3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Arguement FOR Heavy Bows  (Read 23563 times)

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Arguement FOR Heavy Bows
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2012, 12:30:00 PM »
Thanks Wade....

I did forget to say that I appreciate Mr. Baker's post as well......very well said.

Russ

Offline RonD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2012, 01:02:00 PM »
In reading the replys to the original question, I am assuming that the author meant bows in the range of 60# or higher. I cannot shoot bows that heavy, however I do shoot the heaviest bow possible. As an older person with health issues, and by health issues I mean issues like arthritis or other condition that limits the weight element in shooting a bow I find myself limited. I shoot a recurve 43#@25" and a longbow 42#@25". The reason I shoot these weight are: (1) It is a bow weight I can handle comfortably; (2) I have confidence in the bow doing the job in a hunting situation; (3) Drawing the heaviest bow weight I can also helps me with the spinal canal stenosis I suffer from. It is good exercise that keeps the stenosis from completely disabling me. However, since I do not hunt anything but hogs, I find that I am very selective in the size and weight of the hog I shoot.

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2012, 01:26:00 PM »
Thank you Russ and well said.  I'm in the same boat and generally just keep shooting 100+ arrows anight beacue of the Joy near addication, therapeutic value that is being to me.  Thanks for the posts guys.  
DAn
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2012, 02:03:00 PM »
Russ, that was a great post.  I think one of the best parts of it was:

"...I love the confidence that I do not have to ask a forum if my setup is enough....I know it is...."

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2012, 02:04:00 PM »
Great post, Russ !

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2012, 02:55:00 PM »
So when shooting these beasts do you guys pre-aim through the draw to minimize your holding time? I'm tempted to go heavy with my next bow and would like to hear what you guys do differently (if anything) when shooting heavy bows...
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2012, 03:38:00 PM »
Hello, my name is Kyle and I'm an addict.
Because of this I shoot constantly and can easily handle a 70# bow even with my 135 lb. frame.  For me, all the fun is in the preparation.  At 36 years young I won't be able to do it forever, but do it I will until I can't any longer.

Just keep'em in the 10 ring......
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2012, 04:43:00 PM »
Rossco....I tailor my shooting around my hunting...that means sometimes I hold the bow out in front of me and draw straight back to minimize movement. Other times I use the swing draw...

At first you'll have difficulty drawing that last inch or so until you really get used to it and use your back. You sort of compress under the weight...until you get used to drawing it alot.

Then you shoot it just like a lighter bow, and you can hold it at anchor....as long as you want.

Gonna take work though.....

Good things are you really learn to push that bow arm out, and pull with the back...also you will pull more easily if you really engage the middle finger and let it hold most of the weight.

hope this helps....

Offline atatarpm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2012, 06:01:00 PM »
Piont on Russ! RonD piont on to you also sir!
Ric Mitchell
Atatarpm   "Traditional Archery is a mastery of one's self ; not of things."
71# Qarbon Nano
67# T2 Blacktail
85lbs Bama
100lbs Bama
60lbs Big D's Long Bow

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2012, 11:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rossco7002:
So when shooting these beasts do you guys pre-aim through the draw to minimize your holding time? I'm tempted to go heavy with my next bow and would like to hear what you guys do differently (if anything) when shooting heavy bows...
Hey Rossco,

I can't snap shoot. Just doesn't work for me. Even when shooting 80, 90, or even 100+ pound bows, I draw, anchor, concentrate on my spot and release. Sometimes that is 1 second, sometimes 2-3 seconds.

When I am exercising I will draw a bow to 1/3 draw and hold for a 10 count, then to half draw and hold for a 10 count, full draw ten count, then do the same as I am relaxing the bow. I do this with both right and left arms. I wait 2 minutes and repeat. 3-5 sets depending on how I am feeling.

When I am practicing, and especially as season approaches, I will focus on a spot and draw the bow EXTREMELY slowly, just as if trying to avoid detection by wary eyes. I hit anchor, focus on my spot and release. I do this standing, from a 15' ladder stand in my back yard, from my hunting stool, any possible position I may feel a hunting shot might present itself.

I personally do not plan to hunt with my 90# or heavier bows, I use these for exercise and strength building. But it sure makes my "Go To" bow (83#) seem mighty easy to shoot. For me 70-85# seems to be my sweet spot.

Hope this helps.

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: August 15, 2012, 12:10:00 AM »
Hunter,

If you are anywhere near North East Wisconsin PM me, I have some experience.

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2012, 02:45:00 AM »
I also practice as I would hunt. Sometimes I snap shoot, some times I use a swing draw and some times I hold on target for a few seconds. I lift weights as much as I can ( probably 3-4 times a week), train martial arts 3 to 4 times a week and shoot my bow daily. What helps me the most though is drawing left handed (I am right handed) 10 or 15 times after I shoot, I feel this has really strengthed my holding arm and has allowed me to be much more steady during the shot.

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2012, 01:41:00 PM »
The best workout is to start with a comfortable weight, draw it back 1/2 way, pause, continue to 3/4 draw. pause and to full draw and pause. Repeat when letting down, 3/4 pause, 1/2 pause and down. Do 3-5 reps from the right and left side. Gradually, increase your bow weight and draw weight. Do this every other day.  Do not try this with a bow >10 lbs than you are accustom to shooting.   :wavey:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2012, 03:18:00 PM »
enjoy and have fun .....
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2012, 05:14:00 AM »
ttt

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2012, 07:46:00 AM »
Nice to see this thread is back.
Keep it in context.

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2012, 08:04:00 AM »
I really like reading the post here from people who shoot this equipment.  I read one that said they like to shoot alot of arrows so they don't shoot heavy bows.  I shoot every day, year round amd I live in a northern climate.  My bows range between 70 & 80# so they aren't that heavy but I can shoot them all day long.  My son had posted a video clip on here of him shooting his 93# longbow and yes, we hit full draw and hold.  He weighs in at 135# also.

I guess the point is, if you want to take a page from Russ's post you will learn to shoot whatever weight you truly want to if you'll put in the effort.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2012, 08:51:00 AM »
i'll put this out to y'all ....

get acceptable and agreeable definitions ...

1. define a "heavy weight" hunting stick bow.

2. define a "light weight" hunting stick bow.

and then define usage ...

3. what are the objective positive benefits of either of those two bows?

show me some common sense OBJECTIVE answers to these questions, please.

i don't wanna know or care why YOU shoot heavy or light, i wanna see a list of real world functionally object reasons for hunting at either end of the trad stick bow holding weight spectrum.

can anyone do this as little subjectivity as possible?

show me, i'm listening ....  yes, this is a test of sorts.    :campfire:

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2012, 09:39:00 AM »
First, thank you for re-opening the thread as I do believe there is some good information being communicated here.

Beyond that I need time to put my response together as paying the bills comes first. Hopefully I can do that tonight when I have some time to compose my thoughts in an objective manner.

Thanks again,

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2012, 11:05:00 AM »
Great to see this thread back! As rob says, let's see some objective reasons listed - as the OP that's what the original intent was here (sorry if it was a little unclear).

For me, I shoot mid-50's weight right now and I'm interested to see what benefits I might see by moving up in weight with my next bow.
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©