3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Arguement FOR Heavy Bows  (Read 23521 times)

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Arguement FOR Heavy Bows
« Reply #320 on: September 30, 2014, 03:49:00 AM »
I have mostly hunted with heavy bows between 60# and 80#. It is quite necessary for bull camels and buffalo. I want a heavy arrow going as fast as possible. Right now I shoot and hunt buffalo with a 75# bow, and while it is going well, there are moments enough to make me seriously think about jumping up five or even ten pounds to get more penetration. I also have found that heavier bows are more forgiving of form or release errors.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #321 on: September 30, 2014, 12:18:00 PM »
I have been shooting around 70@28 for about 5 years now and have had great results.

1) Confidence...I don't doubt penetration ability
2) Arrow Flight...I don't have to compensate for drop as much as with a lighter set up
3) Bigger Broadheads make for cleaner kills and can make up for those bad shots(they happen)
4) I can hunt any game I want
5) I'll come right out and say it, I feel more manly shooting a heavy bow accurately  :)

That being said, ive made a change in my setup this year and have dropped to 59@28 and a shorter 58" set up for treestand hunting. I hope to have more maneuverability in the tree for odd angle shots and haven't had as much time to practice lately.

That being said, if I did more of my hunting from the ground I would keep the heavier set up.

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #322 on: September 30, 2014, 12:40:00 PM »
Like Mark and many others have already eluded to, I learned to bow hunt way back before compound days and good old Fred Bear told me to, "Shoot the heaviest bow you can handle accurately."  I figured he knew a lot ore than me so that's what I did and still do.  I really don't care what others shoot but I can't count the number of times people have called me after hitting a deer with light equipment and said the arrow just hung there because they hit a shoulder bone???  I USED TO AIM AT THE SHOULDER BONE!  I try to miss it now but I sure don't worry if I catch it.  I know I'm reaching the age when I will probably not be able to shoot the equipment I shoot now but at 61 I enjoy shooting 72# & 750 gr. arrows.

Offline Marshallrobinson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #323 on: September 30, 2014, 06:04:00 PM »
I will say this...

My wife has been struggling with her bow for some time and what I saw was that her errors vanished with a higher draw weight. Being independent, she didn't want to hear me saying that a higher weight was what she needed. Well... She read through this thread and agreed to try what I had been suggesting.
She went to a 68# longbow, from a 56# recurve and is shooting lights out since. I waited to put this in print because you know how anything has results at the start and then fails later on. Well not this time!. This has been a great thread in as much as the intelligent and well thought out responses have helped me to help her. She is shooting my 70# Mamba now and she is a killer with it   :)  
       Thanks guys!!!

Offline atatarpm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #324 on: September 30, 2014, 09:26:00 PM »
Story of two arrows and two Russian bore.  Fifty eight lbs at my draw, double lung hit yes, pass through no.  No bones were broken how ever 4 ribs were cut by the broadhead.
Arrow number two 70lbs at my draw double lung hit ,through the shield. Complete pass through yes, again no broken bones only cut throughs on both shields and 4 ribs.
These were my first trad kills just 2 weeks ago. I was disappointed with the first I must say I fully expected a pass through.  The 70lbs surpassed my expectations as I also had to dig the broadhead out of the tree behind where I hit the second bore.  Going hunting again this weekend,  taking the 70 with me
Atatarpm   "Traditional Archery is a mastery of one's self ; not of things."
71# Qarbon Nano
67# T2 Blacktail
85lbs Bama
100lbs Bama
60lbs Big D's Long Bow

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #325 on: October 09, 2014, 10:36:00 AM »
TTT
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Jabar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #326 on: February 01, 2016, 11:02:00 AM »
Back up cause its just pain fun like someone said hearing those heavy arrows thump from those heavy bows.

Just saw a mention of this thread elsewhere on the site.  Very cool thread.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #327 on: February 01, 2016, 11:24:00 AM »
I see this is an old thread with many pages so I am sure this has been covered and heck I may have even posted previously. But I am now 50 and have a license to forget.

I have found that I have a certain weight that when I am just not quit heavy enough my bow hand tends to wonder and I become less accurate. A few pounds more and I can settle in. That number for me now is 50@28.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #328 on: February 01, 2016, 11:54:00 AM »
I'm definitely NOT in this league. Age, arthritis and laziness says I will stay where I am. I notice, however that Terry is looking for a 100#+ war bow.

Betcha nothing is going to remain standing in front of that   :)
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #329 on: February 01, 2016, 02:00:00 PM »
SO glad to see this come back around....love those heavier bows.

I injured my elbow in The Stan a few years ago and had to have surgery to fix it, but ended up trading that problem for tendonitis....

I'm shooting a 75 lb Hill now, working back up to my Johnson longbow...

Still loving it...

Offline atatarpm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #330 on: February 01, 2016, 03:14:00 PM »
WOW Someone read something I said
Atatarpm   "Traditional Archery is a mastery of one's self ; not of things."
71# Qarbon Nano
67# T2 Blacktail
85lbs Bama
100lbs Bama
60lbs Big D's Long Bow

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #331 on: February 02, 2016, 01:20:00 PM »
I think I probably posted in this thread already a while back.  And I don't shoot real heavy bows.  I actually hurt my bow-arm shoulder a few years ago when getting crazy with an 80# longbow that I wasn't used to.

But I think it's good to shoot the heaviest you can safely and accurately handle.  I put a video together a few years ago of me drawing my bows, holding and counting to 10, and then shooting.  Not that anyone would do that in real life, but I want to have that kind of muscle control over the bows I shoot.  

I enjoy shooting my 68# recurve, and would like to one day get a longbow at about 60# at my draw.  Last year I walked a 30 target 3D course with the 68 pounder, rested a while, and shot it again with my 48-pound longbow.  It feels great to know that my body was in shape to handle the weight and repetition.  Could I do it now?  Probably not.  But once my shooting season rolls back in, that heavier bow gets easier and easier to shoot.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Skates

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #332 on: February 02, 2016, 04:58:00 PM »
Thanks for keeping this thread clean.  If you don't know how to shoot a bow properly you can injure yourself.  Old age is one thing, time takes a toll on everyone, but if you know how to properly draw a bow you should not get injured, so be aware of what's posted here and on the shooters forum if you want to move up in weight.

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #333 on: February 02, 2016, 05:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by Archie:
I think I probably posted in this thread already a while back.  And I don't shoot real heavy bows.  I actually hurt my bow-arm shoulder a few years ago when getting crazy with an 80# longbow that I wasn't used to.

But I think it's good to shoot the heaviest you can safely and accurately handle.  I put a video together a few years ago of me drawing my bows, holding and counting to 10, and then shooting.  Not that anyone would do that in real life, but I want to have that kind of muscle control over the bows I shoot.  

I enjoy shooting my 68# recurve, and would like to one day get a longbow at about 60# at my draw.  Last year I walked a 30 target 3D course with the 68 pounder, rested a while, and shot it again with my 48-pound longbow.  It feels great to know that my body was in shape to handle the weight and repetition.  Could I do it now?  Probably not.  But once my shooting season rolls back in, that heavier bow gets easier and easier to shoot.
Roman,

You shoot that 68# bow like it's 45# and boy does it throw those "log poles" you call arrows!   :biglaugh:

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #334 on: February 02, 2016, 06:42:00 PM »
Soon to turn 69 , proud to still be shooting 60-65# Recurves.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #335 on: February 02, 2016, 07:11:00 PM »
Please don't post its a macho thing if you continue to do so I'll have to also allow the you're a sissy posts.

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #336 on: February 03, 2016, 05:04:00 AM »
Hey Terry,

If you're referring to my post, I wasn't trying to make it a macho thing. I was only trying to say he makes shooting heavy bows look easy. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Sometimes things get lost in translation.   :campfire:

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #337 on: February 03, 2016, 12:58:00 PM »
No longbow it was not  your post at all it was someone elses but it was removed..... as well as another post by the same individual on another thread who has also been removed unfortunately

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #338 on: February 04, 2016, 07:55:00 AM »
Finally read through this thread. I'm not in the league with you heavy bow shooters but I after my KMag bit the dust I picked up a 50# Martin and I'm finding I prefer taking it out over my 45# Bear. Interesting stuff in this thread, I find myself thinking there may be something to this.
SWA Spyder

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #339 on: February 04, 2016, 03:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by SERGIO VENNERI:
Soon to turn 69 , proud to still be shooting 60-65# Recurves.
Good for you. Older automatically doesn't mean weaker.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©