3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Arguement FOR Heavy Bows  (Read 23564 times)

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Arguement FOR Heavy Bows
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2012, 09:38:00 PM »
I hate to see a thread such as this get so off track. It should not be a rock throwing contest. If I understand correctly, the initial request was simply for heavy bow shooters to try to explain what benefits they feel they get from shooting the heavy bow. The heavy vs. light argument was injected but is not part of the original inquiry. Not trying to be rude, but people who only shoot light bows are not in a position to add anything relevant to the original posting, since it specifically asks the question of those shooting the heavy bows. Please don't take undue offense at my bluntness, but that is how the original question was posed.
Sam

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2012, 09:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rossco7002:
Again, as the OP I'm interested to hear from heavy bow shooters as to what they love about their choice.....
Putting a arrow completely through my game consistently. Having the ability to shoot the biggest broad head I can find and still get consistent passthroughs. Shooting through the offside shoulder. That's what I like about heavy bows.

Most importantly CONFIDENCE! Having played baseball at a high level I know how important confidence is. If you think your a better hunter with 42# then your are if you totally 100% believe it. The same can be said for a guy shooting 90#. Whatever gives YOU the most confidence is important.

That being said if you are shooting 40# but know you could be shooting 60# without losing any accuracy then you aren't 100% confident. Having the ability to do more but not doing it is unethical to me. That's not saying a 40# or even a 35# bow is unethical because they aren't with the right archer behind them. It's the decision to shoot 40# when you could shoot 70 that is unethical to ME.
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2012, 10:01:00 PM »
Why is it so hard to understand that some guys are stronger than others????? You may only be able to draw/shoot 45# comfortably,but there are plenty of guys that can shoot 75# just as easily.
I could bench press 315#.Some guys can only get 150#,but plenty more can get 4,5,600#  :dunno:

Offline Jesse Minish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2012, 10:46:00 PM »
I shoot heavier bows because they are usually the cheaper bows in the classifieds   :thumbsup:  
I shoot what I feel is comfortable and so does everyone else...

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2012, 11:23:00 PM »
OK - to the original post - a few reasons. 1 - for me I get a firm consistant draw, anchor, release with heavy bows there is too much spongs in anything under 65#, but 65# and up I shoot better. 2 - heavy bows shoot heavy arrows and the benefits are many. 3 - we started using heavy bows in the early 80s when true custom recuves became available and we were so sucessful I never had a reason to change. We had excellent recovery rates when many hunters using more common draw weights had struggles. 4 - Another reason I have used heavy tackle for such a long time is I always have a hunt planned for BIG game. Truthfully I do not consider whitetails big game - or at least 90% of what gets  harvested by bowhunters. BIG game is Elk,Moose,Eland,Kudu,Buffalo,wild cattle so as a matter of discapline I shot tackle suitable for these animals year round. When I did hunt a caribou or bruiser whitetail I simply had more confidence.
We still keep little bows some 50# stuff and even couple lighter for teaching children and even adults when we teach beginners how to shoot barebow.
I see a trend towards lighter equipment but this does not concern me since I do not see many folks using light bows for big game. For average deer, little hogs or even a small bear no problems.
<><
<-----------------<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline flyne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2012, 11:40:00 PM »
I like shooting heavy arrows and the flatter i can shoot the arrow the better iv always had and shot heavy bows #65 to #100 also own a few around #45 to #55 but  I can't seem to be able to get my fingers to release right with the lower poundage due to them locking up and not realesing the string when I want
Jim
If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it.         (Fred Bear)

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2012, 12:03:00 AM »
I typically shoot bows from 50-56# at my draw but I have one hill that's 64# and the release is noticably cleaner as it takes just the slightest movement to release the arrow.

Offline Hunter74

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2012, 04:17:00 AM »
I'm just wondering if I qualify as a "heavy draw" guy with my Silvertip. It's 61# at 27", I draw a tickle over 30". So I figure that puts it at 68-69# for me. I wouldn't consider that a heavy bow, but is that considered a heavy bow?

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2012, 07:10:00 AM »
It's all about the horsepower!!!

When I started hunting out west for elk,I started shooting 65lbs+.Bigger kill zone meant longer shots and a arro tipped w/ a big Snuffer,not a good recipe for 50lbs or less.

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2012, 07:48:00 AM »
I shoot #60 mostly with pretty heavy arrows, i just like blowing through things!
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2012, 09:07:00 AM »
Confidence.  I shoot a 67# bow most of the time.  I feel that when I bend the string, I will have to drag something out.  If I hit a shoulder bone, so what?  I know from experience that I can shoot through them.  I try to miss them, but I shoot really tight to the shoulder with confidence.  Straight above the leg is my sweet spot for a broadside shot.  With a lighter bow, I don't think I would crowd that area as much.

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2012, 11:06:00 AM »
This will never be settled in the archery ranks but I agree with Mark Baker.  I've always went by the Fred Bear philosophy of shoot the heaviest bow you can handle accurately.  No matter how good you are or how hard you try you will make a marginal shot on an animal if you hunt long enough and I like getting my arrow to the vitals under any circumstance.
     If heavey to you is 55# then that's what you should shoot  Unless you are injured or have some other medical thing wrong I don't know of any man who couldn't shoot bows of moderate weight easily (60#+).  I think we owe it to the game we hunt also.

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2012, 01:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by elkbreath:
Hybrid, I'm shooting a gn super ghost w

What are you shooting that shoots an 800 gr arrow 185 fps @ 66#?  

The ACS?

Whatever it is I want one in 90#....

Though the bulls I shot with 54# self bow are still pretty dead to this day.      :)    
Elkbreath
No need for an ACS...jut a glass bow (RER Vital 64"), a clean release an a Man draw lenght      :goldtooth:    

Arrow is a GT kinetic 200 big game, full length, HIT 100 gr brass insert and 300 gr point: 805 grain
My bow is marked 64# @ 31"

I passed through with a BIG Jim 3 blades broadhead (1,5" wide)  two weeks ago this young cape eland bull 1000#+ though, arrow exiting between the base of the neck and scapula. Spotted, stalked and shot on a free range Namibia hunt at a little over 30 yards (30 meter, theese beast are a little spooky). I would need to be really stupid to shoot a heavier bow....

La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

Offline WDELongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2012, 02:43:00 PM »
I loved this heavy bow thread.  Seems like most threads on this topic are quickly jumped on by the "light bow advocates".  Their mantra: even a 45 lbs bow will shoot through most N. American big game animals, modern design of limbs and arrows result in much more efficient tackle eliminating need for heavy bow, you can't fully utilize your back muscles with a heavy bow, you will shorten your draw length, etc., etc.  It's like these concepts are tatooed on their brains.  They may have valid points, but it's like they can't even entertain an different position. I have been shooting around 48 lbs at 3D and practice. I recently mixed it up and took a 65 lbs longbow to shoot 3D targets. It was a blast! Seems like my release was much improved - shot my best session ever.  From my limited knowledge, I think the light bow advocates don't "get" how to practice with a heavy bow.  I have found it helpful to

- Shoot 1 arrow and retrieve it (this builds in rest/recovery into practice session)
- Limit number of arrows shot per session
- Try to shoot every other day, and if aches/pains take 2-3 days off.

I loved this thread.  I was reading an article by Dan Quillian from the early-90's that made several good points about advantages of a heavy bow.  I think too many people dismiss heavy bows. I am ready to try a 75 lber  :)

Offline foudarme

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2012, 03:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by overbo:
Heavy bows help w/poor release?BS,a poor release is a poor release.I've shot heavy bows for years w/ poor release.I don't care what anyone said.If you have a bad release.The arro DOSENOT hit where you intended to hit.
The biggest advantage to heavy bows,is that most trad. shooters are compound converts and w/ a compound,you it a wall!
So if you are a pretty physically strong guy.A 50lbs or less bow,you don't feel that wall but w/ a 65lbs+ bow,well that guy stacks right at your draw length.Which w/ combined w/ good form and release,can be very deadly!
I recently got some tips from a very accomplished archer on form.The one thing that's made a HUGE difference,is to put most if not all the string pressure on your middle finger.
BS...the stiffer the limbs, the cleaner the release...take an ILF riser, shoot some floppy limbs such as hoyt F7, then stiffer like border hex6 or uukah limbs and you immediately will see the huge difference in case of poor release at the same draw weight...heavy limbs are naturally stiffer in lateral stability, so the release will be naturally cleaner...that's physics.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2012, 03:54:00 PM »
Nice looking lefty, hybridbow hunter.  You can send it to me to try out anytime you want, lol.  Unfortunately, I would get less out of it with my 29.5 draw length.

Offline atatarpm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2012, 06:48:00 PM »
Hybridbow hunter most people over here consider your bow to be heavy
Atatarpm   "Traditional Archery is a mastery of one's self ; not of things."
71# Qarbon Nano
67# T2 Blacktail
85lbs Bama
100lbs Bama
60lbs Big D's Long Bow

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2012, 08:00:00 PM »
Back to original topic For me its heavy arrows 600 plus and cleaner release.

Heavy wood or aluminum are simple to build and get easy pass throughs.

After being a tank mechanic (USMC) for 20 years and a steamfitter for 10, my hands are a little beat up so its pretty hard to get a consistant release with a 45# bow. I also tend to hold too long and develop TargetPanic with light bows..........YMMV
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2012, 11:35:00 AM »
My Dave Johnson cedar longbow is 81 @ 27...heavy, but not too heavy...

To answer the gentleman who asked...here is why I shoot a heavy bow:

It was a gift from a very special friend, so I determined to learn it well...

It is a challenge, and I am up for the spirit of a good personal challenge to improve...

It is beautiful, graceful, powerful, and deadly..(kinda like my wife) and I appreciate that about it...

It has a story.

And because for me, and me only,....it's a celebration.

It takes effort to learn a heavier bow properly. It takes time and hard work...and success must be earned.....

When success is achieved....so is the personal reward. Kind of like a good stalk......

After a particularly arduous lifestyle, I am still healthy enough to work with my heavy bow, and I thank God everyday for that, and the other blessings in my life.

Everytime I pull and "get into" that bow, and hold it at anchor, then feel the string rip out of my fingers and see that 800 grain wooden arrow simply blast and drive into what ever I am shooting at.......it's a celebration for me.

I have just had rotator cuff surgery and am working back up to my biggun....it is hard, and it is taking effort, and it can be discouraging.

But I will get there, and soon. And once again I will be celebrating every shot.

Celebrating life, health, vitality, the ability to work and achieve a personal goal..and mostly just being alive..

Celebrating the life's work of a Master Bowyer like Dave Johnson....and his creation.

Someday I will no longer be able to properly shoot this bow, and I know that. When that happens I will shoot less weight...and celebrate those equally....

I truly enjoy the effort of pulling a heavier bow and the feel of my back as I pull through anchor and feel that string rip out...and the release takes care of itself.

I love the feel of the heavy bow as it launches a heavy arrow with total authority, but with almost complete silence.

I love to see that arrow hit, and keep going...

I love the confidence that I do not have to ask a forum if my setup is enough....I know it is.

Mostly, I truly enjoy the work it takes to shoot it well, and hunt with it well...any success must be earned, as with any good thing in life.

I don't care if anyone ever knows what my bow's draw weight is, or what their opinions are regarding heavy or light, or whatever....it is a personal thing for me, and I will continue to enjoy it as long as I can.

And on the day that I can no longer pull and shoot this bow, I will put it up and regard it fondly.

OR...I will gift it to a younger man who can spend time with it...celebrating.

Russ

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2012, 12:21:00 PM »
Beautiful post Russ!!!! I think you hit the nail on the head for a lot of us who are less eloquent.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©