3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Arguement FOR Heavy Bows  (Read 23520 times)

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Arguement FOR Heavy Bows
« Reply #340 on: February 04, 2016, 03:47:00 PM »
I shoot heavier bows better, too. I have a few lighter draw weight bows in the 50# range, and even if I shoot them exclusively for several days I'll still shoot a 58# to 60# longbow more accurately. They just feel right, somehow.

Offline Chris Pharr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #341 on: February 05, 2016, 07:05:00 PM »
I've been dreaming of a Bear TD lately,  anyone know if you can get them with 65lb limbs?
60% of the time,  it works every time

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #342 on: February 05, 2016, 09:48:00 PM »
I was handed an old Damon Howatt the other day, 58" and 70 lbs.. I managed to shoot a decent group with it but that short of a bow sure makes things more difficult. I have a 68" Martin at 75 lbs that is a dream to shoot next that shorty!

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #343 on: February 07, 2016, 07:13:00 AM »
This is cool!

I continue to learn something new.

Never thought of trying to shoot anything heavier than around 55#, but maybe I could go to 60.

I think I will try.

This thread is just another example of why TradGang is so great.

Irv
Irv Eichorst

Offline A Lex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #344 on: March 02, 2016, 02:02:00 AM »
This is my first post, been lurking a long long time though. Read this whole thread and really enjoyed it.

The arguement for a heavier bow? Please humor me a moment.

A few years ago I bought a 75# longbow to hunt buffalo in the Northern Territory. While waiting for it to be built, I had a loan of a 65# and a 70# recurve simply to build up to the heavier weight (was using 55# at the time)

It took careful solid work, but 2 months later when the new longbow arrived, I could handle it comfortably.

The advantages of a heavier bow have no doubt been covered much more elequantly here than I can, but for me, my release is much better, my form is much better, I shoot it much better (both in accuracy and consistency) and the penetration a 950+ grain wooden arrow with a big Grizzly broadhead gets from that 75# longbow is outstanding.

I seldom use the lighter bow now (but I did take it out a couple of days ago with my two sons, we spent an hour and a half shooting at cabbage moths    :)   ) But I do prefer to take the heavy bow. It is simply better, for me.

My heavy longbow works extremely well on buffalo, and on everything else I've taken with it, and it will surely be with me on my next hunt for whatever that may be.

Can't wait till then.
Good hunting to you all.
May the wind be your friend, and may your arrows fly true,
Most of all, may the appreciation and the gratitude of what we do keep us humble......

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #345 on: March 02, 2016, 11:27:00 AM »
I see this thread is still popular and, therefore, relevant. Of course, nobody enjoys the light vs heavy debate, for as many have emphasized, this is a very subjective number. What I am really glad to see is that so many have been so diligent regarding the conditioning process to develop the ability to pull heavier bows. Most archers could, if they chose, pull considerably heavier bows, but working into it is a serious consideration. Its good to hear that essentially everybody is advising people to approach the heavier bows in a systematic and well planned manner to avoid injury.
Sam

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #346 on: March 02, 2016, 08:31:00 PM »
Thanks Sam .....and you're right this is not a debate it's an argument   FOR  .... all of those who have lobbied against have been removed as this was not a debate thread or intended by the original poster to be a debate thread it was a   FOR  thread
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #347 on: March 02, 2016, 10:25:00 PM »
I'm 57 years old and can still shoot my 75 lb recurve, and shoot it better than I ever have, But I enjoy shooting my 60 lb longbow much more. If I were to go after buff either down under or Africa, I would use the heave recurve. For anything in North America I would stick to the longbow. I would probably shoot the recurve more but I have had serious shoulder issues on both sides and don't want to strain things too bad. I shoot it just enough to know that I can, and that I can put an arrow where it needs to be with it.

Offline catman1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #348 on: March 02, 2016, 10:43:00 PM »
I have a #50 longbow and shoot it well, I just picked up a #55 longbow and shoot very well also. I can tell the difference with the extra #5 pounds. I can still put a arrow where I need to with both. I like the #55 for elk hunting. I must say I shoot the #55 better even at my age of 58 years old. My 2 cents
Odds are with the prepared..

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #349 on: March 03, 2016, 10:50:00 PM »
Thanks for keeping this thread alive. I posted when it started. Since then I dropped a couple pounds but still shoot 60# recurves. I feel fortunate to be able to do this at 70+ years old. I still enjoy the feel of drawing the heavier weight bows I have. It reminds me of a good workout, my muscles feel good, warmed up. I hope I can keep this up for another 10 years.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #350 on: March 04, 2016, 06:44:00 PM »
Well, I have come a long way since this thread started. I just had surgery two weeks ago and can't shoot a bow at all. However, the doc expects that I should be able to shoot again before long, even if I can't pull the weight I used to handle. That just emphasizes the fact that "heavy" is a very subjective and changeable number.

Even though part of my problem happened when shooting a 78# bow incorrectly, I still believe in shooting the heaviest that can be handled well. I just hope I can build the strength again, because I honestly feel my form is better (at least when my conditioning is appropriate).

The emphasis is conditioning and, yes, mindset. I would encourage a new guy to look at heavier bows but to be guided by what feels right. Just make sure you are in shape for it. I don't criticize those who like lighter bows, I just feel that a well placed shot from a heavy bow will usually outperform one from a light bow.
Sam

Online Dsturgisjr

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #351 on: March 05, 2016, 12:47:00 PM »

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #352 on: March 05, 2016, 03:01:00 PM »
Now there is a dream come true!`

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #353 on: March 15, 2016, 08:34:00 PM »
So I thought I wanted to drop weight. My "go to" bow is 60#'s. Well, 60# @ 27", I draw 26", but when I replaced the grip, written underneath was 60# + 3, so I'm guessing that puts me right back at 60# for my beloved Wesley Special.

Now, 60# is not necessarily "heavy" by some subjective standards but I consider it, for all intents and purposes, to be "heavier than neccessary" for most of my practical hunting. So I picked up a 50# bow to use as a comfortable shooter. But honestly, and this is not bravado, my release is less clean with the lighter bow. I don't hold at anchor long, just enough to set my anchor point, and the heavier bow "pops" out of my release smoother it seems.
Of course, I could condition myself to the lighter bow, (and one day I may just have to!), but with regular shooting and my regular strength training I feel like building strength (in my physical condition) is more practical than dropping weight.
Bent over single arm rows, pull ups, and inverted rows are easy to progress with, safe to perform, and can be done with a variety of on-hand equipment.
I fully understand the physical limitations of people, old age, injuries, etc. and I am in no way advocating going up or keeping high weight in these situations, but if you do have a bow you love, and you're physically capable of progressing in strength, make a dedicated plan and you'll be surprised at just what advantages the heavier bow weights can do for you.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #354 on: March 16, 2016, 04:57:00 PM »
I saw someone post today that a 45# bow in the wrong spot is the same as a 70# in the same spot...

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!

#1 Depends on the so called 'spot'.

#2 Heavier Bows push bigger more devastating bheads through animals....more carnage to the 'wrong spot'...meaning the animal will get sicker faster and lay down sooner before the blood trail dries up.

#3 Even with smaller heads, the shoulder will succumb to the heavier bow MUCH more so than the lighter bow as its also toting a much heavier arrow WITH the power behind it AND the stiffer shaft for MORE dimensional stability at impact.

#4 Animals moving.....heavier arrows at the same speed or more are more likely to pass through or penetrate when the animal reacts to the shot.

Not knocking lighter bows at all, they are lethal, but lets not make them out to be heavyweights or comparable to them on game as the are not.  You cannot deny physics.

Nice Pic Denny...was that with a 42# bow?  After all, they are all the same some folks say.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #355 on: March 17, 2016, 01:36:00 PM »
Heavy bows work for me too.  As you see in my signature block I like stouter bows, the string comes off my fingers cleaner.
   :campfire:      :coffee:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline stonewall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #356 on: March 17, 2016, 03:37:00 PM »
I have been shooting a 45# for about the last year and really enjoy it. But I also have heavier bows that I like also. The difference I see is that the 63# can do what the 45# can but a little better. This is just my experience , and I know others my differ. If it's just for these small N.C. deer In my experience the 45# is fine but If I hunt something larger I'm going heavier just for confidence if anything.

Online Dsturgisjr

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #357 on: March 17, 2016, 04:29:00 PM »

Yes Terry; sometimes you need to use a heavy draw weight! I used a 74# PSR and a 960 grain arrow on this Cape buff. Lighter than my normal buff set-ups.

The following pictures are from hunts that I wouldn't do with a 40 pound bow. You could make a perfect shot and not get the required penetration for a clean kill.

Online Dsturgisjr

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #358 on: March 17, 2016, 04:34:00 PM »

Online Dsturgisjr

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #359 on: March 17, 2016, 04:37:00 PM »

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement