3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: crow hunting  (Read 562 times)

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
crow hunting
« on: August 07, 2007, 01:28:00 PM »
has anyone ever crow hunted with a bow?, how do you hunt them?, what point do you use?
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline von

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: crow hunting
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 01:52:00 PM »
Ian , I've shot thousands w/ the gun even won a few big money crow hunts but find the whole idea of hunting crows w/ the bow a bit much ! try turkeys , geese , pheasants , rabbits and such , theres so much small game out there one would have to be a masochist to even try the bird w/ a bow .

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 02:26:00 PM »
Getting a crow with a bow would be a fantastic feat. If you get one be sure and post pics.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Goodbye Shiner you were always a good dog.

Offline scarecrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 04:14:00 PM »
Check the game laws before you do. I think most say something about it being ok if they are tearing up crops. BUT, as one game warden once said, "You can bet a crow is either headed to or coming from tearing up someones crop"

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 04:46:00 PM »
Thats what I wondered about Here in Indiana. We have some Funky Laws, so I am Off to see what I can See!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 04:51:00 PM »
just looking for stuff to hunt right now before fall
ARTAC member
52@29 66 bear grizzly

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 05:17:00 PM »
Crow (early)  July 1, 2007 - Aug. 15, 2007  No limit  
 Crow (late)  Dec. 13, 2007 - Mar. 1, 2008  No limit  

This is what the Official DNR Website said. I just copied it. This is INDIANA ONLY though.
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 05:34:00 PM »
I've shot a lot of crows with my bow and have shot AT even more.... it ain't the "gettin", it's the "tryin".

Field points will work, but I prefer steel blunts.

When in season you can call them to a decoy set up, stalk them when feeding (go for the sentry)or in winter they can be hunted on their roost if you know where that is.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 09:31:00 PM »
Ian, per Louisiana DFW:

The season for crows shall be Sept. 1-Jan.1 with no limit; however crows, blackbirds, cowbirds and grackles may be taken year round during legal shooting hours if they are depredating or about to depredate upon ornamentals or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock, wildlife, or when concentrated in such numbers as to cause a health hazard.  Louisiana has determined that the birds listed above are crop depredators an that crows have been implicated in the spread of the West Nile virus in humans.

Offline bmfer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 10:11:00 PM »
I almost busted one in my backyard the other morning, untill I remembered the birdfeeder!! In PA, that's bait, and a no,no!
Bret
Bret M. FullER

Offline TRADITIONAL ONLY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 12:09:00 AM »
when i woke up this morning i looked out the window and seen two sittin under the bird feeder, i grabbed my 17HMR and sneaked around the corner of the house, but they was gone...

umm they was a article in TB about crows a couple issues back, said to use BH's. that unless you could hit a bottle top everytime not to use blunts. (head shots) and that FP's wouldnt bleed em out fast enough.
If its brown its down; thats my motto.

"The great questions of the day are decided... by blood and iron"  Otto von Bismark

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 08:47:00 AM »
I'll wait till sept 1st and use brooadheads
ARTAC member
52@29 66 bear grizzly

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 09:24:00 AM »
In one of the Fred Bear videos, there is a really interesting crow shoot.  They get several while hiding in a clump of brush and calling them in.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2007, 09:29:00 AM »
Talk about complicated and odd.  Here's VA's regs:

August 18-March 15 on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday only.

Crows are a federally regulated migratory species, no HIP number is required to hunt them. Crow hunting on National Forest Lands and Department Lands is permitted from September 1-March 10 (Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday only).  
I guess the crows have important stuff to do on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  :D

Offline Davie C.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2007, 03:19:00 PM »
those are their days off from being hunted. Its hard work being hunted you know    :biglaugh:

Offline Joe Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2007, 03:43:00 PM »
Some of the weird hunting schedules for crows comes from the fact that they are a federally regulated migratory bird. That means that there can't be more then a certain number of days in an annual hunting season. (124 this year in AR). So to extend the length of the season your local DNR or Game and Fish group usually eliminates a couple of weekdays from the season. Here in Arkansas the season runs from September 1 to last day of February, with no hunting on or Tuesday and Wednesday.

Course you can almost always get a deprevation permit for crows and you can hunt them all year long.

Offline Gene Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2007, 07:04:00 PM »
i've shot many crows with a gun but never a bow,good luck
Yea,though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death,i will fear no evil:for thou art with me;thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.Psalm 23:4

"Speak softly and carry a big stick. . . . "           President Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2007, 08:55:00 PM »
There are plenty of quality cassette or cd's that produce 100% results at bringing crow in. I have a tape of crow/owl fight that I run through a boom box from a pawn shop, crows have never ignored it...

Can't say I've attempted crow shooting with a bow but from several seasons and many hours of gunning them, I know enough about the sport and the rascals that taking them with archery gear diffently can be done.

Spend $12 bucks or so on a recording and stick it in any loud player device, maybe your car or truck radio with the windows down and the doors open. Down the end of the steet in the neighborhood.  If crows hear it, they can't resist it and will come. Very smart animals watch what they do and how they act

Rusty
"Mystic rhythms,Under northern lights or the African sun,Primitive things stir the hearts of everyone"

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2007, 09:04:00 PM »
I've shot a few myself, too, missed a good many more..but like Charlie says, its the trying thats fun.

I'd give it a rip. Mine were opportunistic kills...but I would try it with a caller iflegal,and really get afterthem..bet it could be really fun.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©