3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Woodsman or 2-blade for 42# deer rig?  (Read 477 times)

Offline skychief

• Trad Bowhunter
Woodsman or 2-blade for 42# deer rig?
« on: August 12, 2012, 11:50:00 PM »
I wonder about penetration with 42# and a finished arrow weight of 465 grains (including the head).

Will the 150 grain Woodsman (3 blade) penetrate as well as a 150 grain 2 blade?  

Would the difference be small enough to not be considered?

Thanks for your thoughts and experience, Skychief.

Offline Henry Hammer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Woodsman or 2-blade for 42# deer rig?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 12:09:00 AM »
No offense but do a search on here and this topic has been.......  :deadhorse:
"No man's opinion is any better than his background, his experience and his general common sense." Jack O' Connor

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 12:21:00 AM »
I'm trying a 450 arrow total weight out of my 45# bow this year.
Tipping them with a 175 VPA 3 blade....We'll see...
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline skychief

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 12:26:00 AM »
No offense taken Henry.   A search doesn't show setups as light as mine.   That's why I posted.

Thanks, Skychief.

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 01:32:00 AM »
The 3 blade broadhead worked for me with same bow weight. Only difference was heavier arrow-closer to 520. My son used a similar setup to yours for the first 3 years of his bowhunting and had no problem harvesting deer each of those 3 years.

Have also harvested animals with 160 grain 2 blade heads so either broadhead will do the job. The choice is really yours to make.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline skychief

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 01:44:00 AM »
Thanks Kelly.   Do you guys get complete pass throughs?

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 07:22:00 AM »
It will most likely do ok, but I would prefer a 3:1 ratio 2 blade for that set up.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Kc kreger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 10:04:00 AM »
Good discussion.  I too am dropping down in bow weights and was wondering if my Woodsman heads would still get 'er done.  Last year I hunted with a 50 # recurve and this year I'm leaning towards a lower poundage longbow.  Probably something close to 40#'s.  It is sad how one year older and the joints and such are so much worse off!

I guess for me it is more about which heads fly better and hit where I am looking than the design of 3 blades versus 2.  I think it is true that broadhead placement is more important than design.

Got to get out and do some experimenting soon.  Hopefully our string of 100 degree days will be ending and I can do that!

K.C.  <><
Oklahoma Selfbow Society member
Oklahoma Bowhunting Council member
Comptons Traditional Bowhunting member

Offline AWPForester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 10:14:00 AM »
I am sure the woodsman will do fine.  It being as long and skinny as it is.  But we all know that a 2 blade will out penetrate any threee blade made.  I shot deer last year with 48-49 pound Maddog longbow and 2 blade heads and got a complete passthru on a broadisde deer thru both shoulder blades, and I shot the second one down thru the neck, boiler room and out the sternum as she looked up at me.  That one did not go completely thru but buried to the feathers poking out the bottom.

Thos MAddog Midsize longbows shoot real hard, and I was only drawing 26 inches; so if you are drawing 27 or more, it would be comparible or even more energy than what I had. I would shoot what I had but when it come time to buy new ones they would be 2 blades.  Good luck and God Bless
Psalm 25:3 Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: Let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 10:55:00 AM »
I have had no issue with my Woodsmans in my 40# set-up. I was using 2 blade heads but had trouble with blood trails. Had someone bring up the fact that Iowa deer are fat and that fat can plug up the hole from a 2 blade.  I like the woodsman blood trail much better. Just make sure they are sharp and put the arrow in the right spot!
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 11:50:00 AM »
:thumbsup:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 01:26:00 PM »
My set-up works great!
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 01:31:00 PM »
Either one will work fine. I prefer 2 blades single bevel as I can get them sharper than any other type of head. If you can get the 3 blade as sharp or sharper than the 2 blade than use it.
James Kerr

Online gvdocholiday

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 02:30:00 PM »
I like the physics of the pyramid shaped woodsman...They penetrate very well.  I'll be using a 150grain woodsman for elk this August goine for the extra blade but narrower profile.  I just feel that the pyramid tip is stronger and punctures skin better than a two-blades tip.
"Live like you ain't afraid to die....don't be scared, just enjoy the ride."

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 05:17:00 PM »
I shoot 42# at my draw.  I only use two blade broadheads 325 to 350 grain heads on 28 1/2" Beman 500.  If I hit my quarry in the chest with a pass through, I feel I get good blood trails.  I don't get consistent pass through with 3 blade heads compared to 2 blade.  I've been fortunate to take some heavy/fat animals with 42# with very good blood trails...tippit
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 05:37:00 PM »
Hey Skychief....you might want to take a look at Zwickey Eskimo 4-blade broadheads.  I my experience they penetrate great and leave better blood than just a 2 blade Eskimo.  If ya ain't happy with how they penetrate after you try them, you can always break the bleeder blades off!
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline Longbow917

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 06:49:00 PM »
Great thread!  My son will be archery hunting his first year with a 43# @ 28" Maddog Kaliska.  He is only pulling a little over 26, so I put ACE 2-blades, 125 grain on his bamboo arrows.  About 450 grain arrows, should do the trick!  Those ACE heads are poppin' sharp after a little touching up!  Anxious to see the results if he arrows something this year.

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2012, 06:56:00 PM »
Eventually I want to order some 42-44# limbs for my PSAX Widow. I have a couple dozen of the Autumn Orange XX75's in 1918 that I need to use up and need a lighter set of limbs for proper spine. I would not have a second thought about using the 3 blade Woodsman with that set up.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2012, 06:57:00 PM »
40# - 45# Bow Harvest Pics? Do a search for this one
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2012, 07:39:00 PM »
im shooting about 50-51 lbs and will be using the 3 blade woodsman elites.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©