3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Schafer Silvertip owners- Question  (Read 532 times)

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Schafer Silvertip owners- Question
« on: August 12, 2012, 12:22:00 AM »
I am a big fan of Silvertip bows and have some friends who feel the same. Recently, I was told to examine my bows and try and find a difference with them.
I have 2 Silvertip take down bows.
One is a FF model and the other is not.
I have closely compared them both and see NO difference. Both risers have identical stripe and number of lams in the stripe.

The tips are identical as well.
The FF tips have 2 layers of horn with 2 layers of black material between the two and the non ff have 2 layers of bocote with 2 layers of the identical black material between them as well.
 Im guessing the black layers are phenolic material.
I see these identical tips on every Silvertip.

I know several people who are using FF strings on their non FF silvertips with no problems at all. Are others doing this as well?

Your thoughts on this observation appreciated.

Thanks in advance......Philip
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline daniel boon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Schafer Silvertip owners- Question
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 01:18:00 AM »
I am interested in this also, as I have 62" TD RC, that is about 2years old, and rated NON FF. IT has a cocobolo riser with a laminated stripe. The tips have 3 layers of black phenolic and rough Sheeps horn.
 3 weeks ago I got my new 1pc RC from Dave, rated FF. When I was picking the wood combo's for the riser, i was told that I had to have some Dymondwood inthe riser, so I combined some Rosewood dymondwood with Macasser Ebony in the flared riser,and it looks just like Cocobolo.
 Theese FF tips also have rough Sheeps horn, and 2layers of black phenolic, and between the black phenolic is 1 layer of Red material.
 On the NON FF bow the 3 layers of black phenolic are slightly thicker than the 3 layers of material on the FF bow, and the Sheeps horn is also slightly thicker, on the NON FF bow.
 Apart from the 1 layer of red material, the tips on the NON FF bow seem more robust.
 Just my observation, as for using a FF string on the NON FF bow, have not done it, but am interested in this?
 Dan

Offline JParanee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 01:26:00 AM »
I would call Dave

There is a reason that he rates some for FF
Morrison & Titan ILF & BF Extreme Limbs
Silvertip 1 Piece 57#-Silvertip 57#-Black Widow Ma II 61#&69#-Fedora 560 69#- 560 57#-560 60#-560 55#-Brakenbury Shadow 60#-Hoyt Buffalo 55#- Bob Lee 58#- fishing bows PSE's

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 01:44:00 AM »
Philip you would do well to talk with Dave directly. What was explained to me in great detail was that his decisions are based solely on what he has tested and not. If he has tested a certain riser wood combo with FF then he will warranty that combo; if not tested he won't back it. In my opinion Dave has not done a lot of testing with FF. Be that as it may the bows and craftsmanship are pretty much the benchmark of what is available today. I have a FF Silvertip and use FF-if it were not FF I'd still use FF-it is just a warranty issue and I don't really believe in warranties for bows anyway.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 10:32:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bjorn:
Philip you would do well to talk with Dave directly. What was explained to me in great detail was that his decisions are based solely on what he has tested and not. If he has tested a certain riser wood combo with FF then he will warranty that combo; if not tested he won't back it. In my opinion Dave has not done a lot of testing with FF. Be that as it may the bows and craftsmanship are pretty much the benchmark of what is available today. I have a FF Silvertip and use FF-if it were not FF I'd still use FF-it is just a warranty issue and I don't really believe in warranties for bows anyway.
X2.   Call Dave, he is very careful about what he says and does. Its best to get the info from him , then share it here.
David M. Conroy

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 10:34:00 AM »
I have always called upon the Bowyer to answer questions of this nature. They know there product and will stand behind there product as long as you follow there instruction.
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 12:37:00 PM »
Thanks guys.
I was just wondering if there are folks shooting FF strings on non FF limbs on their Silvertip considering they at least appear to be the same basic tip construction.

......Philip
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 02:22:00 PM »
I see it exactly as Bjorn does - I have a lot of silvertips. Some bought FF cerified some not  - but I shoot FF on all of them. I shoot heavier than normal arrows though - even by "heavy arrow silvertip standards" which would lessen any stress issues that might arrise due to FF.
<><
<----------------<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 03:22:00 PM »
Heh, you guys are braver than me. My Tips that are not FF rated will not be shot with FF. I have FF Tips too and thats how they will shoot.

I actually like the performance of my older non FF Schafers with a good ol' dacron string..
David M. Conroy

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 04:18:00 PM »
Bear or Shafer they will last more than many generations of us!!!!...
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 08:33:00 PM »
I have two one FF one not as you - they stay that way.
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »
Using FF string with light weight arrows is hard on a riser as well as the limbs.... if you go to light you are basically dry firing the bow.... dry firing a bow is not a good thing, but there is a lot of difference between dry firing a bow with FF non stretch string, and B-50.

if you have phenolic in the tip overlays, and the grooves are shaped right, AND.... are shooting hunting weight arrows at 9-11 gpp or heavier. You will have no issues using FF string....

if it makes you nervous going against the warranty continue to use use the "Bungi-50" Dacron on them....

Offline Hunter74

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2012, 11:37:00 PM »
Hey gang, I don't mean to hi-jack this thread but I just got a new to me Silvertip. I absolutely love it so far. The bow is in brand new condition, not a flaw on it. The one problem is I keep getting a click out of the top limb where its bolted to the riser. Anyone els have this and is it something I should look into?

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 11:30:00 AM »
Moleskin should fix your issue! It is probly the wax that you are hearing. Otherwise check the glass around the limb hole to make sure it is not cracking!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline Adam S. Daugherty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 11:44:00 AM »
Hunter 74.  I use adheasive backed felt material between the limbs and riser on my ST.

Offline Bob Palmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »
Hunter 74...I simply put a thin layer of bow string wax between the limbs and riser. Be sure to put some on the mounting pins as well.  EZ fix!
"Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground."
- Anonymous

Offline Hunter74

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 02:12:00 PM »
Hey thanks guys. I looked it over really carefully and I did find in the top limb around the hole for the locating pin there is a blemish in the glass. It's so minute that I can't really tell if its a crack or a chip or just scuffed. Should this be something to worry about, or just keep an eye on it to see if it gets any worse?

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2012, 08:04:00 PM »
Same here!
My Silvertip has a click also at the top limb bolt.
Driving me crazy!!!!
I cleaned it all, still a click.
I waxed it all, still a click.

The limb sits perfectly to the riser with zero play, nice fit.
But it still does it. I'm disgusted.
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2012, 09:22:00 PM »
X2 on Mike's advice. Also a slight dusting where the string sits in the groove on both limbs. The waxed string wont stick to the powdered graphite.
I've had several of these clicking Silvertips and this cured every one.
David M. Conroy

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2012, 01:15:00 AM »
just use Johnson's paste wax in the bolt hole, and location pin hole. if you have done all this and used a felt pad as well, and it's still clicking....take the limb off and get get a stethoscope and check the limb out inch by inch while flexing it.

if you have got something clicking inside one of your limbs, you have a time bomb on your hands... I've had it happen to one of my limbs before and i never did figure out what it was.... i took the limb off the bow and put it in a vise and flexed it until i located where it was coming from....

hopefully it just needs a lube job.... Kirk

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©