangerous game shafts in 240 shoot great out of my 83# Morrison with 300grn up front. Skinny and strong and you need a good target to stop em!
hunt it

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #305 on: March 13, 2014, 10:00:00 AM »
Airdale,  Not necessarily.  I remember shooting as a member of the Paterson Long Bowmen Club back in the very late 40"s and early 50"s where we had members shooting bows in the 80# category.  I can remember one night when Ruben Hurricane Carter(#1  heavy weight contender) stopped by and tried to pull a member's 82# bow.  Try as he may, he never could do it. They shot these bows in the NFAA shoots and hunted with them without any problem.  Maybe not the norm but never say never.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #306 on: March 13, 2014, 12:52:00 PM »
Looks like this thread is getting off topic again.....folks aren't reading the whole thread and don't realize the info here. ....and that the argument is FOR heavy bows as in the title. ..not against.

I WILL Lock It Up And Clean It Up So It Remains On target...Pun intended.

:campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #307 on: September 26, 2014, 11:25:00 AM »
Sorry it took so long....after my surgery from a NON archery related reason, I'm back shooting 70# Bows...and have an 80#er here in my office I'm working out with that I got since this thread has been cleaned up yet again.

I told a guy who sold me a bow at a deal cause he seriously missed weight I was going to kill something with it....and I'm on my way, but no where near that yet.  I do have the bow in my office as a reminder of my promise.

I just want to make sure I wait till I'm a certain age when I do it....you know, for my birthday.    :D

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #308 on: September 26, 2014, 03:41:00 PM »
Thats one more reason, heavy bows are usually cheaper used....... picked up a 65# like new Hill Halfbreed for $275 and like new 70# limbs for my predator for $75...............
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #309 on: September 26, 2014, 03:46:00 PM »
Uh....yeah, I should have said 'bowyer'...he was working on a new design and made a wrong calculation.....a very sizable one.  So he sold it to me cheap.

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #310 on: September 26, 2014, 05:17:00 PM »
I did make 70 for hunting season, though I'm probably going to shoot 58-60 for a bit more stability after burning my arm so severely I scorched my muscle fascia.  If I can do it with an atrophied arm and a wheelchair half the time, anyone who wants to can do it.

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #311 on: September 26, 2014, 05:54:00 PM »
I decided to move up to #85 to start this season. The arrow for that bow is the best tuned arrow I've ever seen, and the broadheads are crazy sharp.
Thom

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #312 on: September 26, 2014, 10:38:00 PM »
I'm going with my 68# @ 31" limbs this season on my recurve.  Should pack way more wallop than I need, I know.  For some reason it just feels good to work out with the heavier limbs, and it feels better to shoot them too.

That weight isn't super heavy for me... I'd probably max out physically around 75#, but I don't think I'd ever need to go that heavy.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #313 on: September 27, 2014, 12:07:00 AM »
I think that 75# @ 31" would be an awesome setup, but even with 68#, that extra draw length would definitely be heavy enough for buff if you were so inclined.  Glad to see this at the top again.

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #314 on: September 27, 2014, 01:25:00 AM »
72# Dale Dye Recurve, 2219 arrows cut 29.5 and 175 grain WW Broadheads for my December hog hunt.
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #315 on: September 27, 2014, 02:06:00 PM »
I shoot bows from 64-70lb at 28" and draw 29".  I like the fact that if everything is not perfect, my setup will still work on animals.  I just feel more confident if I take out as many points of failure as possible.

I started a post like this years ago, it got nasty quick.

BAB
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #316 on: September 27, 2014, 11:12:00 PM »
glad to see this thread going again, I guess im lighter than most at 62 or so lb, hopin in a few more years I can still shoot my age in bow weight... but I do like the feel of holding some weight and the clean release... and the way it delivers a arrow...
       hey john, you still shooting jeffs old Robertson ? haven't seen ya around
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline atatarpm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #317 on: September 27, 2014, 11:42:00 PM »
Way to go Dave
Atatarpm   "Traditional Archery is a mastery of one's self ; not of things."
71# Qarbon Nano
67# T2 Blacktail
85lbs Bama
100lbs Bama
60lbs Big D's Long Bow

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #318 on: September 28, 2014, 02:10:00 PM »
Yes sir I am! I have Jeffs old 67#er and I liked it so much I bought a 70#er. Best bows I have. I don't think you can beat them for hunting. I have killed many a critter with the one I got off Jeff.
It sure is good to hear from you Dave.

BAB
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #319 on: September 29, 2014, 11:36:00 PM »
I know Terry has tweaked this thread a few times as it has gone astray a few times...  Which they usually do...  I've read through the thread a few times and have been reluctant to post, but finally will...

My most comfortable weight range is right around 70#...  But have hunted and killed game with bows from 57# - 92#... I've recently went to one style of bow for the interest of consistency with my shooting...  Some of what I would call "super heavy" bows have moved on...  I.E. bows over 90#...  

Actually just today I received a set of limbs that are 82# and spent the afternoon getting to know them.  750'ish grain Gold Tip that was/is nock and feathers to the target time and time again made it easy to shoot probably 200 plus arrows during the session...  82# sounds like a lot to some, but to me it was simply a setup with an arrow a little over 9 GPP...  Shot the same as my 62# bow with an arrow that is a little over 9 GPP...  Same point of aim, just hits harder...  

Is that setup needed for deer?  Probably not, but could it be needed for Elk, Moose, Bear, or if I'd be lucky enough in my life some of the African species?  Sure...  

I gear my setup for the task at hand...  Type of critter I'm chasing, weather conditions, and time of year...  When it's cold I tend to drop down in weight...  A lot easier to get back, and make an accurate shot after spending several hours on stand in cold temps...  And now that all, well mostly all of my bows are so similar (same make, grip, shooting characteristics, and cast), switching between different weight bows is a very smooth transition as long as GPP are the same or at least close...

Hunt smart, hunt hard, and use the best setup you can be accurate with for the game you're after...  If your honest best is a 40# bow or a 100# bow makes no mind to me...  Only you can be the judge of what is your best...
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©