3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Carbons aren't too bad...  (Read 137 times)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Carbons aren't too bad...
« on: August 12, 2012, 10:19:00 PM »
Just tried out carbons for the first time over the last couple weeks.

I wanted to try 10 gpp out of my 45# bow.
Even tapered spruce was too heavy..didn't want to give bamboo the attention it needs.

Now I've been a die hard wood arrow guy since I started trad.
Switching to carbons seemed pretty high tech and un romantic.

But I tell you what..
My woodies were well tuned and as straight as I could get them.
I had been worried about inserts and glue not sticking to the shafts for fletching, cutting the carbon for tuning etc..

I'm lucky that I have a diamond saw at work to use..but as it ends up I can use full length shafts just fine..so no cutting! YAY!

The glue worked great, low temp hot melt is working great on the inserts.

The biggest thing is how my groups have improved.
I tried my best to have my woods tuned in very well, and tried to get and keep them straight as possible.
But these carbons are sooo dang consistent.

I think my form had finally surpassed my ability to tune and straighten wood arrows.

I'm pretty sure I was fighting my woods and didn't even know it.

These carbons have upped my game and hopefully will make it easier to down live game..lol

I must say...the flight of the arrow doesn't disappoint either..carbons and woodies look just as good in flight...just have a little more time to watch the woodies..

I still love the staining and sealing of shafts and their beauty...but these carbs have definitely made me more confident.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline AZWarts

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Carbons aren't too bad...
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 10:22:00 PM »
I agree with you. I tend to hunt big game with carcon and smaller game like javelina and turkey with woodies. Carbons definatley give you a confident boost.
A superior pilot uses superior judgment to keep from using his superior skills.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©